Overtime pay???

Started by Patriot, November 01, 2011, 10:53:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Patriot

I didn't realize paid overtime was a component of salaried employee compensation...

Neither did a bunch of other salaried employees when it was revealed by Commissioner Ritz at yesterday's county commission meeting that Mr. Mitchell, EMS Director, receives a county salary for paramedic duties, a separate county salary for directer duties, and has been claiming and receiving 'overtime' every month for many years.  His explanation was that he's entitled to it and was told to do it from the beginning.

My research showed that under the Federal Fair Labor Standards Act (FSLA), Mr. Mitchell would be an exempted salaried employee... meaning 'overtime' provisions of the FSLA don't apply to him.

Mr. Ritz also asked if the EMS had made a large ($20,000+) advance payment on the ambulance bank loan in August as requested some months earlier by Commissioner Hendricks.  Mitchell's answer?  "No, we didn't have the money."  I wonder where the money has been going.

Mr Ritz moved to stop the overtime nonsense... the motion was seconded and passed 2 to 1.  But Commissioner Liebau was quick to offer Mitchell a chance to come back and renegotiate a new (presumably more costly) contract, which Mitchell instantly accepted.  Gee, a current compensation package worth $50,000 to $60,000 isn't enough for an Elk County EMS Director who's department averaged 12.5 ambulance runs per month in the last two months?

Thanks Commissioner Ritz for looking out for the taxpayer.  It's a welcome departure from the status quo.

Three questions and a reminder....

1) What world does one need to live in to not know that salaried folks don't get overtime pay?
2) What does this say about the knowledge level of county management?
3) Has the empty rock budget got you down?

Reminder:  Our property taxes are due soon.... again.

I think I'll pass on that second cup of coffee today.  A penny saved is a penny that can be mis-spent by local government.

Thanks for visiting.

Conservative to the Core!
Gun control means never having to fire twice.
Social engineering, left OR right usually ends in a train wreck.

Wilma

Correct me if I am wrong, but Mr. Mitchell is the EMS Director and as such receives a salary whether he works one hour or twenty-four hours a day.  Mr. Mitchell is also a paramedic and spends many hours working as such.  Should he not be paid for his work as a paramedic?  He doesn't have to be a paramedic to hold the position of director.  Just how much would it cost the county to employ a full time director and another full time paramedic if they could find one?  I don't believe that he is being paid overtime for director work, but it is possible that he receives overtime pay for his work as a para as the department is always short on employees. 

Now let's look at where that $20,000 should have come from.  If it were to come from ambulance runs, 12 and 1/2 runs a month isn't going to make it along with the other EMS expenses.  If on the other hand, Mr. Mitchell were given the $20,000 for the payment and he didn't make it, we would have something to worry about.  There is no way that anyone is going to convince me that Mr. Mitchell isn't doing what is best for Elk County.  If that means that he gets paid a reasonable amount for his services, so be it.  Just where do you get the $50,000 to $60,000 figure?  The EMS director wasn't receiving that when Janet filled the position.  What she got plus her pay as Sheriff didn't even come to that.

Patriot

Quote from: Wilma on November 01, 2011, 11:27:34 AM
Correct me if I am wrong, but Mr. Mitchell is the EMS Director and as such receives a salary whether he works one hour or twenty-four hours a day.  Mr. Mitchell is also a paramedic and spends many hours working as such.  Should he not be paid for his work as a paramedic?  He doesn't have to be a paramedic to hold the position of director.  Just how much would it cost the county to employ a full time director and another full time paramedic if they could find one?  I don't believe that he is being paid overtime for director work, but it is possible that he receives overtime pay for his work as a para as the department is always short on employees. 

He's paid a salary for both positions.  The salaried status precludes overtime.  Only hourly employees are entitled to overtime.

Quote from: Wilma on November 01, 2011, 11:27:34 AM
Just where do you get the $50,000 to $60,000 figure?  The EMS director wasn't receiving that when Janet filled the position.  What she got plus her pay as Sheriff didn't even come to that.

I also have no doubt, after hearing his rant yesterday, that Mr. Mitchell has nothing but the best for himself in mind either.

Never managed a payroll have you dear? 

Para salary:  ~3600/month
Director salary ~700/month
Overtime claims (unknown)
Paid Health insurance:  ~ 1200/month paid by taxpayers

Total monthly compensation:  ~ $5500 x 12 = $66,000/year

Seems I was being conservative in my estimates.

Conservative to the Core!
Gun control means never having to fire twice.
Social engineering, left OR right usually ends in a train wreck.

srkruzich

Getting paid two salaries to hold  government jobs which overlap?  You gotta be kidding!  What idiot thought up this scheme.
No company in their right mind would pay two salaries for one employee to do the two jobs.  Thats foolishness. Does two salaries include two benefit packages as well?

Why not pay the ole boy 3600 a month to be a paramedic and director. Shoot he doesn't have to do much on either job other than be on call.   I would LOVE a sweet deal like that!  Give me 3600 to do both jobs!  22.50 a hour isn't chump change around here!

Oh also Patriot, OVERTIME is not part of salaried employees package. Thats not even considered. THough comp time could be if you spend a inordinate amount of hours working.  I used to be salaried too and when i was spending 96 hours a week they comped me days off to pay for the excess hours.

ALSO OVERTIME stops when you make 27.50 per hour. Its not required by law when you reach that amount for hourly employees.
Curb your politician.  We have leash laws you know.

Wilma

So who was it that granted him overtime in the first place?  I doubt that he just decided to do it all on his own.

I would like to get something straight here now.  Is it Mr. Mitchell that this thread is criticizing?  If it isn't, then let's just drop his name now and not mention it again.

No, I do not have any experience in payroll other than doing the taxes for it.

Now for the facts.  Do you think that $3600.00 a month is out of line for a paramedic?

Do you think that $700 a month is too much to pay someone to run the EMS?  It doesn't seem to be very much.  Not enough to pay for someone to do only that and nothing else.  They would have to have another job, so why not have a paramedic be the director, also.  And why shouldn't he be paid for doing two jobs?  If you were doing it, wouldn't you want to be paid for both of them.  What is the difference in a paramedic doing the two jobs and someone else being the director and holding down another job?

As to the overtime, the mistake was made a long time ago.  Perhaps by someone who isn't even here now.  Instead of bitching about it now, why not give the commissioners time to get it straightened out.  If they don't get it done, then is the time to bitch.

Steve, have you ever been a paramedic?  Do you know what they have to do every day besides make ambulance runs?  It certainly amounts to more than just being on call.  Being on call means that you can't do anything that you can't just drop and run.  You have to be in uniform all day, barring you from a lot of things, such as bull riding.  Takes all the fun out of the day. 

Oh, yes, there is the matter of the health insurance that is paid for them.  How many jobs do not provide health insurance for their employees?  And whose fault is it that it is so expensive?

Ross

Wichita Paramedic $36,000 a year median pay
Topeka Paramedic $35,653 a year median pay
Kansas City Paramedic $37, 730 a year median pay

Lowest $27,960, highest $46,645

Does this info help?

Theses area's have extremely higher populations than Elk County has which translates in a lot more call outs and considerably more work don't ya think?

srkruzich

Quote from: Wilma on November 01, 2011, 02:47:37 PM

Do you think that $700 a month is too much to pay someone to run the EMS?  It doesn't seem to be very much.  Not enough to pay for someone to do only that and nothing else.  They would have to have another job, so why not have a paramedic be the director, also.  And why shouldn't he be paid for doing two jobs?  If you were doing it, wouldn't you want to be paid for both of them.  What is the difference in a paramedic doing the two jobs and someone else being the director and holding down another job?
Yes i would call it excessive. Add 100 a month or even 200 to their salary but no more.

QuoteSteve, have you ever been a paramedic?  Do you know what they have to do every day besides make ambulance runs?  It certainly amounts to more than just being on call.  Being on call means that you can't do anything that you can't just drop and run.  You have to be in uniform all day, barring you from a lot of things, such as bull riding.  Takes all the fun out of the day. 
Nope i haven't but yes i have been on call before in the industry i was in, 24 x7, No i'm not dumb enough to go crawling on top of a 1800 pound animal with deadly weapons attached to their heads and pissed off to boot

QuoteOh, yes, there is the matter of the health insurance that is paid for them.  How many jobs do not provide health insurance for their employees?  And whose fault is it that it is so expensive?

Most jobs do not provide 100% covered health insurance. And rightfully so.  It is the employees responsibility for their insurance.  Does the company pay auto or home insurance?  why pay for health insurance for the employee?  That is only a benefit which was started back in the 50's, which we will see disappear in the near future.  It is the last of a age where youonly had to work 40 hour weeks and your wife stayed at home and kept house.

srkruzich

Quote from: Ross on November 01, 2011, 05:17:57 PM

Does this info help?

Theses area's have extremely higher populations than Elk County has which translates in a lot more call outs and considerably more work don't ya think?
WOW he's paid extremelly well!  Must be nice when the county can't afford gravel

kshillbillys

Holy shit that's a lot of money! I'm a county employee receiving an hourly wage. My monthly income varies between $1200-$1500 a month and when I get overtime it's done by comp time. I expect to be getting some comp time in the near future or when the snow starts blowing again and we are out plowing the damn roads off, so everyone can get to town to go to the coffee shop. I am so proud that I voted for Doug Ritz as opposed to the Yes Man they were trying to put into office. After looking at other Paramedic salaries in other towns with a helluva bigger population, what kind of moron allowed this to go on for how many years? I can think of a few people that should be run out of town on a rail with tar and feathers! Oh and Wilma, in 2008, the Muslim in the White House started preaching about free healthcare to everyone...NOW the insurance rates have gone up. I know I'm wasting my breath, you just won't get it.---Mr. Robert L. Walker
ROBERT AND JENNIFER WALKER

YOU CALL US HILLBILLYS LIKE THAT'S A BAD THING! WE ARE SO FLATTERED!

