Author Topic: It's early understand  (Read 9916 times)

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 437
It's early understand
« on: April 05, 2012, 05:18:13 AM »
It's early understand  ::)

Anyway, this morning I'm looking a the website (NCOWS) and I see
Irish Dave's thread  " A Quick reference at NCOWS Classes "

I've seen it before and even cut & pasted it for new shooters to Cracker Cow Cavalry....

So here is the blanket head moment  ;D

I'm scanning and though I saw  " A quick reference at NCOWS Glasses"  ::)  
alright I say's to myself....

"we have weighed in on a subject , NCOWS approved safety eyeware !  ''

OK ! I miss read it , saw it clearly just misread  ???

But it does, bring to mind the quest , to have BOTH safety eyewear and be more PC in their design.
The subjects been brought up before,

I'd like to see (no pun intended) the move away from the yellow lens bubble molded wrap-a-rounds.

Side protection is still paramount , so side shields are a must in my opinion....

So my idea is to start a list of sources for styles ( not that there would be a disapproved list on eyewear )
just a list of more Period Correct safety eyewear....

anybody agree ?

HERE IS A START

http://www.northernsafety.com/Product/103-23792/N-Specs-Safety-Eyewear-Premium-PVC-Slip-On-Safety-Side-Shields-for-Eyeglasses

http://www.abcsafetyglasses.com/b26uneyesh.html
when planets align...do the deal !

Offline Steel Horse Bailey

• Jeff "Steel Horse Bailey" - BP Warthog & C&B Shooter
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • A Master of the Sublime & Holy Order or the Soot
  • SASS #: 27463
  • NCOWS #: 1919
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: It's early understand
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2012, 06:03:37 AM »
It seems like a simple subject, right?

I applaud your attempt at getting one more detail closer to authentic.  However, I don't think it's practical or even smart to make it a RULE.  Whatever the shooter feels is safe for themselves might be best.  We already have a reputation (undeserved) for being Stitch Nazis; let's not get into a "legislation war" on every single detail.  I can only imagine the few naysayers who spread their version of NCOWS doctrine: 

"Those ...holes even make you wear certain safety glasses!  What's next?  They'll make a rule saying that the car or truck you drive to the match has to be at least 25 years old!"

Extreme?  Yep!
Unrealistic?  Maybe not so much. 

AS to the links you provided for those of us "faithful" - the 2nd link ESPECIALLY is very helpful.  I've often wondered if side shields were available on their own, but never looked into it.

I think there's no doubt that the "yellow lens bubble wrap arounds" (or any other color) ARE more safe than about ANY thing you could do to a more PC style of glasses, side shields or not.  Personally, since my eyes are about the ONLY part of my own body that hasn't gone to pieces, I don't want to jeopardize them in any way!

"May Your Powder always be Dry and Black; Your Smoke always White; and Your Flames Always Light the Way to Eternal Shooting Fulfillment !"

Online Mogorilla

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3306
  • GAF #: 883
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 108
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2012, 07:04:05 AM »
I am a safety officer at work.  You can find a wide selection of safety frames now, lenscrafter and wallmart.   They aren't cheap, but neither is a white cane and a guide dog.  They come ith sideshields, but I find the employees often forget them, so make sure to ask.  I find when I ask, I often get extra and I keep them in my desk for the inevitable person who did not ask.   Frames are important as well as lens, so old frames might not be ideal.   Just my $0.02

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 07:13:12 PM »

Offline Tascosa Joe

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 2770
  • NCOWS #: L-168
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 11
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2012, 08:23:01 AM »
Sometime back Ottawa Creek Bill found safety glass at WalMart that he liked as they looked pretty good.  I dont remember which thread they were on. 
NRA Life, TSRA Life, NCOWS  Life

Offline Pancho Peacemaker

• NCOWS Texican Senator
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #3120, SASS #75813
    • Pancho's Videos
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2012, 08:34:36 AM »
I am one that wears the yellow lens bubble molded wrap-a-rounds.  Mine are Wiley-X polycarb prescription lenses.  My son Trevor wears the same.

I've had my current pair for 6 years and I've lost count how many times these glasses have saved my eyes from debris.  I've shot in many different shooting disciplines and I must say that WAS is probably the one shooting sport that has presented the most potential hazard to my eyes.  The usual culprit is the cylinder gap on some of the vintage revolvers.  When acting as TO/RO, I stand to the right flank of the shooter.  It is not uncommon to get a pelting of ignition debris blown toward my face, neck, and chest.  The other big culprit is shotgun splash back.  Trevor had a shotgun BB take a nick out of the frame of his safety glasses last summer.

We wear our non-authentic eye protection while on the line, and only then.  

This is one issue where I'd side more with safety rather than authenticity.
NRA - Life
NRA-ILA
TSRA - Life
S&W Collectors Association

"A vote is like a rifle: its usefulness depends upon the character of the user."
-T. Roosevelt (1858 - 1919)

• NCOWS Texican Senator
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Pancho's Videos
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2012, 09:10:30 AM »
Sometime back Ottawa Creek Bill found safety glass at WalMart that he liked as they looked pretty good.  I dont remember which thread they were on. 

Here's Bill's thread from back in '08:

http://www.cascity.com/forumhall/index.php/topic,21382.0.html
NRA - Life
NRA-ILA
TSRA - Life

"A vote is like a rifle: its usefulness depends upon the character of the user."

Offline Major 2

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2012, 09:40:54 AM »
Sorry if I came off as attempting to Initiate a rule... that was not my intention

hence my statement ....
"But it does, bring to mind the quest , to have BOTH safety eyewear and be more PC in their design. "
The subject has been brought up before....

I agree with Jeff when he said....
" I don't think it's practical or even smart to make it a RULE.  Whatever the shooter feels is safe for themselves "

I have Safety Glasses  (polycarbonate wraparound style) these have bifocal magnifers molded in,
They carry 1.0. 1.5  all the way to 3.0 if need be.

But they are modern  :-X

I , there for have two pair of wire frame safety glasses with the side wings ( one in clear the other in smoke ) these are
more PC and very good...these were the style OCB found.

http://www.shadowsofthewest.com/auction_details.php?name=RETROSTYLE-COWBOY-ACTION-SHOOTINGSAFETY-GLASSES--CLEAR&auction_id=100936

Both above styles are very helpful .... Chose whatever you feel is safe with.

Offline Major 2

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2012, 10:03:13 AM »
I refered to the OCB thread..and if you notice I was involved in the discussion back then.

one thing that stood out was ...

a wise man said ...

Been following along and reading this thread. Truth is, I believe this is just one of those situations where "cultures clash," so to speak.

There is a legitimate concern over safety and eye protection.
There is a legitimate concern over authenticity.

Sadly, most of the items that appear authentic lack adequate protection and most of the items that provide adequate protection aren't authentic.

I don't think we're going to find much "middle ground" on which compromise when it comes to eyewear. True, some can afford custom eyewear that may be both period looking and protective. Some may be able to find/create the "shooter's goggles" that some have posted. Others still may be able to make/acquire side shields that will fill the bill along with their regular period-type eyewear.

From where I sit, the compromise is simply in the matter of when and where, IMHO.

On the line: Use what eyewear you believe is necessary to protect your eyesight -- after all, they're YOUR eyes. I don't believe NCOWS has any business mandating what one can or cannot wear at the line when it comes to protecting their eyesight. That should go for shooters (at or near the line), stage workers and anyone else with reason to be in the shooting bay areas.
"

Offline Books OToole

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Michael Tatham
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 91
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2012, 10:51:46 AM »
If you read all of the OCB thread you will see my arrguments regarding eye safety.    ie:

All of the documentable authentic eye protection options do not meet OSHA standards.

My compromise is to use crystal clear, modern safety glasses.  They are almost (sorta) invisable.

Books
G.I.L.S.

K.V.C.
N.C.O.W.S. 2279 - Senator
Hiram's Rangers C-3
G.A.F. 415
S.F.T.A.

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2012, 11:26:20 AM »
Major Roger Twice:  Howdy!

Good stuff here, pard.  I think most of us understand that you weren't calling for a new rule.  I simply said what I did to emphasize what SOME lesser individuals would "say," regarding NCOWS and the way we do things.

I think I have the same specs (modern safety glass/poly w/ side shields) as you linked to.  They aren't authentic in their size or any other details but they are a good compromise.  Unlike Pancho, I've only had one time when I got some lead (or whatever) bounced off of my safety glasses, but it scared the b-jeebers out of me because it left a greasy spot on the lens ... and it hit dead-center where it would've done the most harm!  Fortunately, it didn't even leave a mark on the lens (permanently) but had I not already been a believer in the things it would have been awful!

What Books wrote also points out what the problem is - nothing OLD will pass modern safety standards ... and I like the new technology in most instances.  I just like to PLAY Olde West and shoot old-style guns with BP ammo!  I might have to get another set of the ones you linked to, M2 - with the smoked lenses.  And the price is better than what I paid, too.

