Author Topic: Donor Pistol  (Read 1274 times)

Offline Niederlander

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 6
Donor Pistol
« on: May 27, 2024, 06:27:43 PM »
Finally got a Cimarron Frontier .35 by Pietta to convert to .44 Special.  It does have a few sharp edges that need stoning, otherwise a very nice pistol.  I can see why people like Pietta SAA's!
"There go those Nebraskans, and all hell couldn't stop them!"

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • SASS #: 27489
  • NCOWS #: 3958
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1280
Re: Donor Pistol
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2024, 08:12:05 PM »
I'm guessing you meant .38 instead of .35 ?  So you are going to re-chamber the cylinder and replace the barrel with a 44-40 barrel? 

Offline Niederlander

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2024, 06:36:46 AM »
Yes, sir.  Right on both counts.  Going to be a bit, since I've got some other stuff going on first.  Should be a fun project!

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 04:17:18 PM »

Offline 45 Dragoon

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 136
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2024, 08:44:42 AM »
The Uberti donor would yield a stronger revolver .  .  .  I mean since you're going through all the process and cost of caliber change .  .  .  just a thought  .  .  .

Mike
www.goonsgunworks.com
Follow me on Instagram @goonsgunworks

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 132
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2024, 08:01:58 AM »
 :) I can hardly believe IT!!  ;)

I'm actually going to agree wid da other Mike.  However, it's a mite academic.  The guns from Pietta are actually the closest dimensional match for a Colt SA.  Uberti offerings are a certain percentage larger in dimensions (I forget by how much) than the ubiquitous Colt.  I say academic because there will be sufficient cylinder wall left after rechambering to well contain the .44 Special without concern.  Once converted, pushing either to really high pressure would be . . . . um . . . . foolish.

Mike

PS:  However, Pietta GW II based Single Actions are a mite superior as far as user friendly goes, out of the Box.

Offline Black River Smith

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 48
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2024, 08:14:10 PM »
Niederlander,

Maybe you got the 38 or 357 at a really good price that you went for it first but ...  I am guessing that by the time you buy a Pietta barrel (at $165 or $182 or $264 / length dependent) have it and the cylinder cut and all fitted properly, ... you could have bought a Uberti Cimarron Model P 44/40 or a Stoeger Uberti 44/40 with its' 0.429 barrel and then bought a Uberti 44 Spec cylinder (it comes with a new cylinder bushing) for $132+ and had that fitted by a smith or do it yourself (maybe), all possibly for less than the Pietta project will end up being.

Also, you would have a pistol conversion of 44/40 and 44Spec.  Rather than a one caliber revolver.  You see I like both calibers.

This was only a thought or an option to your desire.

PS -- Pietta does not sell or offer a 44 Spec cylinder.

Good luck with your project.
Black River Smith

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2024, 09:53:05 PM »
...PS -- Pietta does not sell or offer a 44 Spec cylinder.

Yeah, that's why he got the .357 so the cylinder can be rechambered.  Who knows, everybody has their own reasons for doing whatever.  If 44 Spcl just couldn't be found otherwise, I could see it being more of an option.  I would just buy a Cimarron 44 Spcl Model P.  However, they chamber that in the Pre-War frame only, so it would be a 3-click gun with a medallion grip.  Both of which can be changed, of course.  But I'd be more likely to buy the Old Model P in 44-40 and add the 44 spcl cylinder.  But I already have enough 44 Spcls, 2 Colts, a conversion, a Thunderer and a '66.  Actually, I picked up a used 44-40 cylinder that fits perfectly in my Thunderer so it is dual caliber now also.

Back to the OP, if the barrel on your donor gun is in good shape, you could probably sell it to recoup some of your cost.

Offline 45 Dragoon

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 136
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2024, 10:09:13 AM »
:) I can hardly believe IT!!  ;)

I'm actually going to agree wid da other Mike.  However, it's a mite academic.  The guns from Pietta are actually the closest dimensional match for a Colt SA.  Uberti offerings are a certain percentage larger in dimensions (I forget by how much) than the ubiquitous Colt.  I say academic because there will be sufficient cylinder wall left after rechambering to well contain the .44 Special without concern.  Once converted, pushing either to really high pressure would be . . . . um . . . . foolish.

Mike

PS:  However, Pietta GW II based Single Actions are a mite superior as far as user friendly goes, out of the Box.

CM, you are right sir!! I always have my "45C" hat on !!! There shouldn't be any problems with the .38sp .

:)
www.goonsgunworks.com
Follow me on Instagram @goonsgunworks

Offline Niederlander

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2024, 01:36:14 PM »
For what it's worth, the plan is for it to wear a 7 1/2" 2nd Generation Colt barrel.  Always wanted a Colt in .44 Special, and this is as close as I'm likely to get.

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2024, 07:50:47 AM »
 :) YIKES!!  ;)

Way way too much barrel  ::)

PS:  If memory serves (Don't bet on it). Pietta make/offer 44-40s which means it may be easier/more frugal (Quote the Perfesser) to acquire a .44 barrel from Pietta.

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2024, 08:17:38 AM »
For what it's worth, the plan is for it to wear a 7 1/2" 2nd Generation Colt barrel.  Always wanted a Colt in .44 Special, and this is as close as I'm likely to get.

Okay, now, this is making me think that you already have (or have your eyes on) said barrel. 

Offline Niederlander

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2024, 08:55:31 AM »
I've had the barrel for years.  The original plan was to use it in an ASM revolver, but I think the Pietta is now a much better choice.

Offline Niederlander

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2024, 09:22:20 AM »
:) YIKES!!  ;)

Way way too much barrel  ::)

PS:  If memory serves (Don't bet on it). Pietta make/offer 44-40s which means it may be easier/more frugal (Quote the Perfesser) to acquire a .44 barrel from Pietta.
The 7 1/2" has always been my favorite barrel length, followed closely by the 4 3/4".  The 5 1/2" is just wrong, along with ALL Bisleys!

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 437
« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2024, 09:43:06 AM »
7 1/2" barrel is mine as well  :)
when planets align...do the deal !

Offline Black River Smith

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 48
« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2024, 02:50:32 PM »
I've had the barrel for years.  The original plan was to use it in an ASM revolver, but I think the Pietta is now a much better choice.

Well that explains a lot. I would be in the same boat, like you.  Something like that would be the closest, I could get be to having a piece of a 'Colt' name on a revolver.

Black River Smith

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: June 01, 2024, 03:38:54 PM »

:) Yepper  ;)

I have to agree wid the above guys.  If you already have the 7 1/2 Colt barrel, then yes, the Pietta is the better way to go.  I do have a "thing" for short (or shorter) barrels on my guns, but iffin you likes 7 1/2, GO FOR IT!!

Offline Niederlander

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: June 02, 2024, 01:13:35 PM »
My original Frontier Six Shooter is a 4 3/4", but if there was one thing I could change about it, it would be having a  7 1/2" barrel.  Still love it, though!

Offline Tascosa Joe

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 2770
  • NCOWS #: L-168
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 11
« Reply #17 on: June 04, 2024, 10:53:48 AM »
You might consider looking for a NRA Centennial in .357.  They are not real popular and you might find one relatively cheap.  Then you would have a 2d Gen Colt.
NRA Life, TSRA Life, NCOWS  Life

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 437
« Reply #18 on: June 04, 2024, 11:36:37 AM »
@ 4 grand and upwards NRA Centennial is well out my comfort zone....
when planets align...do the deal !

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: June 04, 2024, 11:47:09 AM »
@ 4 grand and upwards NRA Centennial is well out my comfort zone....
Is that for a NIB sample?  I agree with Tascosa Joe, those NRA centennials (used) generally are about the least expensive Colts.  I bought my NRA 45 Colt model in 2000 for $1025.  Obviously prices keep going up on everything and I haven't priced any lately.  I like it for a shooter because the only Centennial marking is on the barrel and is blued and not really noticeable like some commemoratives. 

Just looked at Gunbroker - some .357's for around $2K with no bids.  Still a lot more than a Pietta, but hey - real Colt.  :)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com