THAT'S MS. HILLBILLY TO YOU!

Ross

So who was it that granted him overtime in the first place?  I doubt that he just decided to do it all on his own.

Excellent question and I believe some council person should dig into it and get us an asnwer.

I would like to get something straight here now.  Is it Mr. Mitchell that this thread is criticizing?  If it isn't, then let's just drop his name now and not mention it again.

I do believe it was mentioned that Mr. Mitchell addressed the Commissioners in open session considering the situation making it public information. And I don't hear anyone bad mouthing Mr. Mitchell just discussing his situation as a County Employee.
He is one of our (yours, miine and everyone else who pays taxes) employee. It was not handled in executive session. So, what is the problem?

No, I do not have any experience in payroll other than doing the taxes for it.

Now for the facts.  Do you think that $3600.00 a month is out of line for a paramedic?
It sounds far more than fair concerning the incomes and cost of living in Elk County. If he is being paid $43,200 a year.
Recall
And the cost of living is considerably higher in the city then here.

Do you think that $700 a month is too much to pay someone to run the EMS?  It doesn't seem to be very much.  Not enough to pay for someone to do only that and nothing else.  They would have to have another job, so why not have a paramedic be the director, also.  And why shouldn't he be paid for doing two jobs?  If you were doing it, wouldn't you want to be paid for both of them.  What is the difference in a paramedic doing the two jobs and someone else being the director and holding down another job?

Yes!

I believe they said he is being paid for both jobs. Does he want more money, I would think so. I too would like more money. I'd like my Social Security check amount doubled. LOL Is more money availablefor his position? I don''t know. Is the job worth more money? In my honest opinion, no.

See the amounts paid in KC, Wichita and Topeka below.
EMS in Sedgewick County make approximately 115 runs per day.  I'm not looking up the other two cities this should give you an idea of what happens where they get paid the bigger money.

As to the overtime, the mistake was made a long time ago.  Perhaps by someone who isn't even here now.  Instead of bitching about it now, why not give the commissioners time to get it straightened out.  If they don't get it done, then is the time to bitch.

I believe it was said thet the Council asked him to return to negotiate his salary, and I believe what we are doing is only a discussion.

Steve, have you ever been a paramedic?  Do you know what they have to do every day besides make ambulance runs?  It certainly amounts to more than just being on call.  Being on call means that you can't do anything that you can't just drop and run.  You have to be in uniform all day, barring you from a lot of things, such as bull riding.  Takes all the fun out of the day.

Being on call means they can call you and you can be doing whatever you want to be doing and normally does not require you to be in uniform. On call does not recieve pay nor overtime.

Being on standby means being at home and ready to go. For employees on an hourly wage that means regular pay unless it runs over 40 hours for your work week, then it means overtime? But he is not on a 40 hour work week.

This is also an occupation decision each persons makes and accepts either salary or wage when it is offered to them.

Job Description for Paramedic

Provides advanced life support care to patients who are ill and/or injured. Transports and transfers patients and assesses the extent of an illness or injury to establish and prioritize medical procedures to follow. Applies artificial respiration or administers oxygen in cases of suffocation and asphyxiation, dispenses antiseptic solution to prevent infection, starts and administers intravenous fluids, and performs other emergency medical procedures during the ambulance ride. Requires a high school diploma, registered with the EMT National Registry, licensed by State EMS Authority, and 2-4 years of related experience. Must be CPR certified. Familiar with standard concepts, practices, and procedures within a particular field. Relies on experience and judgment to plan and accomplish goals. Performs a variety of tasks. Typically reports to manager.

In this case he get's an extra $700 a month for doing how much work? How long would it take to do the routine and most likely pre-written paper work  forms for 12 1/2 average runs per month?

Oh, yes, there is the matter of the health insurance that is paid for them.  How many jobs do not provide health insurance for their employees?  And whose fault is it that it is so expensive?
It is considered a benefit of working just like the pay check is a benefit of working.

I once worked a job with a rotating shift that changed weekly, it was really rough on my whole physical system. But it was a job I accepted at the going pay scale which I never complained about. I was stuck in the position for 7 1/2 years which then made me elidigible to move up to a better job due to seniority. It's the way the systemed worked. I to recieved health insurance which I had to pay half of the premiums and still considered myself fortunate.

Personally, I would think he would be more than happy with his income. If not, I am sure ther are plenty of people that would be. there are a lot of people out of work. Perhaps we could find a paramedic with 12 children and boost our school enrollment.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk