Author Topic: Walker/ Colt  (Read 11116 times)

Offline Cyrille

• Top Active Citizen
  • "To sing, to laugh, to dream, cock my hat, or gun"
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Walker/ Colt
« on: May 05, 2006, 07:38:52 AM »
 I dream of owning and shooting a Walker/Colt sometime in the not too distant future.
   Howsomever, I'm courious as to what the general consensus is  of those who own or have shot this particular revolver, namely the .44 caliber Walker/Colt by Umberti. I would also entertain  the possibility of buying any other Walker/Colt replicas suggested.
  I would also buy a 'replacement' cylinder for the Walker/Colt so that I might use it as a cartridge gun and not cap & ball. I would also like to know if the revolver comes in .45 caliber LC

I realize that this is a B.P. only revolver and would load it accordingly.
Any information and/or suggestions will be considered.
                                                                         Thanks
CYRILLE...  R.A.T. #242
"Never apologize Mr.; it's a sign of weakness."
Capt. Nathan Brittles {John Wayne} in "She Wore a Yellow Ribbon."

"A gun is  just a tool. No better and no worse than any other tool----- Think of it always in that way. A gun is as good--- and as bad--- as the man who carries it. Remember that."
                                                   Shane

Offline Tommy tornado

• Top Active Citizen
  • Keep your pants and your powder dry.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 7
Re: Walker/ Colt
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2006, 09:16:07 AM »
Two things I would do are shoulder exercises and bicep/tricep workouts.  They are heavy but a hoot to shoot.  I have 3 Armi San Marco Walkers and I am very happy with them.  Take a bit of practice shooting them one-handed.  Never fired mine cartridge but I may look into getting one of the three converted one day.
Keep your pants and your powder dry!
# 356056

Offline Yankee John

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2006, 09:43:11 AM »
I have an ASM Walker and fired it for the first time a couple weeks ago. I loaded it with 50 gr. pyrodex P and .457 balls.

UN-FREAKING-BELIEVABLE!!!  An ABSOLUTE CANNON!!! You won't believe the smoke, fire, and THUNDER!  I am in awe of this hunk of iron- It's my favorite firearm now!

I thought about a conversion cylinder too,  but after firing it with BP, WHY WOULD I WANT TO MAKE IT LESS POWERFUL?

JMO,
John

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 06:27:09 PM »

Offline Cyrille

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2006, 02:28:16 PM »
You mean to say that the cylinder of the Walker holds more BP or BP substitute than does a .44 cartridge? I would have thought that the opposite would be true! Besides, I intend to use the Walker only in SASS/CAS matches and to use the Holy Black exclusively in that firearm.
   I am undecided as to what granulation of BP FG (Cannon powder, FFG Rifle powder, FFFG pistol powder or even FFFFG priming powder.) I lean toward the middle ground here, either FFG or FFFG but I know next to nothing about the Walker/Colt nor which would be the better fire arm  ASM or an Umberti. As far as loads are concerned I will use a reputable reloading manual and let the gun decide which load it digests best as well as which bullet/ball it prefers.
  What, if any,  is the price diffrence between the two firearms? If they are compairable in price and quality and both have a replacement cylinder I may purchase either. If, however one comes in .45 caliber that one will be purchased if it has a replacement cylinder or just comes with a .45 cylinder/barrel as an orginal part of the revolver.  8)
CYRILLE...  R.A.T. #242

"A gun is  just a tool. No better and no worse than any other tool----- Think of it always in that way. A gun is as good--- and as bad--- as the man who carries it. Remember that."
                                                   Shane

Offline Yankee John

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2006, 05:13:40 PM »
To compare,  I have an Uberti Cattleman Colt and a Pietta Remington 1858 with an R&D Conversion cylinder. While very powderful in .45 Long Colt Cowboy loads,  They are total wimps when compared to a Walker with 50-60 gr. of BP or Pyrodex!

Uberti Walkers are commonly available everywhere and are of great quality. I don't know if you can even buy a new ASM Walker anymore (mine was a used gunshow purchase, date-coded from the early 1990's).

John

Offline Cyrille

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2006, 05:36:48 PM »
Thanks John,
   Looks like it'll be a Uberti Walker/Colt for me from what I've seen thus far on this thread w/ cartridge conversion cylinder sometime in the not-too-distant-future.
   However I'm still left 'hanging' on the .45 caliber question, can anyone  tell me whether these pistols can safely handle that caliber bullet being pushed by the Holy Black? You see all of my SASS guns so far are in .45 LC. I wouldn't mind going to a smaller volume case such as the Schofield if I can't use the LC case in this revolver so long as I could use .45 caliber bullets. But I'm not adverse to useing a .44 caliber bullet in the Uberti if I have to.
CYRILLE...  R.A.T. #242

Shane

Offline Tommy tornado

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2006, 08:25:27 PM »
   I am undecided as to what granulation of BP FG (Cannon powder, FFG Rifle powder, FFFG pistol powder or even FFFFG priming powder.) I lean toward the middle ground here, either FFG or FFFG but I know next to nothing about the Walker/Colt nor which would be the better fire arm  ASM or an Umberti.   8)

I would advise against shooting 4fg powder in the Walker.  It might blow up!!! :o  3fg powder is going to be slightly hotter than the 2fg powder but both will work effectively.  1fg powder will shoot slower but will fill up more of the cylander.
# 356056

