Author Topic: Winchester May Reintroduce The 1873  (Read 150001 times)

Offline Fox Creek Kid

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 108
Re: Winchester May Reintroduce The 1873
« Reply #140 on: October 15, 2013, 03:16:22 PM »
Heads up:  I spoke with Win. today and there will be offering the .45 Colt & 44-40 in 2014 and not this year. There is no concrete plan to offer 24" barrels at this time. Probably, they are waiting to see how sales go first. IMO, this is bass ackwards. I would have offered a 24" case colored rifle out of the chute in 44-40 and then other models depending on sales.  ::)

Offline Blackpowder Burn

• Top Active Citizen
  • Smoke & Lightning
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #141 on: October 15, 2013, 04:40:57 PM »
That gives me more time to accumulate the funds for one in 44-40, as I've spent all of my gun money (and then some) on "opportunity of the moment" purchases for the time being.  ;D
SUBLYME AND HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT
Learned Brother at Armes

Offline Grizzly Adams

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #142 on: October 15, 2013, 09:54:17 PM »
IMO, this is bass ackwards. I would have offered a 24" case colored rifle out of the chute in 44-40 and then other models depending on sales.  ::)

Uhuh, and lost your shirt in the bargain! ;D  While you and I love the 44WCF, most of the market place, outside of a handful of CAS/NCOWS types, does not agree. IMO. ;)  In any case, looking forward to whatever they do next.  Thanks for the heads up!

PS:  Did they happen to mention having anything in the pipeline for this year?
If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you can read this in English, thank a Veteran!
COMNAVFORV, NRA life, SASS Life, TG, STORM Rider #36.
GAF

Advertising

« Reply #143 on: Today at 01:26:35 AM »

Offline Tornado

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 46
« Reply #143 on: October 16, 2013, 09:35:09 AM »
Heads up:  I spoke with Win. today and there will be offering the .45 Colt & 44-40 in 2014 and not this year. There is no concrete plan to offer 24" barrels at this time. Probably, they are waiting to see how sales go first. IMO, this is bass ackwards. I would have offered a 24" case colored rifle out of the chute in 44-40 and then other models depending on sales.  ::)

I will have to start saving my pennies for when they offer a 24" version in .45 Colt  :D .  What was street price the short barreled 357's?

Offline PJ Hardtack

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #144 on: October 16, 2013, 11:29:06 AM »
People have been slamming the Winchester/Miroku for it's mechanical variances and being first offered in .357 instead of 44-40, now we want one chambered in .45 Colt? Whatever would John Wayne think .... ?

I hope they never offer it so chambered. Just my opinion ..... ;D
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on.
I don't do these things to others and I require the same from them."  John Wayne

Offline Ranch 13

• Top Active Citizen
    • Historic Shooting.com
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 8
« Reply #145 on: October 16, 2013, 11:37:12 AM »
I'm hoping they see fit to offer it in 38wcf. I'll be all over that one if they do.
Eat more beef the west wasn't won on a salad.

Offline Long Knife Rich

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #146 on: October 16, 2013, 12:01:59 PM »
I'm hoping they see fit to offer it in 38wcf. I'll be all over that one if they do.

That would be nice. Although I suspect we'll have to settle for the 44wcf.

Offline Tornado

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 46
« Reply #147 on: October 16, 2013, 12:06:13 PM »
People have been slamming the Winchester/Miroku for being first offered in .357 instead of 44-40, now we want one chambered in .45 Colt? Whatever would John Wayne think .... ?

I hope they never offer it so chambered. Just my opinion ..... ;D

Next thing you will be saying is you are against .44cal 1851 Navy's  ;D

Offline Ranch 13

• Top Active Citizen
    • Historic Shooting.com
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 8
« Reply #148 on: October 16, 2013, 12:12:03 PM »
That would be nice. Although I suspect we'll have to settle for the 44wcf.

Nope won't settle for anything, if they don't bring it in 38wcf, I don't buy one.. just that simple.
Eat more beef the west wasn't won on a salad.

Offline PJ Hardtack

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #149 on: October 16, 2013, 02:03:10 PM »
I have nothing against .45 Colt - as a pistol cartridge, and I own several. But after watching friends having to remove the sideplates of their .45 Colt '73's to clean after a match using BP loads, I know that wouldn't be high on my list of fun things to do.

Winchester knew what they were doing with the thin walled 32-20, 38-40 and 44-40.
I don't do these things to others and I require the same from them."  John Wayne

Offline Fox Creek Kid

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 108
« Reply #150 on: October 18, 2013, 04:34:26 AM »
Uhuh, and lost your shirt in the bargain! ;D  While you and I love the 44WCF, most of the market place, outside of a handful of CAS/NCOWS types, does not agree. IMO. ;)  In any case, looking forward to whatever they do next.  Thanks for the heads up!

PS:  Did they happen to mention having anything in the pipeline for this year?

I used to think that, however I don't think they have sold that many in .357 Mag. to be frank. CAS is dying & not growing. It peaked circa. 2000. In the past with the reintro of the '86 & '95 they always made the fancy models first. I'd wager money they haven't sold 1,000 of the .357 model.

The man I spoke with was a marketing fella & not production. To be honest, I never asked about anything else because I cannot think of anything they would make that would interest me, i.e., I'm not into bolt actions nor modern shotguns.

Offline Thomas (Tom) Horn aka James Hicks

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS#86684 Wartrace Regulators
  • Liked:
« Reply #151 on: October 19, 2013, 05:14:14 PM »
It is a SIGN of the times.... really sad when a company as old as Winchester... goes to another company (OUT OF COUNTRY) to make "THEIR" rifle.  The Japanese company makes good "copies"... BUT having said that... I do not consider the "new "Reintroduced" 1873 a real Winchester... it is just another copy.  Hate to say it... but the Uberti 1873 looks a hell of a lot better. my opinion, for what it is worth.
"If I killed that kid, it was the best shot I ever made, and the dirtiest trick I ever did."

Offline Blackfoot

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #152 on: October 20, 2013, 10:26:03 AM »
Fox Creek Kid,
Do you know of any dealer or distributon who has any for sale?

Blackfoot

Offline PJ Hardtack

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #153 on: October 20, 2013, 03:52:20 PM »
Ellwood Epps in Orillia, Ontario, had some and they disappeared PDQ! That will take orders with a deposit.

Offline Grizzly Adams

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #154 on: October 21, 2013, 10:12:40 PM »
Pretty nice write up in the American Rifleman on the new Winchester 1873.

I own Uberti 73s, and I have tuned up a bunch more.  I can confidently assert that the build quality and tolerances of the New Winchester is far better than the Uberti by any standard you care to use.  As for the wood, yes it is "plain" but it is good quality walnut and has a satin oil finish that, IMHO is much nicer that the red varnish (or whatever it is) that Uberti puts on their version.  For what it's worth, it is just the kind of "plain straight grain walnut" that Winchester used back in the day.  The metal polish and prep on the New Winchester is also better than the Uberti.  All in all, for the same money as the Uberti, you get a competition ready Winchester 1873.  As to whether or not it is a "real" Wnchester is a matter of opinion, and how narrow or broad you want to be in your definition.  It is marked Winchester on the tang and on the barrel - to me that makes it a Winchester.  Uberti does not, nor can they put the Winchester name on theirs.

Not bashing Uberti's 73.  It is a very nice rifle, and I use and enjoy them! ;D
If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you can read this in English, thank a Veteran!
GAF

Offline Grizzly Adams

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #155 on: October 21, 2013, 10:26:45 PM »

I don't think they have sold that many in .357 Mag. to be frank. CAS is dying & not growing. It peaked circa. 2000. In the past with the reintro of the '86 & '95 they always made the fancy models first. I'd wager money they haven't sold 1,000 of the .357 model.

I'll take that bet! ;D  I have been trying to pick up another, and no one has them in stock, or knows when they will get more.  Any leads  would be appreciated!  :)

CAS dying?  Don't know about NCOWS, but SASS is alive and well everywhere I go, and I travel a lot!  One thing I have noticed in the last couple of years is younger folks coming into the game. :)
GAF

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 436
« Reply #156 on: October 22, 2013, 12:28:26 AM »
I think with the economy and the ammo shortage , CAS may have leveled out some in the last 6 or 7 years....
and yeah... the gang is getting older....

But dying  :-\  no... it may evolve some....

when planets align...do the deal !

Offline Blackpowder Burn

• Top Active Citizen
  • Smoke & Lightning
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #157 on: October 22, 2013, 07:35:40 AM »
+1 what Grizzly said!  ;D

I'll have one when the 44-40's come out.
SUBLYME AND HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT
Learned Brother at Armes

Offline ndnchf

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #158 on: October 22, 2013, 09:02:04 AM »
+1 on the 44-40.  I'll take one with a 24" octagon barrel and straight grip whenever they are available. The classic '73 Winchester rifle.
"We're all travelers in this world.  From the sweet grass to the packing house, birth till death, we travel between the eternities"  Prentiss Ritter, Broken Trail

Offline dusty texian

• Chief Scout Wehmeyer Ranch's.
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Dusty Texian
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 107
« Reply #159 on: October 22, 2013, 09:12:04 AM »
Will put in an order for one in 44wcf soon as they are ready.,,,,,,Dusty

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com