Author Topic: Uberti 1851 R-M  (Read 3385 times)

Offline Sandsnipe

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Uberti 1851 R-M
« on: February 20, 2013, 07:30:40 PM »
 I am thinking about buying a 1851 Richards-Mason Navy conversion gun chambered in .38 Colt and S&W Special. I'm new to single action shooting but have always liked the way the Navy's looked. I know this is pretty much a rookie question but can this gun shoot regular .38 special factory loads? I understand that P loads are out of the question and am not really interested in them anyways but is it alright to shoot normal jacketed rounds? Thanks for any help.

Offline Mean Bob Mean

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
Re: Uberti 1851 R-M
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2013, 09:04:17 PM »
I am thinking about buying a 1851 Richards-Mason Navy conversion gun chambered in .38 Colt and S&W Special. I'm new to single action shooting but have always liked the way the Navy's looked. I know this is pretty much a rookie question but can this gun shoot regular .38 special factory loads? I understand that P loads are out of the question and am not really interested in them anyways but is it alright to shoot normal jacketed rounds? Thanks for any help.

"Base" .38 special loads are fine in that gun, but choose lead projectiles as jacketed bullets are too much for the softer steels often employed in the barrels.  You can use a full load of black powder, or an equivalent load and be fine, or look at the pressure ratings of loads--stay in the lower ranges and you should be fine.  There are hundreds of great loads for the .38, you wont lack options.  If you are worried about self defense loads for it, don't.  Loading a heavy for caliber soft lead projectile gives you a very effective SD loading to leave in the gun if that is your concern.  I'd shoot .38 Long Colts if it were me, get into the originality of the piece and leave the concerns about heavy loads behind.  If you are worried about velocity for plinking, load some light bullets.  
"We tried a desperate game and lost. But we are rough men used to rough ways, and we will abide by the consequences."
- Cole Younger

Online Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • SASS #: 27489
  • NCOWS #: 3958
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1276
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2013, 09:18:33 PM »
Sandsnipe, yes you can shoot any SAAMI-spec factory .38 ammo in the Richards-Mason.  These are made to shoot cartridges and are made of strong steel, stronger than the black powder percussion guns.  Most people do shoot lead bullets in them but jacketed will not hurt the gun.  Personally, the '51 R-M is my favorite conversion (love that octagonal barrel!).  I've got 4 of them.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 10:43:00 PM »

Offline Graveyard Jack

• Top Active Citizen
  • aka CraigC
    • Graveyard Jack's Custom Sixgun Leather
  • SASS #: 81,827
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 89
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2013, 03:49:01 PM »
I shoot cast almost exclusively but don't believe jacketed bullets are gonna hurt a factory cartridge conversion.
SASS #81,827

Offline Sandsnipe

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2013, 06:42:34 PM »
 Thanks for all the input. I bought the gun and got a box of jacketed and lead.  Hopefully I'll be able to get some rounds through it this weekend.

Online Sir Charles deMouton-Black

• THE ANCIENT SUBSTANCE ENDURES - ALL LESSER PROPELLANTS SHALL FIZZLE
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 411
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2013, 08:50:05 PM »
I have a pair of them as my main match pistols.  Just to be clear, the groove diameter is .357 - just like all 38 Specials.  It makes no sense to buy .38 Long Colt cases as ordinary special cases are so cheap and fit perfectly.
NCOWS #1154, SCORRS, STORM, BROW, 1860 Henry, Dirty Rat 502, CHINOOK COUNTRY
THE SUBLYME & HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT (SHOTS)
Those who are no longer ignorant of History may relive it,
without the Blood, Sweat, and Tears.
With apologies to George Santayana & W. S. Churchill

"As Mark Twain once put it, “History doesn’t repeat itself, but it does rhyme.”

Offline Mean Bob Mean

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2013, 12:47:20 AM »
Sandsnipe, yes you can shoot any SAAMI-spec factory .38 ammo in the Richards-Mason.  These are made to shoot cartridges and are made of strong steel, stronger than the black powder percussion guns.  Most people do shoot lead bullets in them but jacketed will not hurt the gun.  Personally, the '51 R-M is my favorite conversion (love that octagonal barrel!).  I've got 4 of them.

Abilene:

So many folks here have warne dme off jacketed loads saying the guns were made using a softer steel, so that is a load of hooey?  That's great news, thanks!
"We tried a desperate game and lost. But we are rough men used to rough ways, and we will abide by the consequences."
- Cole Younger

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com