Enjoyed Elk Konnected update

Started by Rudy Taylor, August 13, 2008, 02:57:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rudy Taylor

I can't tell you how much I enjoyed attending the Elk Konnected update on Tuesday night in Severy. I work in and around lots of small communities, and I've never seen a more dedicated, determined group of citizens than the ones with whom I mingled Tuesday night.

Their vision statement says it all, and makes me want to involve myself even more with Elk Konnected:
Strong Families • Solid Education • Superior Lifestyle
"Stay With Us As We Grow!"

Elk County has some amazing people living and working there. Yes, the challenges are daunting, but the level of energy, intellect and expertise of those same people will result in a better tomorrow for all who are fortunate enough to be Elk Countians.

It truly is "a wonderful life."

Catwoman

Mr. Taylor...

What is Elk Konnected?  And, who is heading it up?  I am not familiar with this entity.

Catwoman

dnalexander

Catwoman if you look under general announcement\events and coffee shop for elk connected and elk konnected you will find many of the people you know from the forum are part of this great community organization.

David

L Hendricks

Rudy - THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU for being there last night.  For those of you who haven't been to an Elk Konnected meeting you are missing an incredible experience.  Catwoman - a little history and a review for other forum friends.  The Elk Konnected process started about 1 1/2 years ago.  Terry Woodbury, a facilitator with Ks Communities (www.kscomm.net) met with the various citizens of Elk County and Severy 4 times before a Steering Committee was formed.  The original steering committee was Richard Fish, Andrea Arbuckle, David Brace, Larry Galvan, Liz Hendricks, Dave Whetstone, Vic Donahey, Dave Sanchez, Chris Haag.  The process is developed around the public square - which is Business, Health & Human Services, Education, and Govt.  Of course we are talking Elk County, but we also felt it important to incorporate Severy b/c of our unique school system - hence the name Elk Konnected.  The committee then raised 3K seed money from over 74 donors.  Interviews were done by the steering committee and Terry W., surveys were handed out.  The info gathered was then presented at a community conversation last Oct in Longton - 126 people with representation from all 6 communities and all of the public square... the info was refined... how can we improve on the assets we have and strengthen each community while making the whole stronger. People were then nominated - again representing the public square to a vision retreat.  The retreat was held in Jan. with 50 people from the public square attending an 8hr retreat.  Here the info was refined again.  A vision statement developed and the information prioritized and refined into 5 action teams. 

We just held the Community Update which gave everyone a briefing of what the action teams had done, where they are struggling, and where they need to go next.  Terry has a great way of getting and keeping citizens engaged.  The action teams are: Physical Image, Wellness Center, youth Development, Communication, & Community standards.  Over 50 volunteers are meeting atleast monthly to work on these teams... and things are happening...

Again thanks to the many forum family for attending last night.  Terry is very impressed with how well we have engaged citizens from such a complex structure.  Terry is currently at various stages of this process in 14 other communities including Greensburg and Coffeyville. 

David - thanks for your encouragement. 

pepelect

Remember three words

Drive By Mowing

The better your yard the cooler your sign....

Rudy Taylor

Maybe we can turn the mowed weeds into itty-bitty pellets that can be burned in wood stoves.

OK.  Bad idea.

Drive-by mowing, indeed!

Tobina+1

Rudy; it was so good to see you again and to have you attend the meeting!  As fun as this forum is, I think it's always nice to be able to see people in person and converse like "normal" people!  'Cause you can tell we're not all normal all the time on here!   ;D

The next question for you and for all on here... how can we get more people to attend and to know what Elk Konnected is?  Catwoman; since you didn't know about it... can you fill us in on where you live and what types of communication you use (newspaper, websites, etc) so we can figure out how to reach more people in the future?

pam

Tobina, i am interested in what this Elk konnected is. I was born and raised in Severy but live in Missouri now. It is good to think about people tryin to do somthing with Severy again. I am interested in what you all are trying to do, could you give me info?
Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy.
William Butler Yeats

Rudy Taylor

One little explanation, in case nobody else has given one: I'm sure everyone knows that Severy is not located in Elk County, but since it is a part of the West Elk school district, everyone thought it was a good idea to connect with the Severy community.

By the way, Tuesday night was my first opportunity to visit the Severy school.  Very impressive.

Catwoman

I live in Wichita and get my news about Elk County off of the Forum.  I also have some very good friends (still!  After all of these years!  :D) who call me if there's something interesting going on...which means that I get regular phone calls...lol!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk