Author Topic: Question on 1860 Army (Pietta) conversion using Kirst Konverters Gated  (Read 5385 times)

Offline Thomas (Tom) Horn aka James Hicks

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS#86684 Wartrace Regulators
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
I have a couple of 1860 Army's by Pietta and am thinking on installing Kirst Konverters w/Loading Gate and Ejector Assemblies. My question: For those that have done it, What do you do with the Loading Lever Retainer after installing the above system?  Pietta's Loading Lever Retainer is mounted in a dove tail slot under the barrel.  When installing the Ejector Assembly the loading lever is removed.  Do you just leave the L/Lever retainer on (which does not look right) or take it off (then you have an open dove tail slot on the barrel, and that does not look right).  I have not ordered yet, but am thinking about it.  Would like some of your opine's on this. I converted my Uberti 1858 Remington with Kirst and was very pleased at how it turned out. Thought of doing the same with the 1860's, but they are a wee bit different than the 1858.  Thanks in advance.
"If I killed that kid, it was the best shot I ever made, and the dirtiest trick I ever did."

Offline Tornado

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 46
Re: Question on 1860 Army (Pietta) conversion using Kirst Konverters Gated
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2012, 07:42:00 AM »
I have seen the catch removed and left that way.  I have seen where someone shaped some steel to fill the void.  When I did mine I cut the barrel off right behind the catch, you have to get a new sight though.

Offline Raven

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Ravens Roost Gunsmithing
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2012, 08:25:16 AM »
I File the catch off (start with a grinder....finish with a file). Leaving a dovetail filler. Then just cold blue it.  ;D
Looks professional and it's a lot less work than cutting off the barrel and replacing the front sight.
Raven
Kirst Konverters

Advertising

Offline Thomas (Tom) Horn aka James Hicks

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS#86684 Wartrace Regulators
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2012, 10:24:02 PM »
Thanks much to Tornado and Raven... thinking about it after I made the post... I do not want to shorten the barrels, so I have ordered two extra Pietta's Loading Lever Retainers from VTI. I will cut two as fillers and then IFN I ever want to go back to C&B I can reinstall. Thanks much for the way you did it...
"If I killed that kid, it was the best shot I ever made, and the dirtiest trick I ever did."

Offline rifle

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2012, 10:04:48 AM »
Sound wisdom Raven. I'm thunkin you must be a gunsmith or sumpthin. :o     :D
I'd figger after you filed that area you'd a charcoal blued the whole barrel though? ???

Offline Raven

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Ravens Roost Gunsmithing
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2012, 02:12:53 PM »
Just didn't figure the OP had the equipment!  ;)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com