Brick Plant at Moline

Started by ddurbin, October 29, 2006, 08:31:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Teresa

sniff sniff... that's ok...
I'm over it now.
Well Behaved Women Rarely Make History !

Wilma

Teresa

OK.. yes!

Friends Friends  Friends........
Well Behaved Women Rarely Make History !

Janet Harrington

Mother,

Ms. T is not BIGGER than me.  She is just TALLER AND THINNER.  I doubt if she would wnat this short fat woman to land on her hard. 

And Ms. T, when you stick your tongue out at my mother (who has eyes in the back of her head), you get a SPANKING with the flyswatter.  Don't ever do it.  Believe me when I say...MY MOTHER HAS EYES IN THE BACK OF HER HEAD.

flintauqua

I think I'll revive this topic.

Dan's original posts about the brick plant begin in May 1906.  And the purchase of the R. D. Miller tract is mentioned.

Here is a snip from the 1903 George A. Ogle & Co. Standard Atlas of Elk County.  

The entire page this is from is available to view at:  http://www.kansasmemory.org/item/209401/page/14

Notice the acerage owned by R. D. Miller in Section 16, amounting to 120 acres.  But also note the eighty acres across the road east in section 15 which is owned by the "Moline Brick, Gas & Oil Co."  This is three years before the newspaper articles about the first brick plant start, so apparently the idea had been around for a while.  Notice several gas wells just east of the aforementioned parcel, which would have been key to the notion of operating a brick plant.

"Gloom, despair, and agony on me
Deep, dark depression, excessive misery
If it weren't for bad luck, I'd have no luck at all
Gloom, despair, and agony on me"

I thought I was an Ayn Randian until I decided it wasn't in my best self-interest.

W. Gray

As an aside:

This is a 1903 map. Frank Webb is shown as owning several parcels around Moline, one of them adjacent to the brick plant property.

Twenty-nine years earlier, Frank Webb had a sort of major but minor role during the Boston War.

He was one of two school boys who were assigned the task of ringing the Boston school bell for thirty minutes as an alarm.

The alarm was a call to arms for the Boston paramilitary force whenever riders from Elk Falls were approaching.
"If one of the many corrupt...county-seat contests must be taken by way of illustration, the choice of Howard County, Kansas, is ideal." Dr. Everett Dick, The Sod-House Frontier, 1854-1890.
"One of the most expensive county-seat wars in terms of time and money lost..." Dr. Homer E Socolofsky, KSU

flintauqua

If I knew that, I had forgotten it.  Uncle Frank (as the Durbin's refer to him) had a long, eventful and prosperous life.
"Gloom, despair, and agony on me
Deep, dark depression, excessive misery
If it weren't for bad luck, I'd have no luck at all
Gloom, despair, and agony on me"

I thought I was an Ayn Randian until I decided it wasn't in my best self-interest.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk