Gary Cooper Trivia

Started by Cyrille, March 06, 2006, 03:26:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cyrille

Ok guys & gals, this here trivia topic will deal with Mr. Gary Cooper. He was thye man before the "Duke" and legend has it that they were good friends although they never appeared in a movie together. In this thread you will be asked to identifiy the movie. The hint may be a quote or something about the movie. I will try to stick to westerns and war pictures, but don't be put out if some of his later movies, not nessasairly westerns or war is not
the subject.
Ok here goes:
The first one is real easy--- "When you call me that--- smile."
2. 1927 western a silent film based on a Zane Grey story Mr. Cooper plays a "bad boy" of the plains, trying to reform,ala John Wayne in "The Angle and the Badman& "Stagecoach." [one word title.]
3.The first technicolor film for both the director Cecil B. DeMille and Gary Cooper Coop plays "Dusty Rivers" A Texas Ranger but the movie has nothing to do with Texas. other stars were Robert Preston , Paulette Goddard
Ok that's it for now.
CYRILLE...  R.A.T. #242
"Never apologize Mr.; it's a sign of weakness."
Capt. Nathan Brittles {John Wayne} in "She Wore a Yellow Ribbon."

"A gun is  just a tool. No better and no worse than any other tool----- Think of it always in that way. A gun is as good--- and as bad--- as the man who carries it. Remember that."
                                                   Shane

Silver Creek Slim

1. The Virginian
2. Nevada
3. North West Mounted Police

Slim
NCOWS 2329, WartHog, SCORRS, SBSS, BHR, GAF, RBCS, Dirty RATS, BTBM, IPSAC, Cosie-in-training
I love the smell of Black Powder in the morning!

Cyrille

WOW!! Perfect score you must have  a book or have watched a lot of "Coop's" movies and possess a phenomenal memory. good going Mr. Slim!
CYRILLE...  R.A.T. #242

"A gun is  just a tool. No better and no worse than any other tool----- Think of it always in that way. A gun is as good--- and as bad--- as the man who carries it. Remember that."
                                                   Shane

Cyrille

ok guys & gals,  Mister Slim got all three correct so here's more ---staring Gary Cooper; Betty  Jewel, Jack Luden etc, etc, etc, and FLASH the wonder horse.

1. This is a staple of the western genere with chases, fights and a finial shootout, made in 1927 this film received mixed reviews mostly praising Cooper but denigating the storyline.

2.This one should be fairly easy:
    it is a remake of movie first filmed in 1913/14 and remade in 1923, 1930 w/ Coop  a William Boyd, not later Hopalong Cassidy. & Betty Compson made again in 1942 with John Wayne, Randolph Scott and Marlene Dietrich and lastly in 1955 w/Rory Calhoun, Anne Baxter and Jeff Chandler [what goes around comes around]

3.Based on a novel by Zane Grey this picture deals with the trek westward. An actress named Lily Damita is Cooper's love interest Cooper is langishing in jail  for disturbing the peace and 'Felice' [Lily Damita] agrees to act as Cooper's character's wife so that he may lead the wagon train west, there's an Indian attackwhich Cooper quells by dumping kerosene into the river the train is attempting to cross and this takes the impetious out of the attack. The Motion Picture Herald said of Cooper's performance " -----"He looks and acts like a frontiersman rather than a Hollywood actor trying to resemble a cowman."
Name the picture and the main character of this adaptation of the 1929 Zane Grey novel
CYRILLE...  R.A.T. #242

Shane

Russ T Chambers

#2  The Spoilers             
   #3  Fighting Caravans
Russ T. Chambers
Roop County Cowboy Shooters Association
SASS Lifer/Regulator #262
WartHog
SBSS #1441
IPSAC
CRPA Lifer 
NSRPA Lifer
NRA Benefactor Member
Brother of the Arrow

Cyrille

Yep, y'u got 2 & 3 korrect, the 1st is "The Last Outlaw" and Cooper's Character is named Clint Belmet
CYRILLE...  R.A.T. #242

Shane

Cyrille

Alright Boys & Girls we've been moving through Cooper's early days as an up & coming star, today We'll go to some of his movies in the fifties, 1950's that is; to see if we can get more "players."
This is a comedy where Cooper plays the part of a Naval Reserve officer in charge of a patrol craft that is refitted with a steam turbine in place of a diesel engine other stars are Jack Webb, [of"Dragenet" a 50's T.V. police drama], Eddie Albert[ of "Green Acres fame]. The part was Mr. Cooper's first staring role at 20th Century Fox. The movie was released under two diffrent titles. Name them.
2. This movie, a western is an eight or nine part look at America the chapter we are dealing with is chapter six [6] in it Mr. Cooper plays a Texan who boasts about his state by pretending not to. Name the movie.

3. in this 'oater' Mr. Cooper is an"undercover" Union officer out to foil a band of horse theives stealing from the Union army and supplying mounts to the Confederacy. a broad hint here, like Jimmy Stewert's Winchester '73 this flick too is named for a long arm. What is the title?

CYRILLE...  R.A.T. #242

Shane

Russ T Chambers

#2  It's a Big Country
   #3  Springfield Rifle
Russ T. Chambers
Roop County Cowboy Shooters Association
SASS Lifer/Regulator #262
WartHog
SBSS #1441
IPSAC
CRPA Lifer 
NSRPA Lifer
NRA Benefactor Member
Brother of the Arrow

Silver Creek Slim

#1 You're in the Navy Now

Slim
NCOWS 2329, WartHog, SCORRS, SBSS, BHR, GAF, RBCS, Dirty RATS, BTBM, IPSAC, Cosie-in-training
I love the smell of Black Powder in the morning!

Cyrille

keyrrect! Both Mr. Slim & Mr. Chambers the second or rather 1st title "You're in the Navy Now was released under was the U.S.S. Teakettle
CYRILLE...  R.A.T. #242

Shane

Cyrille

Ladies & Gentlemen this next film with Mr. Gary Cooper is neither a western , nor a war flick but it is well known by many of Mr. Cooper's fans so the hint(s) will be held to a mimimum. Ready?

1. This was Copper's first film for Coumbia pictures. This was Mr. Cooper's first Oscar Nomination. In this film Mr. Cooper's character is 'nicknamed'  "The Cinderella man" by the movie's female lead. Title of the movie & the name of Mr. Cooper's character please

2.This movie is a western, in it Mr. Cooper plays an historical figure albeit Hollyweird style. This film had two working titles when it was being filmed, but neither working title was the name of the film when released. Cooper's character, a famed frontiersman dies at the culmanation of the story. This was Cooper's 1st film under the direction of Cecil B. DeMille
who is known to have played' fast & loose in most of his historical dramas. Movie title & name the historical figure portrayed by Cooper please.

3.This film was Coopr's last under contract to Paramount, in it he portrays one of a trio of brothers, he dies in this film also but only after ending the life of the sadistic sargent that was placed in charge of his company. The movie is based on a very popular novel of the time by Percival Christopher Wren.
CYRILLE...  R.A.T. #242

Shane

Old Top

Cyrille,

I beleive that #3 is Bo Guest  ???

Old Top

I only shoot to support my reloading habit.

Cyrille

Yer rite the movie's title is "Beau Geste" Congradulations Mr. Top.
Care to take a guess at the other two?
CYRILLE...  R.A.T. #242

Shane

Scattered Thumbs

For question #2 "The Plainsman" Gary Cooper played Wild Bill Hicock.

For question #1 "Mr. Deeds go to town" Longfellow Deeds.

Cyrille

Yep! You gottem Thanks fer playin Mr. Thumbs
CYRILLE...  R.A.T. #242

Shane

Old Top

Cyrille,

I never said that I could spell. ;D ;D ;D

Old Top

Scattered Thumbs

Quote from: Cyrille on March 13, 2006, 10:13:47 AM
Yep! You gottem Thanks fer playin Mr. Thumbs

What can I say Mr. Cooper drove one of the most beautiful Duesembergs ever. ;D

Cyrille

To Mr. Old Top,
Yew donn havta no how ta spell Mr. Top, ment no direspec surr, n i thank yew fer playin. see surr Ah hav th movie so Ah jes copyed th title.
CYRILLE...  R.A.T. #242

Shane

Old Top

Cyrille,

No problem, and I never thought that there was any disrespect, I wish I had the movie so I could have copied the title better.  ;D ;D ;D

Old Top

Cyrille

Guess what Ah'm Baaack with summoor trivia on Mr. Gary Cooper!!!
Readdy? What> hee he Ah guessed it.

1.This movie is not a western or war movie.  Released in 1938, it deals with a famious Italian adventurer  and stars Mr. Cooper in the title role along with Alan Hale (his son was the 'skipper' of rhe "Minnow"  in  the Gillangan's Island Series). Lana Turner (Imatation of Life, Payton PLace, etc") Ward Bond ( a John Ford/ Wayne compadraie) & Jason Robards, a very well known character actor.
Produced by Samuel L. Goldwyn this was the only Cooper film directed by Mr. Goldwyn that failed to be a hit at the box office and with the critics.
2.This western stars Mr. Cooper in the title role  along with a stellar supporting cast that includes Forrest Tucker, Dana Andrews, Chill Wills and Walter Brennan & Lillian Bond. as Lily Langry. Directed by Wm. Wyler released in 1940.
3. This film of Mr. Cooper is (modern day Circa 1940, is in much rhe same vein as "Mr. Deeds goes to Town" and stars, along with Cooper Barbara Stanwick (The Big Valley T.V. series and countless movies including numious westerns).
CYRILLE...  R.A.T. #242

Shane

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com