Author Topic: Really dumb!  (Read 2823 times)

Offline Slowhand Bob

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Really dumb!
« on: June 20, 2012, 07:25:10 AM »
I have done some dumb things before but NOW my addiction is carrying me beyond reasonable!  If I get my way I could end up with a fortune tied up in a pair of Pietta open tops but they would be my dream set.  Been pricing all the parts but have not talked seriously with a gunsmith yet and this is definitely going to be an outside job.  If it comes off I would have a pair of Kirst converted Navy .45cal US Marshall Models with bird head grips.  It will take a bit to gather many of the parts but I plan to order one set of the bird head backstraps and wood before weeks end and perhaps get a second set next month, provided all are in stock?  The down side here is that they are not offered in brass but only come in unfinished steel.  Though I would have preferred brass, like the original back strap, I figure polished steal would blend in well enuff. 

The biggest down side is that these are also my favorite pair of cap and ball guns and as soon as the big money project is over I will want a new pair for Frontiersman!  Whats that old saying concerning "he who dies with the most toys"?   

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 132
Re: Really dumb!
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2012, 06:12:39 PM »

Bob,

If you are talking about the "Thunderer" grip frame with the hump on the back, those may be available from EMF, in stainless, with wood.  Plain steel is OK but takes a lot, of polishing to match the finish of the "Sherriffs model you have.

Coffinmaker

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2012, 06:14:05 PM »

Forgot.  A reason to get more guns is NEVER dumb ;D

Coffinmaker

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 06:25:23 PM »

Offline Slowhand Bob

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2012, 07:58:10 PM »
VTI lists the bird head grip parts for the GWll and a couple of fokes have told me those will fit the Pietta Navy frame??  I do plan to get an understanding from VTI that will allow them to be returned if they do not interchange.  Got your email and will try the guy you recommended to see what his price will be to do the work.  As to the finish, the Kirst parts will need to be polished also and perfect matches may be hard to come by.  The up side is that if the opportunity for used Kirst parts presents itself, blemishes would not be a big thing since everything would get polished anyway.

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2012, 01:05:25 PM »

Fit your "Navy" frame?? Yes.  All the critical mating surfaces and screw holes will match.  HOWEVER the dimensions of the trigger guard and grip frame may be "proud" of the main frame.  You may have to sand a little material off the sides of the new parts to achieve a really nice fit.
You'll need a thick piece of tempered glass, or a flat ground iron table saw table, some 220, 400, 800 and 1000 grit wet or dry and spray contact adhesive for the job.

I'll send you 'nother e-mail ;D

Coffinmaker

Offline Slowhand Bob

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2012, 05:26:01 PM »
I will respond to your email in combination here, so as to possibly invoke others thoughts and ideas.  Yes I had one of the Kirst guys, specifically the one you mention, in mind at the outset as I have received some help from one of them in the past and figured they would be the experts on that product.  I have a set of short barl '58 Rems done Kirst style without the gates and even have a dozen c&b cylinders to allow going either way  :).  The Pietta Marshalls will be a one way conversion though, as I plan to add another pair back to the safe for cap-n-ball use the next time Cabellas runs a good sale on them.

On the grip style, I am talking the birds head grip style and not the hump back Thunderer style.  It would not be the first time a non available product was listed BUT VTI shows unfinished birds head grip parts available in the Pietta line-up under the Great Western ll.  I would much prefer staying with a brass backstrap and have seen where HH has done several in the Birds Head configuration BUT think the hand work (welding?) would be far more expensive than a factory made steel part??  The more I run the figures the more it looks like the mods will cost more than Cimmaron Conversions!  I really need to talk with Hoof Hearted I guess, so will try to get in touch with him before making any expensive mistakes.

As soon as I finish putting together that last batch of holsters I will send you a picture to choose from.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com