Author Topic: Winchester May Reintroduce The 1873  (Read 150002 times)

Offline griswold

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Winchester May Reintroduce The 1873
« Reply #120 on: September 15, 2013, 01:08:22 PM »
Then what y'all are saying is the ad for this new rifle....."Winchester reintroduces the 1873 Winchester" is false as Winchester as a company does not exist and the name Winchester is just a brand....a Brand can not reintroduce anything, it is just a name..should be "Browning, Reintroduces"...meaning this new rifle is just another copy of the original like the Uberti, etc.........I understand that now......and can live with it..............but I'd still would like the "country made in" be somewhere not so noticeable..........
Griswold,
The Griswold was favored by my Great Grand Pa James Henry Story who rode with the 7th Georgia Cavalry.

Offline MJN77

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #121 on: September 15, 2013, 01:37:02 PM »
Then what y'all are saying is the ad for this new rifle....."Winchester reintroduces the 1873 Winchester" is false as Winchester as a company does not exist and the name Winchester is just a brand.......meaning this new rifle is just another copy of the original like the Uberti

Now you're getting it.

...but I'd still would like the "country made in" be somewhere not so noticeable.....

You won't notice the stampings when you're shooting the rifle.

Offline Cliff Fendley

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 371
« Reply #122 on: September 16, 2013, 06:30:06 AM »
Then what y'all are saying is the ad for this new rifle....."Winchester reintroduces the 1873 Winchester" is false as Winchester as a company does not exist and the name Winchester is just a brand....a Brand can not reintroduce anything, it is just a name..should be "Browning, Reintroduces"...meaning this new rifle is just another copy of the original like the Uberti, etc.........I understand that now......and can live with it..............but I'd still would like the "country made in" be somewhere not so noticeable..........

And not even an accurate copy of an original with the shortened lever throw. An unknowing person thinking they are buying a real 73 Winchester wont even experience what it was like to shoot a "Real" one.

Short stroke kits are already being made for it so the factory short stroke is not suitable for some competitors, likely the competitors that would be using the non authentic 38 cartridge it was introduced with. IMO they made a pink elephant. Either make something authentic or get it right for competition.
http://www.fendleyknives.com/

NCOWS 3345  RATS 576 NRA Life member

Johnson County Rangers

Advertising

« Reply #123 on: Today at 01:56:39 AM »

Offline PJ Hardtack

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #123 on: September 21, 2013, 07:09:54 PM »
Well, just because of the quality, I've decided to put in an order for a Winchester/Miroku '73, historically correct or not.

I've got a Miroku/Browning '86 and both my wife and I have B-92's, way above the Ubertis I have. The quality is there and what I don't like about the Miroku '73 could be worked out, like the added on gadgetry.

Slagging them makes no sense to me any more than does slagging the Ruger Vaqueros and other SA's for not being authentic, historic productions of the '73 Colt SAA or the Marlin rifles with Micro-Groove rifling.

When I shoot BP exclusively, ride to a CAS event on horseback or roll up on a wagon pulled by a team, then I'll feel justified in pontificating on historical accuracy and authenticity.
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on.
I don't do these things to others and I require the same from them."  John Wayne

Offline Pettifogger

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 20
« Reply #124 on: September 21, 2013, 07:53:48 PM »
And not even an accurate copy of an original with the shortened lever throw. An unknowing person thinking they are buying a real 73 Winchester wont even experience what it was like to shoot a "Real" one.

Short stroke kits are already being made for it so the factory short stroke is not suitable for some competitors, likely the competitors that would be using the non authentic 38 cartridge it was introduced with. IMO they made a pink elephant. Either make something authentic or get it right for competition.

They have to be able to sell them.  If they were relying solely on CAS for sales they would quickly go broke.  It is chambered in .357 not .38 (although a lot of people will shoot .38s in them.)  This caliber is FAR FAR more popular than .45 Colt or .44-40.

Offline Blackfoot

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #125 on: September 22, 2013, 07:38:28 AM »

How long does the stroke have to be in order for it to be a "real Winchester"?  Mine says Winchester on the barrel and the upper tang but I guess that was a mistake.   ::)
Blackfoot

Offline buckskin billy

• Top Active Citizen
    • the buck rub
  • Liked:
« Reply #126 on: September 29, 2013, 11:55:27 AM »
as it is now I have no interest in it. if it becomes availiable in a case harden full length rifle in 44wcf, I may be able to learn to  over look the short stroke and made in japan issues.
" I don't like repeat offenders, I like dead offenders"
-Ted Nugent-

if it walks, crawls, slithers or leaves a track i can tan it

http://thebuckrub.proboards.com/index.cgi?

http://thebuffalorunners.proboards.com/index.cgi

Offline Mike

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #127 on: September 30, 2013, 08:44:17 PM »
It would have to have the correct throw and be in a real calibre for me to buy on. 32 38 44 WCF.

I can get a Uberti in these and they are as good if ot better. My next 73 is going to be a origanal, I have three Uberti's already.
Buffalochip

Offline Grizzly Adams

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #128 on: October 03, 2013, 05:19:40 PM »
Folks are funny sometimes. ;D  Winchester brings this rifle back under their license and folks still don't think it's a "real" Winchester.  They produce the rifle in the original specification for a Model 1873 Standard rifle - i.e. round barrel and bright blue finish, and they get slammed for not doing an octagon and case colors (which were special order options, ........ will be available later BTW.). 

The smartest thing they did was make it competition ready for 90% of the users, and they put it in a caliber they could sell to a bunch of folks! ;)

I really like mine! ;D
If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you can read this in English, thank a Veteran!
COMNAVFORV, NRA life, SASS Life, TG, STORM Rider #36.
GAF

Offline pshort

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #129 on: October 03, 2013, 07:59:22 PM »
Howdy,
 I'm with you on that one, Grizz....
 Some folks bash Henry stuff too. As far as I know, totally made in America, best service you'll ever find, well made guns.. (I have a half dozen or so! Only had to send one in!)
 I also have one of the new Win 73's.. Looks like a mighty fine rig to me.. Shoots well, made well..
The complainers oughta try one..

Paul

Offline Mean Bob Mean

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #130 on: October 03, 2013, 09:42:51 PM »
Folks are funny sometimes.

It's an 1873 and it says Winchester.  Something truly righteous about that.

Mean Bob
"We tried a desperate game and lost. But we are rough men used to rough ways, and we will abide by the consequences."
- Cole Younger

Offline MJN77

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #131 on: October 04, 2013, 12:56:32 AM »
It's an 1873 and it says Winchester.  Something truly righteous about that.

It also says "made in Japan by Miroku". How is that different than "made in Italy by Uberti"?  ??? A copy is a copy.

The "winchester" name is nothing more than a licensed trademark owned by the Olin corporation. The nostalgic company of American history is long gone. As dead as the old west itself. But hey, if those ten little letters stamped on the barrel make you feel all warm and gooey inside then that's all that matters. Buy what you like. You're right Griz, folks sure are funny.  ::)

P.S. For the record, I own four "miroku-chester" rifles and they are fantastic guns.

Offline Cliff Fendley

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 371
« Reply #132 on: October 04, 2013, 06:32:55 AM »
I suppose Miroku could stamp "Browning" on it and it would be a 'real' Browning.  ::)

Miroku does make good guns, I love my Browning A-Bolt.

http://www.fendleyknives.com/

NCOWS 3345  RATS 576 NRA Life member

Johnson County Rangers

Offline ndnchf

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #133 on: October 04, 2013, 07:32:25 AM »
For those who want a "real" Winchester, buy an original.  They made a bunch of 'em and shooter grade rifles are not much more expensive, and in some cases less expensive than new made versions.  Whether they are made in Italy, Japan or Timbuktu, any current made 1873 is a reproduction, recreation or replica (shoose your favorite term) of the originals.  I have nothing against the new made versions, I have some myself.  But arguing whether a barrel stamp makes it real or not seems very silly. 
"We're all travelers in this world.  From the sweet grass to the packing house, birth till death, we travel between the eternities"  Prentiss Ritter, Broken Trail

Offline chuckerbird

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #134 on: October 04, 2013, 07:37:17 AM »
+1 grizzly. I really like mine. Shoots great. Action is smooth as glass. Looks great. What more do you want?

Offline MJN77

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #135 on: October 04, 2013, 07:50:39 AM »
I really like mine. Shoots great. Action is smooth as glass. Looks great. What more do you want?
I can say the same things about my Uberti 73.

I suppose Miroku could stamp "Browning" on it and it would be a 'real' Browning.

Miroku does make good guns, I love my Browning A-Bolt.

I have a browning stamped Miroku 1886 saddle ring carbine. Like it very much. Good shooter.

Offline Long Knife Rich

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #136 on: October 04, 2013, 08:03:31 AM »
  But arguing whether a barrel stamp makes it real or not seems very silly. 

I agree. Made in Italy, or made in Japan, they're both good rifles. I'm glad another manufacturer was willing to take a chance on a classic style rifle.

Offline buckskin billy

• Top Active Citizen
    • the buck rub
  • Liked:
« Reply #137 on: October 04, 2013, 04:40:58 PM »
from what I seen the price aint too much different than a uberti. glad to hear a case harden octagon barrel will soon be availiable
" I don't like repeat offenders, I like dead offenders"
-Ted Nugent-

if it walks, crawls, slithers or leaves a track i can tan it

http://thebuckrub.proboards.com/index.cgi?

http://thebuffalorunners.proboards.com/index.cgi

Offline shrapnel

• There is nothing like the original
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Keeping what made the West safe, alive
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #138 on: October 14, 2013, 02:02:40 PM »
Looking at the pictures after enlarging them, there is little to get excited about. That front sight could be made to look more original and the wood is "bulby" in it's look to where it fits the metal. The wood does need finish and the color/case looks like a Magic Marker job. Winchester has also been guilty of poor stamping and this gun is no different. You could do a better job with single letters.

It is too bad, but this gun reeks of design by a college grad and not a Winchester aficionado...
I never considered myself a failure...I started out at the bottom and happen to like it here!

Offline Grizzly Adams

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #139 on: October 14, 2013, 05:52:35 PM »
Bulby? ...... ???
If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you can read this in English, thank a Veteran!
COMNAVFORV, NRA life, SASS Life, TG, STORM Rider #36.
GAF

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com