Author Topic: Very Important Day In History  (Read 325236 times)

Offline Texas Lawdog

• NCOWS Senator "Old School" Cop
  • Top Active Citizen
  • " We're all Here because We're not all There".
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Very Important Day In History
« Reply #860 on: December 03, 2008, 07:52:14 AM »
Johnson was relucant to be Kennedy's running mate because he wanted to be President. Johnson's mentor, Sam Rayburn(Speaker of the House), convinced him to be the VP. He basically told Johnson that half a loaf of bread is better than no loaf at all.
SASS#47185  RO I   ROII       NCOWS#2244  NCOWS Life #186  BOLD#393 GAF#318 SCORRS#1 SBSS#1485  WASA#666  RATS#111  BOSS#155  Storm#241 Henry 1860#92 W3G#1000  Warthog AZSA #28  American Plainsmen Society #69  Masonic Cowboy Shootist  Hiram's Rangers#18  FOP  Lt. Col  Grand Army of The Frontier, Life Member CAF
   Col.  CAF  NRA  TSRA   BOA  Dooley Gang  BOPP  ROWSS  Scarlet Mask Vigilance Society Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company  Cow Cracker Cavalry   Berger Sharpshooters "I had no Irons in the Fire". "Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie"?

Offline Ozark Tracker

• Top Active Citizen
  • my granddad on his mule around 1907
  • Liked:
« Reply #861 on: December 03, 2008, 08:03:00 AM »
I've read through the years that the Kennedys  felt superior to Johnson and thought of him like a country bumkin, but they thought they needed him for the southern votes.  I'm sure there was no love lost between them
We done it for Dixie,  nothing else

"I've traveled a long way and some of the roads weren't paved."

Offline Texas Lawdog

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #862 on: December 03, 2008, 08:11:12 AM »
Like Arcey said, They made their money "bootlegging" whiskey from Canada.  I don't think they gave LBJ enough credit, he was a better politican than they thought.
SASS#47185  RO I   ROII       NCOWS#2244  NCOWS Life #186  BOLD#393 GAF#318 SCORRS#1 SBSS#1485  WASA#666  RATS#111  BOSS#155  Storm#241 Henry 1860#92 W3G#1000  Warthog AZSA #28  American Plainsmen Society #69  Masonic Cowboy Shootist  Hiram's Rangers#18  FOP  Lt. Col  Grand Army of The Frontier, Life Member CAF
   Col.  CAF  NRA  TSRA   BOA  Dooley Gang  BOPP  ROWSS  Scarlet Mask Vigilance Society Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company  Cow Cracker Cavalry   Berger Sharpshooters "I had no Irons in the Fire". "Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie"?

Advertising

« Reply #863 on: Today at 01:46:11 PM »

Offline Ozark Tracker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #863 on: December 03, 2008, 08:21:37 AM »
I can remember back when Kennedy was running for President,  a lot of the churches having a fit because they didn's want a Catholic becoming president,  I remember going to church and the preacher saying you were riskin goin to Hell if you voted for Kennedy,  a lot of emotions ran high back then

Offline Texas Lawdog

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #864 on: December 03, 2008, 08:27:12 AM »
It sorta sounds like this years election.

Offline Arcey

• Underlord of Soot
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #865 on: December 03, 2008, 08:28:22 AM »
Just a side note, don’t wanna change the subject.

He was known as LBJ. Kennedy, JFK. So on……..

The next president apparently doesn’t care for his given, middle name of Hussein. We should respect that and drop it. Refer to the next president as BO.
Honorary Life Member of the Pungo Posse. Badge #1. An honor bestowed by the posse. Couldn’t be more proud or humbled.

All I did was name it ‘n get it started. The posse made it great. A debt I can never repay. Thank you, mi amigos.

Offline litl rooster

• Retired Cowboy... with saddle a 94 and the good book
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 310
« Reply #866 on: December 03, 2008, 09:09:49 AM »
 ;D^ ;D
Mathew 5.9

Offline Ozark Tracker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #867 on: December 03, 2008, 09:49:39 AM »
on another side, side note,  have you noticed how many commerative coins and plates and this that and the other things are comin out for BO,  I have to smile everytime I see them and think about all them that's gonna be added to the ones they have of Martin Luther King and John Kennedy,

only wish I was gettin a coupla cents off each one they was sellin. ;D

Offline Leo Tanner

• RATS #401 STORM 330
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Life is Good
  • Liked:
« Reply #868 on: December 03, 2008, 12:19:26 PM »
OT, it's a new diet program ta combat American obesity.  Ya scoop up the last bite a yer food an there's BO starin at ya from the plate. :o
     A quick trip ta the porcelan temple an it's like the whole meal never happened.  We'll all be nice an trim if we play along.

Leo
"When you have to shoot, shoot.  Don't talk."
     Tuco--The Good the Bad and the Ugly

"First comes smiles, then lies.  Last is gunfire."
     Roland Deschain

"Every man steps in the manure now an again, trick is not ta stick yer foot in yer mouth afterward"

religio SENIOR est exordium of scientia : tamen fossor contemno sapientia quod instruction.

Offline Texas Lawdog

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #869 on: December 03, 2008, 02:58:36 PM »
I'm glad you guys put everything in prospective.

Offline Silver Creek Slim

• Buckaroo
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 2329
  • GAF #: 144
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 120
« Reply #870 on: December 04, 2008, 10:36:18 PM »
Just a side note, don’t wanna change the subject.

He was known as LBJ. Kennedy, JFK. So on……..

The next president apparently doesn’t care for his given, middle name of Hussein. We should respect that and drop it. Refer to the next president as BO.

;D ;D ;D ;D

Slim
NCOWS 2329, WartHog, SCORRS, SBSS, BHR, GAF, RBCS, Dirty RATS, BTBM, IPSAC, Cosie-in-training
I love the smell of Black Powder in the morning!

Offline Texas Lawdog

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #871 on: December 05, 2008, 08:16:51 AM »
The Lexington leaves Pearl Harbor headed for Midway.

Offline Arcey

• Underlord of Soot
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #872 on: December 05, 2008, 08:24:28 AM »
At 2:10 p.m., five U.S. Navy Avenger torpedo-bombers comprising Flight 19 take off from the Ft. Lauderdale Naval Air Station in Florida on a routine three-hour training mission. Flight 19 was scheduled to take them due east for 120 miles, north for 73 miles, and then back over a final 120-mile leg that would return them to the naval base. They never returned.
Honorary Life Member of the Pungo Posse. Badge #1. An honor bestowed by the posse. Couldn’t be more proud or humbled.

All I did was name it ‘n get it started. The posse made it great. A debt I can never repay. Thank you, mi amigos.

Offline Texas Lawdog

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #873 on: December 05, 2008, 08:38:13 AM »
That was on 12-5- 1945.

Offline Arcey

• Underlord of Soot
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #874 on: December 05, 2008, 08:50:27 AM »
Thinkin’ taday is kindah 12-05….

Got the hell rid of prohibition (lower case intended) too….

Offline Texas Lawdog

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #875 on: December 05, 2008, 08:53:42 AM »
Yeah, That nasty Ol' 18th amendment. Beer for everybody.

Offline Leo Tanner

• RATS #401 STORM 330
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Life is Good
  • Liked:
« Reply #876 on: December 05, 2008, 12:32:45 PM »
Yeah, That nasty Ol' 18th amendment. Beer for everybody.

I'll drink ta that.
     I'll have one fer each of the men on flight 19.  They're still tryin ta figgure that one out.  Think it was a magnetic field screwed up the gauges an sent em off course.

Leo

Roland Deschain

"Every man steps in the manure now an again, trick is not ta stick yer foot in yer mouth afterward"

religio SENIOR est exordium of scientia : tamen fossor contemno sapientia quod instruction.

Offline Arcey

• Underlord of Soot
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #877 on: December 05, 2008, 01:24:13 PM »
Read much on that years ago. Think the best one had the planes goin’ down in the Okefenokee Swamp. Looked to be well researched ‘n logical. Don’t recall the piece’s theory of how they wound up disoriented. Do recall the authors did much analysis of radar contacts, radio transmissions, time ‘n fuel range.

It was well done ‘n reasonable. I wonder where the book is.

Offline Leo Tanner

• RATS #401 STORM 330
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Life is Good
  • Liked:
« Reply #878 on: December 05, 2008, 02:05:11 PM »
Book's prolly better than the countless TV documenteries that have been on over the years.  I don't think I ever heard one mention the Okefenokee.  Most of them have them piling it in ta the Atlantic and some even the Gulf.  The TV guys always tried ta make it sound creepy instead of presenting the hard facts.  Part of the whole Bermuda Triange thing.

Leo

Roland Deschain

Offline Texas Lawdog

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #879 on: December 05, 2008, 03:28:55 PM »
"Dragnet" premiered in 1951.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com