Author Topic: Very Important Day In History  (Read 325216 times)

Offline Silver Creek Slim

• Buckaroo
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 2329
  • GAF #: 144
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 120
Re: Very Important Day In History
« Reply #900 on: December 07, 2008, 02:41:30 PM »
Thanks, Arcey.

Slim
NCOWS 2329, WartHog, SCORRS, SBSS, BHR, GAF, RBCS, Dirty RATS, BTBM, IPSAC, Cosie-in-training
I love the smell of Black Powder in the morning!

Offline Texas Lawdog

• NCOWS Senator "Old School" Cop
  • Top Active Citizen
  • " We're all Here because We're not all There".
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #901 on: December 08, 2008, 07:46:14 AM »
Leo, There is still a few of them still there, that last time is was over there which was about 3 years ago. Now since the Missouri is over there now, former crew members also conduct tours of it. We had a survivor living in Fort Worth that passed away last year. He was in the AirCorps and was on the ground during the attack.
SASS#47185  RO I   ROII       NCOWS#2244  NCOWS Life #186  BOLD#393 GAF#318 SCORRS#1 SBSS#1485  WASA#666  RATS#111  BOSS#155  Storm#241 Henry 1860#92 W3G#1000  Warthog AZSA #28  American Plainsmen Society #69  Masonic Cowboy Shootist  Hiram's Rangers#18  FOP  Lt. Col  Grand Army of The Frontier, Life Member CAF
   Col.  CAF  NRA  TSRA   BOA  Dooley Gang  BOPP  ROWSS  Scarlet Mask Vigilance Society Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company  Cow Cracker Cavalry   Berger Sharpshooters "I had no Irons in the Fire". "Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie"?

Offline Leo Tanner

• RATS #401 STORM 330
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Life is Good
  • Liked:
« Reply #902 on: December 12, 2008, 03:01:24 PM »
December 12th, 1944 : The U.S. 8th and 15th Air Force plus the RAF pummeled Germany in the biggest fighting force that was ever put in the air. Britain had 1,000 bombers and 800 fighters who bombed railways and other targets in Germany

Leo
"When you have to shoot, shoot.  Don't talk."
     Tuco--The Good the Bad and the Ugly

"First comes smiles, then lies.  Last is gunfire."
     Roland Deschain

"Every man steps in the manure now an again, trick is not ta stick yer foot in yer mouth afterward"

religio SENIOR est exordium of scientia : tamen fossor contemno sapientia quod instruction.

Advertising

« Reply #903 on: Today at 12:53:36 PM »

Offline Texas Lawdog

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #903 on: December 12, 2008, 06:59:56 PM »
There was a large refinery at Merseberg that was heavily fortified. It was a primary target for the 398th Bomb Group of the 8th AF.
SASS#47185  RO I   ROII       NCOWS#2244  NCOWS Life #186  BOLD#393 GAF#318 SCORRS#1 SBSS#1485  WASA#666  RATS#111  BOSS#155  Storm#241 Henry 1860#92 W3G#1000  Warthog AZSA #28  American Plainsmen Society #69  Masonic Cowboy Shootist  Hiram's Rangers#18  FOP  Lt. Col  Grand Army of The Frontier, Life Member CAF
   Col.  CAF  NRA  TSRA   BOA  Dooley Gang  BOPP  ROWSS  Scarlet Mask Vigilance Society Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company  Cow Cracker Cavalry   Berger Sharpshooters "I had no Irons in the Fire". "Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie"?

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #904 on: December 12, 2008, 07:03:54 PM »
I know it was danged hard on the guys drivin' the trains, but I like to watch the gun camera footage of a P-47 or P-51 strafin' a train with them 50's.  Start at the back and run up to the engine and poof.
Mongrel Historian

Always get the water for the coffee upstream from the herd.

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

The time has passed so quick, the years all run together now.

Offline Leo Tanner

• RATS #401 STORM 330
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Life is Good
  • Liked:
« Reply #905 on: December 12, 2008, 07:11:30 PM »
It was one of them "mess with the best, die like the rest" moments.

Leo

Roland Deschain

"Every man steps in the manure now an again, trick is not ta stick yer foot in yer mouth afterward"

religio SENIOR est exordium of scientia : tamen fossor contemno sapientia quod instruction.

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #906 on: December 12, 2008, 07:22:29 PM »
It was one of them "mess with the best, die like the rest" moments.

Leo

Yeah, but most those guys were civilians.
Mongrel Historian

Always get the water for the coffee upstream from the herd.

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

The time has passed so quick, the years all run together now.

Offline Leo Tanner

• RATS #401 STORM 330
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Life is Good
  • Liked:
« Reply #907 on: December 12, 2008, 08:43:39 PM »
Yeah, but most those guys were civilians.

Good point.  I don't imagine they had the option of saying "I quit" an findin another job.  Didn't think of it like that at first.

Leo

Roland Deschain

Offline litl rooster

• Retired Cowboy... with saddle a 94 and the good book
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 310
« Reply #908 on: December 12, 2008, 11:23:21 PM »
Leo most of the Americans and allies were civilian till the war started.
Mathew 5.9

Offline Texas Lawdog

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #909 on: December 13, 2008, 01:44:41 AM »
The politicans always think we have plenty of military personell and when a conflict occurs. Then we have supplement the regular forces with reserves or a draft. Unfortunately the politicans have too much control when it comes to all phases of the military.

Offline Leo Tanner

• RATS #401 STORM 330
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Life is Good
  • Liked:
« Reply #910 on: December 13, 2008, 12:14:07 PM »
Leo most of the Americans and allies were civilian till the war started.

Sure, but I think Del was referrin ta the German engine drivers who went poof.  That was the first modern war where lots of civilians went poof on both sides.

Leo

Roland Deschain

Offline Texas Lawdog

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #911 on: December 13, 2008, 12:25:34 PM »
Leo, It ain't that them folks really wanted to work for the Nazis, they just didn't have much of a say so in the matter.

Offline Leo Tanner

• RATS #401 STORM 330
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Life is Good
  • Liked:
« Reply #912 on: December 13, 2008, 12:58:30 PM »
Good point.  I don't imagine they had the option of saying "I quit" an findin another job.  Didn't think of it like that at first.

Leo

Leo, It ain't that them folks really wanted to work for the Nazis, they just didn't have much of a say so in the matter.

Kinda what I was gettin at yesterday.
     On the other hand I'm sure the RAF didn't have much of a problem with it after experiencing the bombing of London and surrounding areas.  Cutting off supply lines is important no matter who is saddled with delivering them.   

Leo

Roland Deschain

Offline Texas Lawdog

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #913 on: December 13, 2008, 03:11:44 PM »
Trains and tracks make real good strafing targets of opportunity. Them trains can't outrun them 50 cal. and 20 mm shells.

Offline litl rooster

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #914 on: December 13, 2008, 04:05:42 PM »

there was more of them than there was nazis soldiers.  They continued making their arms and weapons of war instead of using it to  oust a terrible dictator...damn this scenario seems to keep repeatin it's self.  >rant over<
Mathew 5.9

Offline Leo Tanner

• RATS #401 STORM 330
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Life is Good
  • Liked:
« Reply #915 on: December 13, 2008, 04:25:34 PM »

there was more of them than there was nazis soldiers.  They continued making their arms and weapons of war instead of using it to  oust a terrible dictator...damn this scenario seems to keep repeatin it's self.  >rant over<

Yes it does.  Variations on a theme at the very least.
Hitler did sway a good many citizens to his way of thinking by using national pride.  They had just come out of a depression that left ours pale by comparison from most accounts and the ego bruise left by WWI was still fairly fresh.  A lot of folks were happy to follow him and a lot were just plain scared of him.  I'm looking forward to the Valkyrie movie that is coming out.  I read about the incident back in grade school and it will be interesting to see it made into a high budget movie so long as they stick with the facts.  It's good to know that not all Germans at the time were willing to just accept what was happening.  Some tried to do something about it.

Leo

Roland Deschain

Offline Texas Lawdog

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #916 on: December 13, 2008, 06:28:35 PM »
Unfortunately for them, all those attempts failed and he would up committing suicide. I think he was afraid of being capturing by the Russians.

Offline Leo Tanner

• RATS #401 STORM 330
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Life is Good
  • Liked:
« Reply #917 on: December 13, 2008, 08:14:09 PM »
If I remember right, what saved him during the bomb attempt was a well made table leg.  Blind luck at it's blindest.

The Russians woulda definately put him through the ringer, no question.  I think we would have kept him fer trial but a trip east woulda been a whole differnt scenario.  Then again ya never know.  As the sniper in Saving Private Ryan said, "Give me a clear shot at Adolph Hitler within a mile radius and that's it boys, pack yer bags, war's over".  I'm sure a lot of allied soldiers held the same sentiment.

Leo

Roland Deschain

Offline litl rooster

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #918 on: December 13, 2008, 08:26:40 PM »
Winston Churchill supposely ordered a Electric Chair in the event they could bring him to trial
Mathew 5.9

Offline Four-Eyed Buck

• Top Active Citizen
  • Tusco LongRiders,
  • Liked:
« Reply #919 on: December 13, 2008, 08:40:00 PM »
You're correct, Leo. The table was a VERY heavy oak one and the legs were massive. The breif case got bumped/kicked a little, and the leg shielded him just enough. You can see that once he was gone, they folded right quick. most of them feared the Russians more because of what they did to that country earlier in the war. they knew they would have no mercy...........Buck 8)
I might be slow, but I'm mostly accurate.....

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com