Author Topic: Grabber front sights  (Read 10588 times)

Offline J.D. Yellowhammer

• Top Active Citizen
  • Great-great-grandaddy Mack Cullars, 1864, CSA vet.
    • Being constructed as we speak...
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Grabber front sights
« on: August 21, 2012, 08:17:01 AM »
Howdy folks, haven't been here in a while due to some health issues but I'm returned and on the mend.

I have a dilemma: my Uberti '73 rifle shoots high at CAS distances so I'm going to install a new, taller front sight. I know that beaded ivory and brass front sights were used in the 19th century, and since one health issue is nerve damage in my dominant eye (similar to glaucoma) I want to put in a beaded brass sight. My choices are the Marbles and the Grabber.

The Grabber has two diameter choices, both are a few thousandths bigger than the Marbles. And Grabber is a modern company.  That would suggest that it would be NCOWS illegal. I did a thread search and the only remark I could find is that someone thought it "might" be illegal. Nothing definitive.

I can't find much information about beaded factory front sights from Winchester Repeating Arms Co.
Marbles started manufacturing sights in 1892. Not sure when they produced beaded front sights.
Lyman made his tang sight in 1879. Again, not sure about fronts.

So, do we really know the diameter of the 19th century brass beads (as opposed to the modern ones offered by Marbles, Grabber, etc.)? I can't find a reference, and since I'm not independently wealthy I can't buy old Henry's/Winchesters/etc. or travel to firearms museums, micrometer in hand, asking to measure their exhibits.  :P  Regardless of Marble's modern offering, do we know what they offered in 1892? Or Lyman or anyone else?

I could boil all this pratter down to the basic question: Is the Grabber legal? (specifically the .130")

Lunarian, n.  An inhabitant of the moon, as distinguished from Lunatic, one whom the moon inhabits. (Ambrose Bierce).  Which one are you?

Offline Cash Creek

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • In GOD we trust..all others cash only..
  • Liked:
Re: Grabber front sights
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2012, 11:44:50 AM »
I also had to put a taller sight on my 73..I don't remember the name of it but it looks just like the one that came on the 73 but taller..I will see it I can fine it again on the net.. if the Grabber looks like the one that came on your rifle then I would think it OK..I had to do a little filing to get the new sight to fit..CA$H
Hiram Ranger #100, Westside Sportsmen Club, NCOWS 3395, SASS 90169, NRA, Col. Bishop's Renegades... Cowgirls are like barbed wire…handle with care.

Offline Yuma Kid

• NCOWS Editor (The Shootist Magazine)
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • John "Yuma Kid" Irons
  • SASS #: 31302
  • NCOWS #: L129
  • GAF #: 767
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 28
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2012, 12:26:36 PM »
J.D.
Happy to hear your are on the mend!  If the Judge doesn't jump in here, you can get an answer by contacting him directly by sending an email to judge@ncows.org
Yuma
Keep Yer Powder Dry!

NCOWS #L129,  G.A.F. # 767, SASS #31302, NRA Life Endowment, Lancaster County Bounty Collection Agentcy #29

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 08:15:33 PM »

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2012, 05:49:43 AM »
Thanks, ya'll.  I'm still trying to figure out what was available back in the day. The books that mention sights mostly talk about verniers, tang sights, etc.  They don't spend much time talking about the other end of the barrel...
Lunarian, n.  An inhabitant of the moon, as distinguished from Lunatic, one whom the moon inhabits. (Ambrose Bierce).  Which one are you?

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 445
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2012, 11:28:55 AM »
Peruse here http://www.trackofthewolf.com/List/Item.aspx/874/6

all kinds of Period Sights ... I personally use the Rocky Mountain Sight
FS-TC-TWB front sight, extra tall .080" thick silver blade, brass base

BTW... Take a Dremmel Tool with a Cut wheel and 38 Spc Brass.
cut a 5/16 X 5/16 sq. slightly keystoned from the end.
You have made a perfect C shape shim.... line this up under the above dove tail and tap in with the sight.
There is both just enough shim & sping to hold the sight very snug...

when planets align...do the deal !

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2012, 12:48:57 PM »
Great tip!  Thanks!

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 445
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2012, 06:41:57 PM »
you are most welcome... Sir
when planets align...do the deal !

Offline Rowdy Fulcher

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 10
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2012, 08:29:07 PM »
Howdy
I put a Rocky Mountain Front sight on my 1873 . I used the brass blade it works good for me . Track of the Wolf will take care of you .

Offline Pancho Peacemaker

• NCOWS Texican Senator
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #3120, SASS #75813
    • Pancho's Videos
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2012, 09:06:38 PM »
A few things I found:

Madis "The Winchester Book" 
p. 197 - "an ivory, copper, or silver bead will be seen on a few front sights" (ref 1873 rifles)
pp. 582-583. Winchester Express sights were a special order.  Lyman listed these as "Jack" sights.

I personally have seen '86 rifle with a very generously sized gold "Jack" sight.  I have not seen such on a 73.  Madis book indicates this could've been a special order item.  I do know Lyman offered the "Jack" sight in at least two sizes.

One book I would love to add to my library is Stroebel's "Old Gunsights".  I'd bet that book would have a definitive answer to this quandry.  That tome is difficult to find.  Perhaps someone here has a copy.
NRA - Life
NRA-ILA
TSRA - Life
S&W Collectors Association

"A vote is like a rifle: its usefulness depends upon the character of the user."
-T. Roosevelt (1858 - 1919)

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2012, 06:56:43 AM »
Thanks, Rowdy. I may go that route but now that I've started investigating my curiosity is driving me for an answer.
And Pancho, thanks for the excellent advice.  I'm always amazed at the depth of knowledge here (it's one of the best things about NCOWS).

I tracked down Stroebel's latest book, "Old Gunsights And Rifle Scopes: Identification and Price Guide." Apparently it combines information from his previous books and adds new. It's about $25, so I can't buy it right now. But I might later.
http://www.amazon.com/Old-Gunsights-Rifle-Scopes-Identification/dp/0896896986/ref=la_B001KIM2O8_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1345722005&sr=1-1

However, I tracked down a Nick Stroebel who sells vintage and repro (mostly black powder) gun stuff on ebay and sent him a question about the beads. Hopefully it's the right Nick, and he'll reply.

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2012, 10:39:37 AM »
Fast response from Nick:

"Hi JD, Yes I am the author of the books you mention. The size and diameters varied on each individual sight but the standard sizes normally offered were 1/16" 3/32" and 1/8" and bead colors were gold, silver, black and red, for as long as you care to go back gunsite history. Hope that helps. nick"

So, it would seem the 1/8" is close enough to the smaller Grabber to make it correct (especially considering machining and manufacturing tolerances, and especially on the custom sights).

Offline Pancho Peacemaker

• NCOWS Texican Senator
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #3120, SASS #75813
    • Pancho's Videos
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2012, 01:43:47 PM »
Great find.  Nothing like chatting with a knowledgeable author.

I did find a picture of a pre-1900 Lyman "Jack" with a big bead. It's mounted on a Savage rifle:

NRA - Life
NRA-ILA
TSRA - Life
S&W Collectors Association

"A vote is like a rifle: its usefulness depends upon the character of the user."
-T. Roosevelt (1858 - 1919)

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2012, 03:26:08 PM »
Doesn't look like they've changed at all. Of course, ain't any reason to change. Don't fix it if it ain't broke...

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com