Author Topic: Need opinion  (Read 1509 times)

Offline Southpaw

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Need opinion
« on: September 27, 2012, 11:02:02 AM »
I replaced the backstraps on my Uberti 1860 Armys and finished the grips on one so far. My question is that I first used Citrus stip to claen the stock coating and sanded to fit the new backstrap. I used Varathane Dark Walnut stain and then cleared it with Varathane exterior water based satin spar finish as directed applying 4 coats. The color and finish looks great but my question is did I use something totally wrong for a pistol grip,will gun oil dissolve the finish. I am looking for opinions before I finish the second one. My intentions were to seal the wood. Thanks,Southpaw

Offline Forty Rod

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Re: Need opinion
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2012, 02:42:08 PM »
Only issue I can see is that they may be slick when your hands sweat on them.  Other than that (and there's nothing certain) they will probably be alright
People like me are the reason people like you have the right to bitch about people like me.

Offline Southpaw

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2012, 02:45:46 PM »
Thanks Forty Rod, I used a satin finish,I can't imagine they would be any slicker than the Uberti finish...Southpaw

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 06:34:31 PM »

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 132
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2012, 10:58:19 PM »

Spar Varnish is quite acceptable as a grip finish.  It will "seal" the wood as much as it can be sealed.  The wood will still "move" annually.  It won't tend to absorb as much oil.  It will wear over time and need to be reapplied.  Probably in about 8 - 10 years depending on how much you shoot.

Coffinmaker

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com