Longton Oil Refinery

Started by W. Gray, November 04, 2007, 08:41:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

W. Gray

First I have heard of a refinery in Longton (maybe I better check the Elk County history book), but there is a hand painted dish showing the Superior Refining Company for sale on Ebay

The dish is for sale by someone in Missouri.

Kansas Refinery Advertising

This is a neat little plate advertising The Superior Refining Company in Longton, Kansas (southeast of Wichita and due north of Tulsa). The Superior Refining Company was one of a number of independant refineries that sprung up in SE Kansas in the early 1900's as the big oil companies focused on Oklahoma where the oil was more plentiful and regulations less restricting. According to "A Standard History of Kansas and Kansans", written by William E. Connelley, The Superior Refining Company was built in 1905. This particular advertising or souvenir piece is a small 5 1/2" X 3 3/4" dish with the Refinery hand painted on the front. The detail is amazing for a hand painted piece this small! On the back is a stamped mark indicating it was made in Austria by Wheelock for Amsbury's General Merchandise in Longton. I would date it to sometime shortly after the refinery was built, about 1905-1915. It is in great condition with no chips, cracks, crazing, or other damage. The transfer printed gold decoration surrounding the picture is rubbed, but otherwise it is in great shape. Feel free to ask any questions and remember, I will be happy to combine purchases to save on shipping.

"If one of the many corrupt...county-seat contests must be taken by way of illustration, the choice of Howard County, Kansas, is ideal." Dr. Everett Dick, The Sod-House Frontier, 1854-1890.
"One of the most expensive county-seat wars in terms of time and money lost..." Dr. Homer E Socolofsky, KSU

W. Gray

There is a one sentence reference in the Elk County history book to a refinery:  "There was an oil boom and a refinery was established about a mile east of town close to the river and railroad."
"If one of the many corrupt...county-seat contests must be taken by way of illustration, the choice of Howard County, Kansas, is ideal." Dr. Everett Dick, The Sod-House Frontier, 1854-1890.
"One of the most expensive county-seat wars in terms of time and money lost..." Dr. Homer E Socolofsky, KSU

Bonnie M.

It's times like this when we really miss the "old timers" who have gone before us, with all of the knowledge of those early days!
Bonnie

W. Gray

http://img.inkfrog.com/click_enlarge1.php?image=IMG_7772.JPG&username=missouribookman&aid=38902382

Photo of the refinery is at above site.

A similar photo appears on page 72 of the Elk County history book.

Bonnie M.

I checked on Google, and there's some information on some web-sites, regarding the refinery.

That's an interesting plate that's for sale.  It sure does make me wonder who has it, how they happen to have it, etc., etc.!
Bonnie

W. Gray

Here is a photo of a postcard showing the Longton Oil Refinery provided by Jarhead.

It looks as though it was sent to a "Fae McKaig" in Howard from someone in Longton.

Anyone recognize a name like that?

jarhead

Bonnie,
I don't know who in Mo. has that Superior Refinery candy dish but I have one. I can't find the one on E-bay but by the description I'm sure it's the same one. Years back I was a member of the T-Town Bottle club (Tulsa ) A member sent me the dish he had found at a flea market. I did have to pay him the 61 cents it cost him for postage to send it. Another forum member has a plate that has the Superior Refinery on it but I better let her share it if she sees fit. :)
The refinery sit right across from the river bridge east (4 corners ) & south of town. There is still a round rock tank or something you can see on the side of the hill when leaves are off the trees. It almost looks like a WW-II pillbox.By the pictures of the refinery you can't see the river but it must of really cut into the south bank because it is almost up to the old RR track bed, now

flintauqua

From a page about gasoline collectibles:

Kanotex
Wayne Henderson and Scott Benjamin (Guide To Gasoline Logos) said the company was founded as Superior Refining in Longton, KS in 1905, although the Kanotex brandname (contraction of "Kansas-Oklahoma-Texas") was not used until 1909. In 1917, they moved to Arkansas City, KS

Judy Harder

The refinery sit right across from the river bridge east (4 corners ) & south of town. There is still a round rock tank or something you can see on the side of the hill when leaves are off the trees. It almost looks like a WW-II pillbox.By the pictures of the refinery you can't see the river but it must of really cut into the south bank because it is almost up to the old RR track bed, now

I thought that was where it was. Glenn Barnaby had told me it was just east of here and with the picture of what looks like the "hitchin creek" going through and the train running like it was........"I think it was on land that Everett Moore owned.

I am fasinated with this story......since I wasn't born and raised here, it is nice to finally put a picture in my mind.
Thanks Ron.
and Waldo.
Today, I want to make a difference.
Here I am Lord, use me!

jarhead

Judy,
Go east to "4 corners", turn north to Picketts or Dallas Beem, but turn south. Right after you go across the Elk river bridge the road curves towards the east. The refinery was south and west of that curve. Back in the timber on the hill there are lots of old barrel rings and junk like that scattered around---or used to be ,years back.
   Just east of town, and north, on Hitchen creek was an old grist mill. Ii've been told it was almost straight east of the sewer lagoons but I really don't know. There was also a grist mill on Elk river straight south of Jim Nichols house at Oak valley. Jim used to have a big stone wheel looking thing he had got out of the river. called it a "burr" something or other. You need to ask Bonnie Mustoe about things like that. She is old enough that she should remember the refinery. :)
(Just joshing you Bonnie )

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk