Author Topic: Winchester May Reintroduce The 1873  (Read 149938 times)

Offline Trailrider

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Gunfighter Zone
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Winchester May Reintroduce The 1873
« Reply #160 on: October 22, 2013, 10:19:49 AM »
Will put in an order for one in 44wcf soon as they are ready.,,,,,,Dusty

+1  Can't understand why they went for .38 Extra Extra Long Colt's (aka .357 Mangle-em), when they could have gone with .45 LC, or much better yet, .44 WCF!
Ride to the sound of the guns, but watch out for bushwhackers! Godspeed to all in harm's way in the defense of Freedom! God Bless America!

Your obedient servant,
Trailrider,
Bvt. Lt. Col. Commanding,
Southern District
Dept. of the Platte, GAF

Offline PJ Hardtack

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #161 on: October 22, 2013, 11:31:53 AM »
'Cause Winchester ain't in touch with the market? Or maybe they are and they know that .357 is where the money is?
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on.
I don't do these things to others and I require the same from them."  John Wayne

Offline Blackfoot

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #162 on: October 22, 2013, 02:38:44 PM »
Seems like the first production run was a quick sell out.  They might have had a good handle on what the market was.  Only thing is it seems like they could have sold a lot more.

Blackfoot

Advertising

« Reply #163 on: Today at 12:33:22 AM »

Offline Fox Creek Kid

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 108
« Reply #163 on: October 22, 2013, 02:43:40 PM »
It is a SIGN of the times.... really sad when a company as old as Winchester... goes to another company (OUT OF COUNTRY) to make "THEIR" rifle.  The Japanese company makes good "copies"... BUT having said that... I do not consider the "new "Reintroduced" 1873 a real Winchester... it is just another copy.  Hate to say it... but the Uberti 1873 looks a hell of a lot better. my opinion, for what it is worth.

???  Have you read ALL of this thread? The original Winchester, as found by Oliver F., went teats up in the 1930's during the Great Depression!! Olin bought the co. then. None, I repeat NONE, of the current companies using old names, Remington, Colt, S&W, Marlin, etc., are the same co. as in the 1800's. Remington went bankrupt in the 1880's and was bought by UMC. They have all been bought & sold countless times. Despite nostalgic beliefs the old companies are all gone forever.

Offline Blackpowder Burn

• Top Active Citizen
  • Smoke & Lightning
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #164 on: October 22, 2013, 04:41:14 PM »
Foxcreek,

So what's your point, other than to complain?  What you describe is a common thing in any business over that time period.

C Sharps went belly up in the 1880's, and was resurrected 100 years later with a privately owned company buying the rights to the name and logo.  They build some of the finest single shot rifles available today in Montana.  Are you saying that because they are not the "original" Sharps company that we shouldn't buy their products?

If a company is making a legitimate effort (and succeeding) in producing the product line of a direct linear predecessor (be it Colt, Winchester, Marlin, Remington, etc.), and keeping an icon alive, then good for them.  I'll support them to the best of my financial ability.
SUBLYME AND HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT
Learned Brother at Armes

Offline PJ Hardtack

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #165 on: October 22, 2013, 05:34:42 PM »
I believe that Volvo is now Japanese owned. I'd still buy one.
I don't do these things to others and I require the same from them."  John Wayne

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 435
« Reply #166 on: October 22, 2013, 05:57:40 PM »
Gents
 This thread is about the "WINCHESTER" made in Japan by Miroku ...

lets take a breath and chill out a bit  :)
when planets align...do the deal !

Offline Cliff Fendley

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 371
« Reply #167 on: October 22, 2013, 06:28:59 PM »
I read in the article they modified the design to alter where it throws the brass. So where does Miroku throw the brass? On top of your hat like a Uberti?

The original 73's I've had the pleasure of playing with throw it in my face or sometimes over my shoulder, I think the Uberti's do a fine job of keeping it much like the original but throw the brass high enough it will usually clear a hat brim. Nice compromise yet keeping things very close to the 19th century experience.
http://www.fendleyknives.com/

NCOWS 3345  RATS 576 NRA Life member

Johnson County Rangers

Offline Blackfoot

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #168 on: October 23, 2013, 04:37:59 AM »
Kinda' throws the brass up and to the right.  Not real good for a lefty.

Blackfoot

Offline Fox Creek Kid

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 108
« Reply #169 on: October 24, 2013, 02:56:02 AM »
Foxcreek,

So what's your point, other than to complain?...

Complain?  ::)  The thread is about the Japanese '73 and not the original.

Offline jandras

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #170 on: October 25, 2013, 10:59:58 AM »
...and case colors (which were special order options, ........ will be available later BTW.)

