Author Topic: Thinking about converting my Pietta 1851 .36 Navy  (Read 15804 times)

Offline RebHolister

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Thinking about converting my Pietta 1851 .36 Navy
« Reply #20 on: September 13, 2012, 06:15:43 PM »
RAVEN

Well said!  Keep up the good work.
I am saving my pennies to do another 1860.

Offline MJN77

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #21 on: September 13, 2012, 08:31:12 PM »
If Americans want jobs to stay at home and if you want small business to create jobs
Put Your Money Where Your Mouth Is!

Raven

Amen!

Offline Doug.38PR

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: September 13, 2012, 11:27:54 PM »
man....so many choices, a lot to consider.  I really don't mind doing heeled bullets.....in fact I think I have some.  If they are what  I'm thinking about they are conical 125 gr bullets that can also be used in paper cartridges  or just handloaded into the ball and cap cylinder used in place  of a round ball.

I don't even mind shooting .357 bullets (like said they don't do too bad) using my R&D Conversion Cylinder (I just don't like having to break down the whole gun to load and unload LOL!!)

I like the idea of the Kirst Konverter as it does little to further alter the gun (like drillng holes).  On the  other hand, the two screw holes that R&D provides sound a little more stable.  Not sure I like the idea of a gate rocking around or wiggling.  Which one is more true to history?

Don't like the idea of buying a whole new gun for all this, especially a cartridge loading gun.  But then a part of me still doesn't like the idea of carving up my first handgun that was a gift...even if it can swap back and forth from ball and cap.  (but then the gun is pretty beat up from years of use, holsterwear and scrubbing rust)

Advertising

« Reply #23 on: Today at 06:27:34 PM »

Offline Long Johns Wolf

• Top Active Citizen
  • "Centaures will make you become addicted"
    • Belgian Colt, aka Centaure, aka Centennial Army, aka "1960 NEW MODEL ARMY"
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 45
« Reply #23 on: September 14, 2012, 02:41:05 AM »
My 2 € cents: When I had my Centaure RM Army conversion built one of the key issues was to get a PC RM barrel. Because back then the RM barrels were newly made with a very different contour. They were not C&B barrels just fitted with an ejector like the Richards and Richards transitional. The other issue was that I wanted to shoot the pistol with .44 Colt inside lubed ammo with .429 dia bullets.
The cost effective solution was to use a semi-finished Uberti RM Army barrel in .44 Colt.
Although its measurements are different because it is higher compared to the C&B barrel my smith could fit it to the Centaure frame by
a. cutting it from the breechside through the opening of the wedge
b. welding the barrel together again to proper C&B pistol hight
c. redrilling the hole for the arbor, etc..
c. this operation provided the additional option to recontour the Uberti barrel to proper Colt RM shape because the Uberti "S" curve is a bit flat
So we ended up with a RM Army barrel of PC measurements in the modern .44 Colt caliber.
I am pretty certain a similar procedure can be used on a Pietta Navy frame with a semi-finished Uberti RM Navy barrel assembly in .38 Special/.38 Colt barrel.
Long Johns Wolf
BOSS 156, CRR 169 (Hon.), FROCS 2, Henry Board, SCORRS, STORM 229, SV Hofheim 1938, VDW, BDS, SASS

Offline Long Johns Wolf

• Top Active Citizen
  • "Centaures will make you become addicted"
    • Belgian Colt, aka Centaure, aka Centennial Army, aka "1960 NEW MODEL ARMY"
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 45
« Reply #24 on: September 14, 2012, 09:41:53 AM »
Raven & campfire: that person is a tool maker & gifted master gunsmith. He goes by the nickname "Tinkerer from Vösendorf".
The semi-finished barrel in the white was not that expensive. We did not order the barrel WITH ejector housing from Italy because of the limited PCnes.
There are some pics of the process on www.1960nma.org, click conversions on the left navigation bar, then click on Centaure RM conversion.
Long Johns Wolf
BOSS 156, CRR 169 (Hon.), FROCS 2, Henry Board, SCORRS, STORM 229, SV Hofheim 1938, VDW, BDS, SASS

Offline Doug.38PR

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: September 15, 2012, 09:49:14 PM »
which one is more true to history, the R&D or Kirst Konverter?

If I get a Pietta, how would I go about getting a shorter barrel if desired (and getting higher front sight)

I think what I'm going to do is buy another Pietta, buy one or the other converter set, an ejector rod.

That will give me an additional ball and cap cylinder for my B&C Pietta that I have already.   And I won't mind altering the new gun  as the old one is a treasured gift.

Offline Graveyard Jack

• Top Active Citizen
  • aka CraigC
    • Graveyard Jack's Custom Sixgun Leather
  • SASS #: 81,827
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 89
« Reply #26 on: September 16, 2012, 09:20:05 AM »
I'd have the conversion installed professionally. You can have the barrel shortened and a dovetail front sight installed then. See my 3rd Model Dragoon w/Kirst converter thread below.
SASS #81,827

Offline Graveyard Jack

• Top Active Citizen
  • aka CraigC
    • Graveyard Jack's Custom Sixgun Leather
  • SASS #: 81,827
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 89
« Reply #27 on: September 16, 2012, 09:34:58 AM »
...but if you send a .358" diameter cast bullet down a .375" bore, you will get leading and poor accuracy.
SASS #81,827

Offline Doug.38PR

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #28 on: September 16, 2012, 01:12:14 PM »
...but if you send a .358" diameter cast bullet down a .375" bore, you will get leading and poor accuracy.

1) The accuracy isn't that bad as I do this already with my drop in R&D converter, the worst that happens is occasional tumbling.

2) I can get hollow base 125 gr bullets, much easier to reload than to load them in the ball and cap cylinder

Offline Flinch Morningwood

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #29 on: September 23, 2012, 09:59:08 PM »
All I can speak for is myself and my two piettas....

I did the R&D conversion myself and it wasn't that bad...his installation jig made it easy to line up.  I did go through about three different hands (part name)  getting the  timing right but since then they have worked fine.  I also installed the ejector myself which was much easier than the conversion.  

I have also gone through about three different grips...I make a new set every year or so when I get the itch.

The major problem I had was with the  firing pins...the original ones were too soft and peened over and started sticking so I got hardened ones which have worked fine.

I started out shoot hollow-base bullets which work great but are a pain to cast one at a time.  I am now experimenting with heeled bullets, ordering some pre-made and a new crimping die before I get a 4 bullet mold.

I am also looking to get the pistols nickel plated as I understand that was often done when they were converted...that may be the first thing I don't do myself - although I did order the electroless plating brochure  ;).

I enjoy getting into working on these pistols....It's not hard but it does take the desire to do it yourself.   We used to have a saying, if it was easy, anyone could do it.

If you want to just buy a weapon, some ammo and go shoot - this probably isn't the route to go.  If your looking for a challenge and a unique set of pistols - give it a try.

Feel free ask any specific questions you may have.

Good luck!
"I'll kill a man in a fair fight. Or if I think he's gonna start a fair fight."

- Jayne Cobb

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com