Offline Tommy tornado

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2006, 08:31:39 PM »
Thanks John,
   Looks like it'll be a Uberti Walker/Colt for me from what I've seen thus far on this thread w/ cartridge conversion cylinder sometime in the not-too-distant-future.
   However I'm still left 'hanging' on the .45 caliber question, can anyone  tell me whether these pistols can safely handle that caliber bullet being pushed by the Holy Black? You see all of my SASS guns so far are in .45 LC. I wouldn't mind going to a smaller volume case such as the Schofield if I can't use the LC case in this revolver so long as I could use .45 caliber bullets. But I'm not adverse to useing a .44 caliber bullet in the Uberti if I have to.
It could more than likely handle BP loaded or cowboy loads in .45 LC.  As of right now I don't know of R & D or Krist making a conversion cylinder for the Walker.  I have only seen custom made or home built conversions of the Walker.  Such as this man's work:

http://www.armsportllc.com/colt.htm
# 356056

Offline Cyrille

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2006, 09:20:40 PM »
Midway offers a .44 caliber 'conversion cylinder for its Uberti Walker[sold seperately] by Walk-U manufactury does anyone have information on this entity ???
CYRILLE...  R.A.T. #242

Shane

Offline Cyrille

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2006, 09:30:11 PM »
Thanks Mr. Tornado: the conversion cylinder that Uberti offers for its Walker instructions are 34 grs of BP or BP subsitute in the cartridge behind a .44 caliber bullet. Is this load sufficent for SASS/CAS shooting?
CYRILLE...  R.A.T. #242

Shane

Offline Yankee John

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2006, 09:45:12 PM »
the conversion cylinder made for the Uberti walker is made by R&D.  There was an article on it in one of the most recent issues of "Guns of the Old West" magazines.

John

Offline Cyrille

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2006, 10:01:19 PM »
 The last issue I have is dated spring 2006 in it it talks about "The Guns of Gus McCrea" and mentions Taylor's & Co. Walker in .44caliber cap& ball  and .45 Colt  with R&D cylinder [sold separately] is this the article ?
CYRILLE...  R.A.T. #242

Shane

Offline Tommy tornado

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2006, 11:09:05 PM »
I have only seen the conversion cylinder for the Dragoon.  Didn't know that a Walker cylinder was being produced.  Currently, I don't think Taylor's has it on their website.
# 356056

Offline Tommy tornado

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2006, 10:09:41 AM »
If it is like their normal drop in cylinders then the only drawback I see is not having a loading gate.  I used the Remington Drop-in Cylinders for about a year at SASS events, and they worked great.  Of course switching out cylinders in a Remington is easier than in a Colt.  Usually the first couple of times that you drive the wedge out of colt style cap and ball pistols it is quite tight.  I would also suggest you get a brass punch when you buy your Walker.
# 356056

Offline Cyrille

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2006, 11:44:41 AM »
 Thank you Mr. Tornado:
 I will most certainly do as you suggest and purchase a brass punch. If you think of any more pre-purchases that should be made before the BIG one please do not hesitate to let me know. I really apprecaite the information provided thus far. :)
CYRILLE...  R.A.T. #242

Shane

Offline Wild Ben Raymond

• Wild Ben Raymond
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: May 07, 2006, 08:06:02 PM »
Howdy! Just had to say I was on a posse today & a fellow was shooting a walker colt repo.(and very well I might add) He was using a conversion cylinder and I asked him during lunch break how he liked it. He told me that he enjoys it more now than when shooting ball & cap because with the larger charges of lose powder & ball would cause the loading lever to come open about every other shot. Just thought I'd mention that to you to take into consideration when buying one. Wild Ben Raymond

Offline Tommy tornado

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: May 07, 2006, 09:15:53 PM »
Cyrille have you thought about what kind of leather you are going to tote your hand cannon in?  Strong-hand or crossdraw?  I use a strong-hand slim jim because I don't want to dance.  At one point I was using a gun bucket because I could start out straight draw and then finish because my body was already turned and reholster it crossdraw style.
# 356056

Offline Cyrille

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: May 07, 2006, 11:06:40 PM »
Not really, I have an old open end western style holister that measures 10 3/4" from top to bottom, I figure that it was made to accomodate a 7 1/2" barrel so it is probable if my guesstamate is correct that the Walker's barrel will extend 2" beyond the bottom I hope that that will be acceptable at SASS/CASS competitions.
CYRILLE...  R.A.T. #242

Shane

Offline Cyrille

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: May 07, 2006, 11:14:19 PM »
Howdy! Just had to say I was on a posse today & a fellow was shooting a walker colt repo.(and very well I might add) He was using a conversion cylinder and I asked him during lunch break how he liked it. He told me that he enjoys it more now than when shooting ball & cap because with the larger charges of lose powder & ball would cause the loading lever to come open about every other shot. Just thought I'd mention that to you to take into consideration when buying one. Wild Ben Raymond
Thank you Mr. Raymond:
                    I appricate your input, I intend to buy a conversion cylinder when i purchase the Walker, I had, until they waz stole a few years ago a Navy Colt & .44 caliber Remmington cap & ball pistols and that feller you spoke with waz right some of the time the loading lever did come loose and nick me knuckles.
CYRILLE...  R.A.T. #242

Shane

Offline Tommy tornado

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: May 08, 2006, 08:34:11 PM »
Not only is it a longer pistol but also a thicker pistol. 
# 356056

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com