Author Topic: Open top Barrel/Arbor fit  (Read 3616 times)

Offline RWK

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Open top Barrel/Arbor fit
« on: January 16, 2013, 07:20:38 AM »
Open top Barrel/Arbor fit

When you turn the barrel to one side it sticks. When its straight on its fine.

Cant fine how to fix this, looked for over an hour in Pettifogger's articles pinned on The Open Range

I don’t want to modify or fix the wrong part

No way to turn the barrel in to alignment with the frame. to check the alignment

Thanks for any help

Offline Harley Starr

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Re: Open top Barrel/Arbor fit
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2013, 08:24:27 AM »
Hoof Hearted can help you in this area.

Until then, have a look at this.

http://www.cascity.com/forumhall/index.php/topic,26447.0/wap2.html
A work in progress.

Offline rifle

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2013, 09:14:18 AM »
A new guns barrel will turn fine. A used gun gets a raised spot in the barrel arbor hole at the barrel wedge slots rear where the wedge pushes the barrel backwards and the same spot where the wedge gets jammed into the rear of the barrel slots when the gun fires.
Just look or feel with something and find if the metal at the rear of the barrels wedge slot inside the barrels arbor hole is peened inside there and file it off and....the barrel will turn on the arbor again like when it was new.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 11:12:15 PM »

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 132
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2013, 03:50:17 PM »

Usually, the problem is at the very front of the arbor.  If you look at it close, there are file marks (little flats) from a half hearted attempt to fit it at the factory.

Clamp the frame in a padded vice or with a padded clamp to the edge of a work table.  Wrap a slice of 220 wet or dry sand paper around half the arbor and play "shoe shine."  Flip it over and do the other side.  Test fit often.

Coffinmaker

Offline FriscoCounty

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 83712
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 19
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2013, 08:22:00 PM »
Check the loading gate.  See if there is play in it.  The loading gate screw will sometimes come loose and the play in the gate will block the cylinder from turning at some angles.
NRA Life Benefactor, CRPA Life, SASS Life 83712, RO I, Hiram Ranger 48, Coyote Valley Sharpshooters, Coyote Valley Cowboys, SASS TG

Offline rifle

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2013, 08:51:24 AM »
I'm not quite sure what is bein explained above about the end of the arbor being ill fit somehow. I'll have to watch fer that.
What I was referring to up there is what a used gun gets when the barrel get some metal bulged inward t the rear of the barrel wedge slots. The barrel turned sideways 45 degrees and pushed rearward will show what I'm referring to. The barrel will bind on the arbor and not go on all the way and will turn hard when trying to check fer the arbor bottoming or not even with the frame. It will bind way before the arbor gets close to the bottom of the barrels hole. When a gun is broke in enough and fired a good bit the raised areas behind the barrels wedge slots shows up by eye ballin. When the gun is relatively new the raised area doesn't show to the eye.
Ifin a person doesn't want to use a file to get rid of the bumps in the barrels hole they can put some lapping compound on the arbor and work it in turning it back and forth.
Now....don't ask me why the bumps bind on the barrel when it's sideways and not when the barrel is put on the gun the right way. Never bothered to thunk that one all the way out since it ain't needed anywhoooo to solve the problem. Must have something to do with how the gun breaks in since new guns that are unfired don't bind when the barrels turned sideways.
I use a file to get rid of the metal from the barrel gettin bulged in a little at the rear of the barrel wedge slot but.....I have used diamond lapping compound to free things up too. I just then have to flush the stuff out with solvent of gas ect.ect.ect.
Aywhoooo...I guess that is what RWK is doin....checking the arbors position. The guestion up there says "no way to turn the barrel into alignment to check the alignment". I just take that to mean "turn the barrel into alignment to check the arbor bottoming or not".

Offline RWK

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2013, 05:20:45 PM »
I have 2 nickel open tops

They both have been fired less than 50 rounds each with light loads

Both fit exactly the same and when you turn the barrel 90 degrees they stick. When you turn them straight up thet slide right in

I see nothing on either arbor, no burs swedges nothing

They shoot straight and true. They are sweet  

I was just trying to check barrel to frame fit and I can not.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com