Author Topic: Conversion project, opinions PLEASE.  (Read 6977 times)

Offline Slowhand Bob

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Conversion project, opinions PLEASE.
« on: December 07, 2012, 09:26:14 AM »
Guys I will be sending a pair of my favorite Pieatts off for Kirst Conversion work pretty soon and have run into a question.  First off the guns are the engraved  Pietta '51 Sheriffs Models in .44cal, these are the ones that look like stainless.  My original plan was to have the Kirst parts polished to white, in an attempt to match the guns.  The gunsmith and I agreed that the mix of blue on a gun that already had shiny white and brass parts might look a bit funky.  After talking with a dew others I am being told that the different make-up in the steel will cause the parts to discolor/rust differently and look worse than just leaving the parts blue?   What you guys thoughts on this?  There is one other possibility I could try in order to help that third color situation a bit, get the brass parts plated?  There is surely a way to get a close match to the shiny steal?  Keep in mind that unlike some of the Conversions I see this one must be kept within a budget limit but I am thinking of doing it in stages with the basic conversion first.  I need to get to the gunsmith soon on this as I will be heading south for the holidays, so help with some opinions please.  Dawnt be shy, help.

Offline Billy Bristol

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #97003
  • Liked:
Re: Conversion project, opinions PLEASE.
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2012, 09:41:44 AM »
Brass plate the cylinders?
Always knew I was born 100 yrs too late.

New Britain, CT

Offline Slowhand Bob

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2012, 08:12:46 AM »
The guns were shipped several days ago, I decided to just put off anything to do with the finish and go with blue conversions on the shiny guns.  I will not get them back until after the holiday season but will post pictures and report when I can.  I did not include the extractors but will probably add them on later, as funds become available!   :-\

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 10:51:17 PM »

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 132
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2012, 08:41:51 PM »

Well, since you shipped 'em away anyway, one answer you received was horsefeathers.  Once you apply a fine machine polish to steel it can be very resistant to rust.  The answer is to keep a light coat of lubricant on the surface.  No water based lubricant.  Next and better answer is to have the conversion cylinder Nickel plated.  The conversion ring will probably be CCH and you'll be stuck with that.

Coffinmaker

Offline pony express

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2012, 10:28:13 PM »
Will they be gated conversions? If so, what will you do to finish the frame cutout?

Offline Fingers McGee

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Smoke & Fire
  • SASS #: R28654
  • NCOWS #: 3638
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 6
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2012, 10:56:03 PM »
Guys I will be sending a pair of my favorite Pieatts off for Kirst Conversion work pretty soon and have run into a question.  First off the guns are the engraved  Pietta '51 Sheriffs Models in .44cal, these are the ones that look like stainless.  My original plan was to have the Kirst parts polished to white, in an attempt to match the guns.  The gunsmith and I agreed that the mix of blue on a gun that already had shiny white and brass parts might look a bit funky.  After talking with a dew others I am being told that the different make-up in the steel will cause the parts to discolor/rust differently and look worse than just leaving the parts blue?   What you guys thoughts on this?  There is one other possibility I could try in order to help that third color situation a bit, get the brass parts plated?  There is surely a way to get a close match to the shiny steal?  Keep in mind that unlike some of the Conversions I see this one must be kept within a budget limit but I am thinking of doing it in stages with the basic conversion first.  I need to get to the gunsmith soon on this as I will be heading south for the holidays, so help with some opinions please.  Dawnt be shy, help.

Deblue and polish the conversion parts to a high luster and keep em clean.  I put steel BS/TG on one of my Marshal models after I deblued the parts and polished them.  They don't rust if you keep em clean and polished.  Rennaisance Wax helps.
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee;
SASS Regulator 28654 - L - TG; NCOWS 3638
AKA Man of many Colts; Diabolical Ken's alter ego; stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman/Pistoleer; Rangemaster
Founding Member - Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Member - Southern Missouri Rangers;
NRA Patron Life: GOA; CCRKBA; SAF; SV-114 (CWO4 ret); STORM 327

"Cynic:  A blackguard whose faulty vision sees thing as they are, not as they should be"  Ambrose Bierce

Offline Graveyard Jack

• Top Active Citizen
  • aka CraigC
    • Graveyard Jack's Custom Sixgun Leather
  • SASS #: 81,827
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 89
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2013, 12:57:43 PM »
I've thought about buying one of those for conversion as well. I would have the whole gun, including the conversion cylinder and ring, nickeled.
SASS #81,827

Offline Slowhand Bob

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2013, 01:04:56 PM »
I am back home now and as soon as the pair are finished I will photo as well as possible, me and cameras do not git along well,  and post here.  Had  the all steel Taylors 44 Pietta pistols been offered before starting I might have tried to go with a pair of those and leave these shiny ones as cap and ball.  Fingers, I may go back to that as a plan later, when I can accumulate the money to add ejector rods.

Offline rbertalotto

• Top Active Citizen
    • RVB Precision
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2013, 01:59:28 PM »
these are the ones that look like stainless.

Are they indeed stainless...or are they nickle plated brass frames?

I didn't realize that Pietta ever made the 51 in anything other than carbon steel or brass............. ???
Roy B
South of Boston
www.rvbprecision.com
SASS #93544

Offline Slowhand Bob

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2013, 09:08:17 AM »
I hear a lot of claims from people guessing BUT the most believable idea I have heard is that it is not stainless but it is also not what they normally use for their bp line, but is rather a different version that is slightly less corrosive??  The Pietta guy used to follow these boards pretty regularly but seem to have stopped several years back so, sadly, I no longer even remember his cowboy name.  We no longer have a truly reliable source of answers that I know can be trusted.   

Offline Raven

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Ravens Roost Gunsmithing
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2013, 09:15:18 AM »
The ones I've seen (converted) were nickle plated over steel.
Don't know what the alloy is. :P

Haven't had any problems with polished steel rusting.....but I clean and oil regularly.

Raven

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2013, 02:41:38 PM »

Bob,
Your talking about Alesandro Pietta.  AKA:  Alcamiesta.  Great guy. 
The Pietta .44 Cal '51 is carbon steel, polished and heat treated.  Properly cared for, no more susceptible to rust than a blue gun.  Just avoid water based lubricants (Balistol).  You might even want to try Boshield T-9.

Coffinmaker

Offline Slowhand Bob

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2013, 08:47:54 AM »
Thanks guys.  I do wish he would drop in occasionally, it is always good for the troops when a general takes time to drop in.

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2013, 08:04:42 PM »
Hey Bob,

Since you didn't send Your guns to me (good thing - I'm retired now), who's workin on 'em for ya.

Coffinmaker

Offline Slowhand Bob

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2013, 08:14:05 AM »
Guys, I talked with Hoof Hearted by confuser email yestiddy and am having my pistols taken a step farther.  I am using this months govt funds to add on the Kirst ejectors to the project guns.  Not sure how a three tone pistol will look but as soon as I get them I will add some pictures here.   

Offline Mean Bob Mean

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2013, 12:10:53 AM »
Not sure how a three tone pistol will look but as soon as I get them I will add some pictures here.   

They'll be awesome!
"We tried a desperate game and lost. But we are rough men used to rough ways, and we will abide by the consequences."
- Cole Younger

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com