County Commission Meeting - 2/11/2013

Started by Patriot, February 11, 2013, 08:14:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Patriot

In what amounted to a relatively uneventful commission meeting today, the board entertained a representative from the 'save the youth development program' group.  The representative presented a letter and an uncertified petition in favor of reinstsating the position & keeping Jennifer Montgomery in that job.  The representative claimed there were 165 signatures on the petition.  An hour long discussion among the gallery ensued covering everything from the desire for Elk County to use taxpayer dollars to subsidize street maintenance in Howard (?) to the possbility of enhanced public support of the Boy & Girl Scouts, FFA, 4-H & other youth oriented programs.  When the commission did not seem interested in changing its' position, one of the presenters suggested that perhaps the commission could consider giving Ms. Mongomery additional hours by expanding the Economic Development position.  Commissioner Ritz pointed out that such a move seemed counterproductive to any efforts to reduce county expenses.

In other commission news, the Commission voted on the resolution needed to distribute parks & recreation monies to the various towns as agreed in a previous meeting.  The resolution was adopted on a 2 to 1 vote with Commissioner Liebau voting against the resolution.  The County Counselor indicated that necessary inter-local agreements were being prepared.

A proposal was presented that was accepted by all commissioners to engage a private contractor to accomplish repairs to the exterior mortar on the sheriff's building in an amount slightly over $800.00.

Two executive sessions were held.  One with the commission, the maintenance supervisor & county counseler regarding non-elected employee invasion of privacy issues.  The second with the commission & county counselor to discuss a potential lawsuit involving the county.

Finally, the commission approved payment of bills & expenses in an amount some over $80,000.00.

Conservative to the Core!
Gun control means never having to fire twice.
Social engineering, left OR right usually ends in a train wreck.

Bullwinkle

Thanks again for the run down, Patriot.

Janet Harrington

ddurbin

It was pointed out that on numerous occasions the previous Board of Commissoners did not always conduct their meetings in strict adherence with proper protocol, i.e. not calling executive sessions properly among other things.  How is the new Board doing in that regard?  Do the meetings so far seem to be run more effectively and properly?

Patriot

Quote from: ddurbin on February 13, 2013, 09:54:07 AM
It was pointed out that on numerous occasions the previous Board of Commissoners did not always conduct their meetings in strict adherence with proper protocol, i.e. not calling executive sessions properly among other things.  How is the new Board doing in that regard?  Do the meetings so far seem to be run more effectively and properly?

In initial attempts, the new board failed miserably in the proper structure of motions on Monday.  I spoke with the chairman after the fact and pointed that out.  Mr. Ritz was quite receptive to the criticism.  Regarding any other KOMA issues, I haven't seen any missteps.  I have noticed that care is being taken to avoid calling executive sessions for group wage matters that can not be legally discussed outside the public view.  Questions?

Conservative to the Core!
Gun control means never having to fire twice.
Social engineering, left OR right usually ends in a train wreck.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk