Author Topic: R&D Colt Converters  (Read 7198 times)

Offline Slowhand Bob

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
R&D Colt Converters
« on: January 07, 2013, 07:38:25 PM »
Any experience here with the R& D Converter cylinders for the Uberti '60 Colt?  Looking at the Taylors web site, these would appear to be a solid back plate and mimics the cap and ball cylinder appearance, even roll engraving is an option?  I recently purchased a used pair of  Ubertis that have been slicked and disassemble fairly easily.  There is little doubt that loading could be quickly accomplished without need for going to the Kirst gated style modifications and cutting these guns up.  I do think that Kirst leaves money on the table by not offering the optional plate styles for the various models!

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 132
Re: R&D Colt Converters
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2013, 09:05:48 PM »
Hi Bob,

I actually am not a fan of the R&D converter.  The firing pins are too soft, peen over and have to be fixed once in a while.  I don't think your gonna roll the cylinder either.  Too hard.
They do work though.  They just don't look right in a Colt reproduction.

Coffinmaker

Offline River City John

• NCOWS Senator
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Mr. & Mrs. John Covert
  • NCOWS #: L-146
  • GAF #: 275
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 484
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2013, 09:58:32 PM »
More commonly seen conversion cylinder on the Remingtons.

RCJ
"I was born by the river in a little tent, and just like the river I've been running ever since." - Sam Cooke
"He who will not look backward with reverence, will not look forward with hope." - Edmund Burke
". . .freedom is not everything or the only thing, perhaps we will put that discovery behind us and comprehend, before it's too late, that without freedom all else is nothing."- G. Warren Nutter
NCOWS #L146
GAF #275

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 11:08:22 PM »

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 436
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2013, 05:31:24 AM »
Here is a made for Uberti R&D in my 2nd gen. Colt, fitment was minor.
It came roll engraved, and I've a goodly number of rounds through it.
I had heard early FP's were a tad soft, but did not witness it on mine, had been shooting it since 2005 , still I replaced mine with Smith Shop FP's about two years ago.

when planets align...do the deal !

Offline Slowhand Bob

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2013, 09:27:47 AM »
Thanks Major,  I really like the looks of those and if the firing pins are the only possible problem it would be an easy solution to get the aftermarket version to have on hand, JIC.  My round of choice for these would be the reduced Cowboy 45 Special round.  I have decided to use my small remaining supply for use only in the conversions I have.  It would currently seem that they will no longer be available in the future.  The photos are of the two '60 Army pistols, they appear to be  well broken in and are very slick.  Though one is, and looks, older they feel very similar and have Navy sized grips, cap guards and bronze (whoever) nipples in place.  These were received shortly before Christmas and I have not even shot them yet, perhaps this weekend??

Offline Major 2

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2013, 10:01:16 AM »
I posted this before, however I though you'd like to see Dexter.

London Model 61 Navy with a Kirst Gated converter

Offline dusty texian

• Chief Scout Wehmeyer Ranch's.
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Dusty Texian
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 107
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2013, 12:04:31 PM »
That is a fine belly gun Major 2.                  Dusty.

Offline Bonnie_blue1861

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2013, 12:33:37 PM »
Major 2  ...It's interesting that your cylinder has the roll engraving on it. When you say it was made for an Uberti, do you mean it was custom made of of an original cylinder and utilizes an R&D back plate? I've just never seen one with roll engraving before. (By the way, it looks good.)

Here is a made for Uberti R&D in my 2nd gen. Colt, fitment was minor.
It came roll engraved, and I've a goodly number of rounds through it.
I had heard early FP's were a tad soft, but did not witness it on mine, had been shooting it since 2005 , still I replaced mine with Smith Shop FP's about two years ago.

Offline Major 2

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2013, 01:27:25 PM »
Major 2  ...It's interesting that your cylinder has the roll engraving on it. When you say it was made for an Uberti, do you mean it was custom made of of an original cylinder and utilizes an R&D back plate? I've just never seen one with roll engraving before. (By the way, it looks good.)

No Sir,  it is an Circa 2004 R&D , he used to roll engrave...this is 5 shot just as his current models are.

OEM Uberti would be a 6 holer.... interesting you are the 2nd or 3rd person that has mention having never seen one with roll engraving before.
That is why those photo were taken, to show Kenny once did roll engrave.

I suspect the tool was finally worn out ( as Coffinmaker mentioned the Cylinders are quite hard )

While I'm about it I'll mention I purchased that Colt 2nd Gen. NIB in 1977-8 .
I used as C&B Reenacting Horse Cavalry near 30 years, then installed the LNIB R&D in 04
with the Buffalo Bros Grips...I was my main match but I use 44Colt Type ll now.
Only issue in all those years was a broken bolt spring... and that was within the first year I had it.

Offline Slowhand Bob

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2013, 07:00:59 PM »
Taylors still lists roll engraving on the Army cylinder as an option.  I did not see the price for this but if not to great, I would opt for this option. 

http://www.taylorsfirearms.com/cartridge-conversions/1860-army-conversion-cylinders.html

Offline Slowhand Bob

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2013, 10:03:49 PM »
A further search of the Taylors site indicates that roll engraving is only available on the Colt.style 36 cylinders.

Offline Bonnie_blue1861

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2013, 10:28:55 PM »
I had seen that roll engraving also a while back through Taylor's, but was disappointed to see they don't offer it on a .45 conversion cylinder.
Too bad they (R&D) don't start making them that way again...they sure are pretty.

Offline Slowhand Bob

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2013, 09:57:37 AM »
Since the 44 cylinder is larger towards the front, I would assume that it would require an entirely different plate for the roll to turn out right?

Offline Bonnie_blue1861

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2013, 11:09:01 PM »
I suppose it would require a different plate to accommodate for circumference.... since .44 cylinders are often "rebated" as they say... and the .36 cylinders typically are not.

Offline rifle

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2013, 09:59:26 AM »
Someone mentioned the firing pins are too soft in the R&D's. I'd say....when fitting the conversion to the gun the hammer needs tuned to stop short of mashing the firing pins or wacking the firing pin bushings.
You know....kinda like makin a percussion a dry fire safe action by making the hammer stop just short of mashing the nipples.
Naturally making the hammer stop in the right place then....the firing pin length may need adjusted to make it the right length also.
That should fix it right and not need after market firing pins since that is curing the symptom and not the cause.
It wouldn't hurt a thing to tune the fit of the conversion right and also have the after market firing pins.
It would be cool to tune the hammer to the conversion and also have it make the conversion back to percussion have the dry fire safe aspect. That would seem the right-est to me.
Naturally after the hammer face is messed with and shortened some it would need re-hardened. That means to soften it before working it would be something to do.

Offline Major 2

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2013, 10:32:32 AM »
That seems quite logical ...great tip

Offline Slowhand Bob

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2013, 09:09:19 AM »
I took the Uberti Angels out for their first test run yesterday and really like them.  Being well broken in, they do break down into the three sub-assemblies quickly and easily without tools.  I was actually using an external ram to load their cylinders BUT more importantly, this tells me that conversion cylinders, without cuts, would be a quick and easily do-able loading table function.  Since I do already have a pair of Colt style Conversions being prepared, I am thinking these will probably just remain cap and ball guns.  My shooting buddy was actually using a newer  Pietta '60 model that required a hammer tap before breaking it down but he even preferred doing so and using the external press.  I watched him load a couple of cylinders and, though not as quick and easy as my guns, he undoubtedly loaded cylinders faster out of the gun.

Offline Capt Billy

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2013, 11:59:17 PM »
I own a 60 Army fitted with the R&D 5 shot .45 cylinder.
I has down me well, no problems, no engraving either.
"I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it."

R.G.A. # 241

Offline theshoer

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2013, 06:32:34 PM »
I own a 60 Army fitted with the R&D 5 shot .45 cylinder.
I has down me well, no problems, no engraving either.

So do I, mine are Pietta. I just replaced all the firing pins with the hard one from the smith shop
I may not be the most important person in your life, but when you hear my name, I hope you smile and say That's My Friend

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 132
« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2013, 02:45:15 PM »

Rifle's suggestions are pretty good.  But, that is an awful lot of work compared to simply replacing the firing pins.  The hammer doesn't contact the firing pin bushing unless the gun is dry fired.  Bad joss, that.  Regardless what is dine to the hammer, the firing pin stops on the primer.  The stock pins are too soft and over time peen over. 
So, with the R&D cylinder, eventually you will have to either clean up the top of the firing pin(s) or replace them.

Coffinmaker

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com