Grizzly, I ordered a color case hardened model in January, but am still waiting.  Have you heard of ANY case hardened models being delivered yet?  Joe

Offline PJ Hardtack

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #171 on: October 25, 2013, 12:38:36 PM »
I'm about to acquire a 'race ready' Uberti '73 saddle ring carbine with case hardened frame. It is the early pattern with the front sight integral with the barrel band.
According to the Madis book, the standard finish on SR carbines was blue. Anything else would have been special order, as it is today, an option you pay for.

Am I correct in thinking that 'French Grey" or "coin finish" is just cc with the colours worn or deliberately faded?

Offline Blair

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #172 on: October 25, 2013, 01:24:37 PM »
PJ,

It is a case hardened finish, just not done in Colors.
Some warn Colors Case hardening may appear in a gray tone finish.
I hope this helps.
My best.
Blair
A Time for Prayer.
"In times of war and not before,
God and the soldier we adore.
But in times of peace and all things right,
God is forgotten and the soldier slighted"
by Rudyard Kipling.
Blair Taylor
Life-C 21

Offline PJ Hardtack

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #173 on: October 25, 2013, 02:02:01 PM »
Yes, it does explain why the carbine I mentioned has blue/grey tones to it rather than the brilliant colours on a Turnbull rifle.

I've read that it all depends on the mix of materials used in the process, a closely guarded proprietary secret amongst those who do the work.

Offline Mike

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #174 on: October 25, 2013, 02:03:53 PM »
I will have one (if they ever get them down here in NZ) but in 44WCF and I not happy with a short stroke.

That is my only BEEF with the new gun.

As in this thread, companies got west and are started up again, some with a better product, many with not.

Buffalochip

Offline Mean Bob Mean

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #175 on: October 25, 2013, 02:29:41 PM »
Rifleman Review of the new 1873 in November edition:

http://www.americanrifleman.org/articles/winchester-new-model-1873

Out of the box, the sample rifle has one of the smoothest actions I have ever encountered on a lever gun. No need for you to make a special trip to the local gunsmith to fine tune this rifle, as it was smooth as silk. At the range, I found it just about perfect for the novice or seasoned cowboy action shooter who wants to shoot a gun bearing the Winchester name without fretting over damaging or devaluing a century-old antique.
"We tried a desperate game and lost. But we are rough men used to rough ways, and we will abide by the consequences."
- Cole Younger

Offline Tornado

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 46
« Reply #176 on: October 25, 2013, 08:57:04 PM »
I just read that article and when it said the 1866 was in production until the 1890's that really surprised me.  I assumed that Winchester stop production of the 1866 shortly after the introduction of the 73.  Pardon my ignorance, but why did they continue making it?  I also thought the same with the 73 being replaced by the 92.

Offline MJN77

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #177 on: October 26, 2013, 05:34:47 AM »
I just read that article and when it said the 1866 was in production until the 1890's that really surprised me.  I assumed that Winchester stop production of the 1866 shortly after the introduction of the 73.  Pardon my ignorance, but why did they continue making it?  I also thought the same with the 73 being replaced by the 92.

Because the 1866 still worked. And people still liked and bought them. Not everyone thought they needed more power than a 16 shot .44 rim fire. It could still put meat on the table and it could defend you against most things. People back then generally didn't have the "magnum" mindset like a lot of hunters today. Oklahoma outlaw Bill Doolin was supposedly carrying an 1866 rifle when he was killed by a posse in 1896. The 1873 was made until 1919 or so.

Offline Cliff Fendley

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 371
« Reply #178 on: October 26, 2013, 07:13:47 AM »
Regarding the American Rifleman review, I take all of those with a grain of salt. I never read a negative review yet sometimes there are big disappointments when a product reaches the public.
http://www.fendleyknives.com/

NCOWS 3345  RATS 576 NRA Life member

Johnson County Rangers

Offline Grizzly Adams

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #179 on: October 26, 2013, 03:04:33 PM »
I just read that article and when it said the 1866 was in production until the 1890's that really surprised me.  I assumed that Winchester stop production of the 1866 shortly after the introduction of the 73.  Pardon my ignorance, but why did they continue making it?  I also thought the same with the 73 being replaced by the 92.

Because, in a great many folk's mind, the 1873 was THE Winchester.  The 1866 and 1873 were very popular and loved models, and folks continued to buy them up until the day Winchester dropped them from production.  In fact, a few made up of parts left over were assembled and sold to special customers after that point.  The 1892 did not replace the 1873.  Production of the 1892 and the 1873 ran concurrently up until 1927.
If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you can read this in English, thank a Veteran!
COMNAVFORV, NRA life, SASS Life, TG, STORM Rider #36.
GAF

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com