Author Topic: More shooting results with Open Top .38s  (Read 1542 times)

Offline PJ Hardtack

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
More shooting results with Open Top .38s
« on: November 04, 2012, 10:47:22 AM »
An unexpected turn of the weather gave me cause to go to the range yesterday .....

Tried BP in my 5-1/2" '71 - 17.5 FFg/160 GCSWC (no gas check installed) lubed with SPG. Shot two groups 'Duelist' at 15 yards after first shooting a group with smokeless - 3.5 Red Dot/160 hard cast SWC. I'm not interested in what my guns can do from a rest, as I will not be shooting them that way.

There was no appreciable difference in group size. All groups were 10 shot groups as  feel I get a better indication of the load and my ability than with 5 shot groups. A couple of times I wished I had quit after printing a 4 shot 3/4" cluster with the smokeless load. An occasional 'shooter induced' flyer widened all groups to just over 3".

Oddly, the BP load was closer to POA than the smokeless, which prints 1-1/2" to the right of POA at 15 yds. This became more pronounced at 25 yds with the smokeless load, using a two hand hold, printing 2-1/2" low and 2" right of POA; 6 rds in a nice 2" cluster. Flyers widened that to 4". This was fired right after the BP load. I didn't shoot at 25 yds with the BP load - this time.

As for the 'fun factor', the BP load wins hands down, recoil being at least twice what is with smokeless. A nice, resounding report and lots of smoke. Function was fine with the limited number of rounds fired.

I had not yet printed at 25 yds with the 7-1/2" '71 using smokeless and was gratified with a well centred 10 shot 6"group using a two hand hold.
Then it was time to play, ringing the the 10"x12" 50 yd gong with the smokeless load in the 7-1/2" gun with every shot. I could learn to like these guns ....
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on.
I don't do these things to others and I require the same from them."  John Wayne

Offline Sir Charles deMouton-Black

• THE ANCIENT SUBSTANCE ENDURES - ALL LESSER PROPELLANTS SHALL FIZZLE
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 411
Re: More shooting results with Open Top .38s
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2012, 02:40:16 PM »
Looks like you are ready for anything with those revolvers and ammo.

The SWC style catches up on the chamber in my Uberti 1866.  I went to the RCBS 38-140-RNFP for a single load for both my Richard Masons and the Yellowboy.
NCOWS #1154, SCORRS, STORM, BROW, 1860 Henry, Dirty Rat 502, CHINOOK COUNTRY
THE SUBLYME & HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT (SHOTS)
Those who are no longer ignorant of History may relive it,
without the Blood, Sweat, and Tears.
With apologies to George Santayana & W. S. Churchill

"As Mark Twain once put it, “History doesn’t repeat itself, but it does rhyme.”

Offline PJ Hardtack

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2012, 06:56:11 PM »
My wife has the same problem with SWCs in her .357 Marlin carbine. She won't use anything other than RNFPs and the gun shoots best with 130 gr bullets.
On the other hand, her 3/4 size frame .38 Uberti 'Stallions' do their best work with 158s of any shape. Now that I've got three .38 Open Tops, I have to stock up on 158s.

Hell of a problem to have ... ;>)
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on.
I don't do these things to others and I require the same from them."  John Wayne

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 06:02:38 PM »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com