Author Topic: How to Authentically Carry Shotgun Rounds  (Read 8683 times)

Offline Mr. D

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
How to Authentically Carry Shotgun Rounds
« on: July 10, 2012, 02:00:43 PM »
Hello! I've recently started CAS and I enjoy it very much. I like the focus on the shooting that is there in CAS. Here is my question: I am trying to put together a historically-accurate working cowboy outfit (well, except for the second pistol...) and I am wondering how to carry my shotgun ammo. I realize belt slides are SASS legal, but I would prefer to be as period correct (1890's) as possible. How do you NCOWS guys and gals carry your shotgun ammo?

Thanks a lot!

~D

Offline OklaTom

• NCOWS Judge, NCOWS Life 172, GAF 719, SASS 73114, NRA Life, TSRA, Berger Sharp Shooters, Blue River Regulators, Kansas Vigilance Committee
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Bryan Buck
    • 3B Shooting Supply
  • SASS #: 73114
  • NCOWS #: L-172
  • GAF #: 719
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 66
Re: How to Authentically Carry Shotgun Rounds
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2012, 02:31:29 PM »
Hello! I've recently started CAS and I enjoy it very much. I like the focus on the shooting that is there in CAS. Here is my question: I am trying to put together a historically-accurate working cowboy outfit (well, except for the second pistol...) and I am wondering how to carry my shotgun ammo. I realize belt slides are SASS legal, but I would prefer to be as period correct (1890's) as possible. How do you NCOWS guys and gals carry your shotgun ammo?

Thanks a lot!

~D

In NCOWS, the shotgun slides are not allowed, as there is not historical basis for them.  That being said, there are a number of ways to carry shot shells and still be "in the period".  First, you can use a shotgun shell belt.  They can be of leather or canvas (I have both), but they have to have individual loops for each shell.  Here is an example of a leather one:
http://westernandwildlifewonders.com/shop/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=3_44&products_id=147
Here is an example of a canvas one:
http://www.cimarron-firearms.com/GunLeather/CanvCartBelt.htm

Another way to carry them is a bandolier.  When I want to use this style, I use one of the canvas ones that I bought in a size 48.  However, there are makers out there selling them, for example
http://www.kirkpatrickleather.com/accessories/bandolier-64

We have some find leather makers in NCOWS that can probably make to order for you.  Cliff Fendley here jumps to mind because I have met him and seen his top notch work.  I know there are many others in NCOWS.

Sometimes I want to do it as a forager might, and use a small canvas haversack I just dump a box in and wear it over my shoulder.  I use this one and it comfortable holds up to two boxes of 12 Ga.
http://www.riverjunction.com/Tote-Bag-Shooting-Bag_p_509.html

Finally, sometimes my old brain fails and I forget to bring any of the above.  In that case, I just stick however many shells I need for a stage in my vest pocket.

"I druther have a pocket full of rocks than an empty gun..."

OklaTom@att.net

Offline Pancho Peacemaker

• NCOWS Texican Senator
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #3120, SASS #75813
    • Pancho's Videos
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2012, 04:52:33 PM »
I use either a period canvas belt or a vest pocket as noted by Ok Tom above.  I do occasioanlly wear a bandoleer.  It does look good, but is heavy and cumbersome to load from.  Vest pocket is my favorite.

Please also note:  You mentioned "working cowboy:.  The NCOWS' Working Cowboy shooting class only shoots a rifle and revolver.  No need to worry about the shotgun or shells in that class.
NRA - Life
NRA-ILA
TSRA - Life
S&W Collectors Association

"A vote is like a rifle: its usefulness depends upon the character of the user."
-T. Roosevelt (1858 - 1919)

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 08:23:50 PM »

Offline Mr. D

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2012, 09:32:11 AM »
Thanks for your replies, guys!

Pancho, I'm shooting SASS, not NCOWS, and there is no "Working Cowboy" class in SASS. The decision to go period correct is mine, not rules.

The nearest NCOWS group that I can find is about three hours away! Besides, I like the focus on shooting in SASS. Not that I'm trying to talk down NCOWS. If I ever give up Civil War reenacting, I might switch to NCOWS (if, by that time, I can find something a little closer), but I just don't have the time to devote to NCOWS (which is essentially cowboy reenacting, the way I understand it) and CW reenacting. Right now, all I want is a day to dress up cowboy and go shoot. SASS fills that niche for me very nicely.

Thanks again!

~D

Offline Tascosa Joe

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 2770
  • NCOWS #: L-168
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 11
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2012, 10:48:13 AM »
For most NCOWS groups it is a day to dress cowboy and go shoot.  Some clubs regularly schedule 2 day shoots and have a primative camp but most it is a shoot similiar to SASS, but more period correct weapons, clothing, and the targets are not close.  I have no clue where you live, but I too travel to shoot.  My home club is about almost 2 hrs from home, the other club with which I shoot is in SC which is about 24 hours away.  LOL
NRA Life, TSRA Life, NCOWS  Life

Offline Deadeye Don

• SASS # 76281
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • DeadeyeDon
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2012, 10:51:38 AM »
Mr. D,
I am not sure what you have heard about NCOWS, but to say that you like SASS because of the focus on shooting doesn't make much sense to me.  We have matches just like SASS with real guns and everything.  We just do it more period correct.  Your description of what you like about CAS sounds alot more like NCOWS than it does SASS. Oh, and not all of us are "cowboys" either.  Sorry, but to say that NCOWS is cowboy reenacting is simply not an accurate statement.  
Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company

Offline Mr. D

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2012, 11:21:44 AM »
Deadeye Don,

That's good to know - I guess I was mistaken. I got that impression from reading quotes like this one:
SASS got it's start from some IPSC shooters who wanted to shoot IPSC with cowboy guns.  NCOWS came from Buckskinning and reenacting where the main idea is authentic dress and gear. Source: http://www.cascity.com/forumhall/index.php/topic,1414.msg13059.html#msg13059
However, it seems that I had the wrong impression - thanks for correcting me.

I'm in PA, which means that I was wrong again: it's way more than three hours to the nearest NCOWS shoot. According to the NCOWS website, the nearest two are both two states away!

~D

Offline Deadeye Don

• SASS # 76281
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • DeadeyeDon
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2012, 12:35:08 PM »
While historically, that may be true as I was not around NCOWS then, but that information you got was from a thread in 2004.  Shooting is as big a part of what we do as in SASS, but we just do the whole experience with more historical accuracy.

Also, you should know there is a national NCOWS match in June in Evansville, Indiana that you might be interested in.  We would all love for you to come on over and shoot with us then.  That would be the place you can really get a realistic feel for what we do, including putting alot of rounds down range.   ;D
Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 445
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2012, 04:26:23 PM »
Thanks for your replies, guys!

Pancho, I'm shooting SASS, not NCOWS, and there is no "Working Cowboy" class in SASS. The decision to go period correct is mine, not rules.

The nearest NCOWS group that I can find is about three hours away! Besides, I like the focus on shooting in SASS. Not that I'm trying to talk down NCOWS. If I ever give up Civil War reenacting, I might switch to NCOWS (if, by that time, I can find something a little closer), but I just don't have the time to devote to NCOWS (which is essentially cowboy reenacting, the way I understand it) and CW reenacting. Right now, all I want is a day to dress up cowboy and go shoot. SASS fills that niche for me very nicely.

Thanks again!

~D

I can relate.... I reencated Mounted Cavalry, a mighty long time (near 30 years)
 stumbled on to SASS about 20 years ago, Like you I struggled to find the time to do both... so SASS took a back seat.

When I hung up my saber, I gave SASS a full try,  it was Fun  :) 
Frankly, I perfer the NCOWS mindset , But NCOWS had no posse' in Florida

It took some doing,  it did ! ...But with some help...I fixed that issue.... :D

I think with your reenacting exposure, you may very well come to that same opinion.   

when planets align...do the deal !

Offline Daniel Nighteyes

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2012, 01:55:05 PM »
And, you can always shoot SASS (or Western 3-Gun) with an NCOWS state of mind.  That's what I do.  Of course, I also employ a rascally gun cart...  ::)  ;D  ;)

I have tried carrying shotgun shells in my vest pockets.  Sometimes it works; sometimes it doesn't.  It depends on how many vest pockets you have.

The way I use 'em, four pockets equals eight shells --  more than enough for most stages.  Two pockets equals four shells, which generally means that you can't afford to miss.

Offline Mr. D

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2012, 04:20:52 PM »
Daniel, that is what I am currently doing (for the most part) and it is still a lot of fun. Maybe some day I'll start an NCOWS posse, but until then...

~D

Offline Sir Charles deMouton-Black

• THE ANCIENT SUBSTANCE ENDURES - ALL LESSER PROPELLANTS SHALL FIZZLE
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 411
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2012, 05:46:03 PM »
Daniel, that is what I am currently doing (for the most part) and it is still a lot of fun. Maybe some day I'll start an NCOWS posse, but until then...

~D

Is the Cracker Cow Cavalry to far from you?

http://www.ncows.org/Posses/CCC.html
NCOWS #1154, SCORRS, STORM, BROW, 1860 Henry, Dirty Rat 502, CHINOOK COUNTRY
THE SUBLYME & HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT (SHOTS)
Those who are no longer ignorant of History may relive it,
without the Blood, Sweat, and Tears.
With apologies to George Santayana & W. S. Churchill

"As Mark Twain once put it, “History doesn’t repeat itself, but it does rhyme.”

Offline Mr. D

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2012, 05:54:49 PM »
Yeah, I live in PA. A drive to FL every other month won't work for me at this time.

Offline Major 2

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2012, 09:10:06 PM »
Yeah, I live in PA. A drive to FL every other month won't work for me at this time.

Yep that's a hike   :)

You're way closer to Indy and the Great Lakes Freight & Mining Co  or just a tad further Scarlet Mask Vigilance Society.

But should you travel this way to beat the Snow some time, you have an open invitation
 and on the way you could stop in Colombia SC and shoot with The Saluda Saddle Tramps.

And should to take up the mantle to start an NCOWS posse  ;)................ 

Offline Sir Charles deMouton-Black

• THE ANCIENT SUBSTANCE ENDURES - ALL LESSER PROPELLANTS SHALL FIZZLE
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 411
« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2012, 10:54:31 PM »
Sorry Mr. D;  It was Major2 that mentioned Florida, not you.  I knew someone had mentioned it :-[
NCOWS #1154, SCORRS, STORM, BROW, 1860 Henry, Dirty Rat 502, CHINOOK COUNTRY
THE SUBLYME & HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT (SHOTS)
Those who are no longer ignorant of History may relive it,
without the Blood, Sweat, and Tears.
With apologies to George Santayana & W. S. Churchill

"As Mark Twain once put it, “History doesn’t repeat itself, but it does rhyme.”

Offline Major 2

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2012, 04:27:28 AM »
Sorry Mr. D;  It was Major2 that mentioned Florida, not you.  I knew someone had mentioned it :-[

Charles....
thank you kindly for the plug  :)

Offline Mr. D

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: July 13, 2012, 07:47:33 AM »
Hey, thanks a lot, guys! You're making me think of taking a shooting vacation. East Coast from PA to FL, stopping at NCOWS meets on the way down. :)

Anyway, I'll have to look into starting one sometime, but right now is just not a good time for me.

~D

Offline Cash Creek

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • In GOD we trust..all others cash only..
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: July 16, 2012, 12:25:42 AM »
Been reading this with interest because I also need away to carry my shotgun shells..What if I just make loops and sew them on my suspenders I'm sure some of the backwoods guys in West Virginia around the Hatfield's and McCoy's had them.. CA$H  ;D
Hiram Ranger #100, Westside Sportsmen Club, NCOWS 3395, SASS 90169, NRA, Col. Bishop's Renegades... Cowgirls are like barbed wire…handle with care.

Offline St. George

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS , GAF, B.O.L.D., Order of St. George, SOCOM,
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: July 16, 2012, 09:36:27 AM »
If you can reference an actual example, you're fine - if not...

Vest pockets were most common, unless one was a hunter - then a small bag or one of the late-production Mills belts would've been seen.

Given that men wore vests pretty continuously up until the '30's - a vest pocket would've been common to them, and second nature to use for pretty much everything.

Scouts Out!
"It Wasn't Cowboys and Ponies - It Was Horses and Men.
It Wasn't Schoolboys and Ladies - It Was Cowtowns and Sin..."

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com