shot gun loads

Started by Bunk Stagnerg, December 26, 2015, 05:59:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bunk Stagnerg

While digging through my powder bunker I found a can of DuPont Fg powder. My question is would work all right for loading 12 gauge shot shells? The powder is clean; the can is not rusty, the powder is a little lumpy but has been stored in a cool dry place. I am sure the powder would ignite, but would it give me sufficient velocity to knock down steel targets set at middle of suggested Cowboy Action range?

My present load is 4.0 c/c FFg, an 1/8" over powder wad, a ½" felt wad with the 4.0 c/c of shot (usually #9) and an over shot wad with a tight roll crimp. My cases are trimmed to 2 3/8" OAL which makes a good solid roll crimp. The cases are Riefenhauser process plastic cases of various brands which are range pick up and I usually reload them twice then discard the empties. I have read the base wad can pull out after several reloads plugging the bore resulting in an expensive KaBoom

The tools used are from BPI which consists of a case trimmer, shell vise and roll crimping tool run in  my drill press. Assembly is done in a modified MEC press. This load knocks targets down with authority, but I don't want to spend a lot of time loading shells that would be bloopers. I get enough friendly ribbing from the heathen powder shooters as it is.

Respectfully submitted
Bunk

Noz

I used Skirmish Fg for a year or so, My only complaint was they were very dirty loads.  Went bang, lots of smoke and a whole lot of fire. Targets all fell down when I hit them.
Took them to a night shoot. Got lots of oooos and ahhhhhhs. So much fire that one shot destroyed my night vision.

Bunk Stagnerg

Thanks Noz
There is a dish full of primed cases on the bench and I will knock out some tomorrow.
Bunk

wildman1

Works great. I use 1f-3f, whatever I can get. wM1
WARTHOG, Dirty Rat #600, BOLD #1056, CGCS,GCSAA, NMLRA, NRA, AF&AM, CBBRC.  If all that cowboy has ever seen is a stockdam, he ain't gonna believe ya when ya tell him about whales.

Dick Dastardly

Fg Goex is real good in my Win 87 10ga.  Good booms, smoke and flames.  Most satisfying.  Cleanup no different than FFg.  Of course it's coarse of course. . .  :D

DD-MDA
Avid Ballistician in Holy Black
Riverboat Gambler and Wild Side Rambler
Gunfighter Ordinar
Purveyor of Big Lube supplies

Bunk Stagnerg

yes quite course but will it stay the course?
Bunk

Coffinmaker

chic a BOOM, Chic a BOOM, Chic a BOOM BOOM BOOM.

Coffinmaker

Sir Charles deMouton-Black

I am "gruntled" and "mayed", the way this thread has morphed.

Note; Like Wildman1 says ;) ;)
NCOWS #1154, SCORRS, STORM, BROW, 1860 Henry, Dirty Rat 502, CHINOOK COUNTRY
THE SUBLYME & HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT (SHOTS)
Those who are no longer ignorant of History may relive it,
without the Blood, Sweat, and Tears.
With apologies to George Santayana & W. S. Churchill

"As Mark Twain once put it, "History doesn't repeat itself, but it does rhyme."

Bunk Stagnerg

Sir Charles
You are correct, but i did get the answers I needed before the thread rolled off down hll in a baby buggy.
Respectfully
Bunk of the Darby Rough Stagnergs

wildman1

I think he meant not "disgruntled or dismayed". wM1  ::) :P
WARTHOG, Dirty Rat #600, BOLD #1056, CGCS,GCSAA, NMLRA, NRA, AF&AM, CBBRC.  If all that cowboy has ever seen is a stockdam, he ain't gonna believe ya when ya tell him about whales.

rickk

1F is all I use in 12 G... works great... makes for a more spectacular show than 2F as well.

It also produces less pressure than 2F ... something to be considered a plus when shooting older guns. 

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com