Author Topic: Treso Nipples for Dragoon: Cap Size?  (Read 6215 times)

Offline Niederlander

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 6
Treso Nipples for Dragoon: Cap Size?
« on: November 05, 2012, 07:45:29 PM »
Hello!
     I'm going to be switching to Treso nipples on my Dragoon.  What size Remington caps do they use?  (I need to know because I'm going to be placing a large order soon.)  Thanks!
"There go those Nebraskans, and all hell couldn't stop them!"

Offline Fingers McGee

• Top Active Citizen
  • Smoke & Fire
  • SASS #: R28654
  • NCOWS #: 3638
  • Liked:
Re: Treso Nipples for Dragoon: Cap Size?
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2012, 12:38:37 PM »
Treso says Remington 11s.  I've always had good service using Remington #10s.  
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee;
SASS Regulator 28654 - L - TG; NCOWS 3638
AKA Man of many Colts; Diabolical Ken's alter ego; stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman/Pistoleer; Rangemaster
Founding Member - Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Member - Southern Missouri Rangers;
NRA Patron Life: GOA; CCRKBA; SAF; SV-114 (CWO4 ret); STORM 327

"Cynic:  A blackguard whose faulty vision sees thing as they are, not as they should be"  Ambrose Bierce

Offline Niederlander

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2012, 08:06:30 AM »
Are you shooting a Dragoon or one of the "Belt" models?
"There go those Nebraskans, and all hell couldn't stop them!"

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 06:26:50 PM »

Offline Sir Charles deMouton-Black

• THE ANCIENT SUBSTANCE ENDURES - ALL LESSER PROPELLANTS SHALL FIZZLE
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 411
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2012, 10:12:37 AM »
I should think that the nipple is what determines the cap size, not necessarily the revolver.  My Tresos in both thread sizes from Italy work beautifully with #10 Remington caps
NCOWS #1154, SCORRS, STORM, BROW, 1860 Henry, Dirty Rat 502, CHINOOK COUNTRY
THE SUBLYME & HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT (SHOTS)
Those who are no longer ignorant of History may relive it,
without the Blood, Sweat, and Tears.
With apologies to George Santayana & W. S. Churchill

"As Mark Twain once put it, “History doesn’t repeat itself, but it does rhyme.”

Offline Fingers McGee

• Top Active Citizen
  • Smoke & Fire
  • SASS #: R28654
  • NCOWS #: 3638
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2012, 10:45:18 AM »
I should think that the nipple is what determines the cap size, not necessarily the revolver.  My Tresos in both thread sizes from Italy work beautifully with #10 Remington caps

What SIr Charles said +1
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee;
SASS Regulator 28654 - L - TG; NCOWS 3638
AKA Man of many Colts; Diabolical Ken's alter ego; stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman/Pistoleer; Rangemaster
Founding Member - Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Member - Southern Missouri Rangers;
NRA Patron Life: GOA; CCRKBA; SAF; SV-114 (CWO4 ret); STORM 327

"Cynic:  A blackguard whose faulty vision sees thing as they are, not as they should be"  Ambrose Bierce

JohnsonBarr

« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2012, 12:24:43 PM »
Remington #10 work best. All my (21) cap guns wear Treso nipples. You can buy them by the 1,000 from Cabela's. Save the shipping and hazmat fee by picking them up at your local Cabela's store.

Online Crow Choker

• Top Active Citizen
  • River Banker Extraordinaire
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 36
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2012, 10:34:49 AM »
Always heard that Rem #10's worked best on Treso's. Read a report once that Treso's were designed using CCI #11's, but that Rem 10's are internally the same as CCI 11's. Seems to me Mako (where the Heck is he anyway) pointed that out in one of his percussion cap posts. As a side note a/k/a 'post heist' do any of you expierence problems in getting Rem #10's. Here in N. Iowa/S. Minnesota they have dissappeared from shelves and gun shop owners say their sources can't get them. Tried cci #11's and don't like.
Darksider-1911 Shooter-BOLD Chambers-RATS-SCORRS-STORM-1860 Henry(1866)-Colt Handgun Lover an' Fan-NRA-"RiverRat"-Conservative American Patriot and Former Keeper & Enforcer of the Law an' Proud of Being Both! >oo

Offline Steel Horse Bailey

• Jeff "Steel Horse Bailey" - BP Warthog & C&B Shooter
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • A Master of the Sublime & Holy Order or the Soot
  • SASS #: 27463
  • NCOWS #: 1919
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2012, 07:50:36 PM »
I have a 2nd Gen. 1st Mod. Colt Dragoon.  The original cones took #12 caps.  The TRESO nips I bought work PERFECTLY with Remington #11s, which are a hair longer (read: tighter fitting) than CCI #11s.  Those are the only brands I've tried so far, but since the Remingtons fit perfectly and are nearly 100% dependable (YMMV) I haven't bothered to get any other brands.
"May Your Powder always be Dry and Black; Your Smoke always White; and Your Flames Always Light the Way to Eternal Shooting Fulfillment !"

Offline Slowhand Bob

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2012, 08:09:08 AM »
Do the Uberti 3rd Model Dragoon and Walkers use the same nipples as the belt pistol models?  If not, do those guys at Slix offer a nipple in the correct size for the horse pistols?  It has been noticed that nipple wrenches are made as specifically being Walker and Dragoon size.  I hope to order the supplies now and start shooting the revolvers right after the first of the year so some guidance would be appreciated.  Currently I have only #10 Remington caps and a couple of tins of CCI caps in #10.  Am I right in assuming .457 balls for these two revolvers?

JohnsonBarr

« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2012, 12:45:38 PM »
The Treso thread size you need is 1/4-28. The six pack catalog number is 11-50-136; single packaged nipples are: 11-50-13. I buy mine from JedediahStarr.com  I think you will find that the Hornady .454 swaged round balls will work best in your Uberti.

Online Crow Choker

• Top Active Citizen
  • River Banker Extraordinaire
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 36
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2012, 11:14:02 PM »
Niederlander: I've found that CCI #10's are are on the tight side for most stock nipples found on Uberti and Pietta Cap and Ball's. ie Dragoon, 1860's, 1851 44's, and Remington. I know for a fact they fit tight and won't seat on my Uberti 2nd Model Dragoon stock nipples. I bought 500 of em a while back and haven't shot a full tin yet. The only thing they fit on is a spare cylinder for a '58 Pietta Rem I bought several yrs ago. If ya want to read the 'who's who' of brand type of various caps and their relationship to various nipples, read Mako's post on the 'Darksiders Den'/The Dark Arts titled "Cap Gun Primer: Correct Cone Length". Alot of info and good reading!!!! As I posted previously, I've found Rem #10's fit the bill for all my needs with the guns I mentioned, plus a '51 Colt 36 cal (Uberti). I've never tried any Rem #11's of current manufacture, just some older ones from the 1980-early 1990 time period, they were too sloppy!
Darksider-1911 Shooter-BOLD Chambers-RATS-SCORRS-STORM-1860 Henry(1866)-Colt Handgun Lover an' Fan-NRA-"RiverRat"-Conservative American Patriot and Former Keeper & Enforcer of the Law an' Proud of Being Both! >oo

Offline Steel Horse Bailey

• Jeff "Steel Horse Bailey" - BP Warthog & C&B Shooter
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • A Master of the Sublime & Holy Order or the Soot
  • SASS #: 27463
  • NCOWS #: 1919
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2012, 02:59:28 AM »
Yep, Crow Chowder.

OOPS!  :o

Sorry - Crow Choker !

;)

Remington caps have a bad rep due to sloppiness in manufacturing, but the ones I've used (within the last 4-5 years) have been much improved and I've had really good luck with the 1200-1500 I've used.  (Very few were of the same lot#, most I bought were one or 2 tins at a time and from 4 or 5 locations.  All were #11 size.)
"May Your Powder always be Dry and Black; Your Smoke always White; and Your Flames Always Light the Way to Eternal Shooting Fulfillment !"

Offline Roshi

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2012, 08:00:40 PM »
I have a 2nd Gen. 1st Mod. Colt Dragoon.  The original cones took #12 caps.  The TRESO nips I bought work PERFECTLY with Remington #11s, which are a hair longer (read: tighter fitting) than CCI #11s.  Those are the only brands I've tried so far, but since the Remingtons fit perfectly and are nearly 100% dependable (YMMV) I haven't bothered to get any other brands.

Rem #11's work well on my Tresco nipples. Even with the HAZMAT buying 1000 caps from Cabelas is cheaper than buying them at the local sporting goods chain.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com