"May Your Powder always be Dry and Black; Your Smoke always White; and Your Flames Always Light the Way to Eternal Shooting Fulfillment !"

• NCOWS Texican Senator
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Pancho's Videos
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2012, 11:53:54 AM »
If you read all of the OCB thread you will see my arrguments regarding eye safety.    ie:

All of the documentable authentic eye protection options do not meet OSHA standards.

My compromise is to use crystal clear, modern safety glasses.  They are almost (sorta) invisable.

Books

One other simple fact that I've observed:

Documented primary source period pictures of Old West gunfighters wearing corrective lenses = zero

Number of contemporary WAS shooters who wear protective eye wear = 100%

Even looking back at documented shooting matches of the period, you see no eyewear.  This is a picture from the Bisley Range in England around 1900:

So if we want to be truely PC, we should wear NO eye protection.  (For the humor-impaired, that was said in jest.)
NRA - Life
NRA-ILA
TSRA - Life

Offline Tascosa Joe

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 2770
  • NCOWS #: L-168
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 11
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2012, 01:21:15 PM »
I think that might be the Regimental Sergeant Major standing on the kids right.  He is armed with a swaggar stick to beat the young man senseless if he misses, LOL.  I dont think Biscuit would put up with that. 
NRA Life, TSRA Life, NCOWS  Life

Offline Major 2

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2012, 03:30:38 PM »
I find the umbrellas on the chairs interesting.....

• NCOWS Texican Senator
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Pancho's Videos
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2012, 03:47:03 PM »
This is supposed to be a trap shooting match near Boston, circ. 1890's.

Neat hats and shotguns.  I think I see at least one Winchester or Spencer pump in the groups.

Again, no eye protection.

NRA - Life
NRA-ILA
TSRA - Life

Offline pony express

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2012, 05:45:33 PM »
Of course, they probably were't shooting steel at 10 yards or less with those shotguns, either. I've "made do" for a long time with just regular glasses, and some of those "over glasses" sunglasses.But due to shotgun targets creeping in, I'm planning on getting some of the polycarbonate wrap arounds with perscription inserts soon.

Offline Ima Sure Shot

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2012, 06:00:33 PM »
Safety trumps looks every time.   All goggles, shooting glasses, glasses, "shades" used on the firing line should be ANSI approved.  ANSI approved lenses may only be inserted into certian frames.   I posted a website,"antiquespectales.com" back when this came up before.  There are some blue tinted goggles with side sheilds shown under famous people that belonged to the Artic Explorer and Rear Admiral in the British Royal Navy-Sir John Franklin(1786-1847). Also some large yellow tinted lens glasses that belonged to Monet that resemble modern shooting glasses. Celeste

Offline Cash Creek

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • In GOD we trust..all others cash only..
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2012, 08:42:07 PM »
Pancho: What about the umbrella can I use one on my chair at the National ?? it sure would be nice to have a little shade..  ;D
Hiram Ranger #100, Westside Sportsmen Club, NCOWS 3395, SASS 90169, NRA, Col. Bishop's Renegades... Cowgirls are like barbed wire…handle with care.

• NCOWS Texican Senator
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Pancho's Videos
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2012, 07:42:10 AM »
Pancho: What about the umbrella can I use one on my chair at the National ?? it sure would be nice to have a little shade..  ;D

As long as you refer to it as a "bumbershoot".

NRA - Life
NRA-ILA
TSRA - Life

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2012, 10:31:49 AM »
As long as you refer to it as a "bumbershoot".

Or "brolly."

And it'd better e made of treated cloth with bamboo "spreaders."

or Not!

;D

Believe it or don't, I have seen some made just like that the last time I was in Scotland visiting my "in-Laws."  They were definitely "old style" - which for an umbrella actually goes back.  There is a drawing dated 1815 that shows one, remarkably like the modern versions, 'tho I doubt it was the "folding" type.  It was pictured being held over the King's bald head and this King was a Persian King, form nearly two thousand years ago.

Here's a Wiki article on them:   http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Umbrella

And before anyone says how IN-accurate Wiki CAN be, remember that probably 95% of the info found there is good information and can be used for casual reference ... like here.

;)

Offline Cash Creek

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • In GOD we trust..all others cash only..
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: April 06, 2012, 12:55:11 PM »
Does my wife have to be a member of NCOWS to stand and hold the umbrella over me while I shoot   ??? ???
Hiram Ranger #100, Westside Sportsmen Club, NCOWS 3395, SASS 90169, NRA, Col. Bishop's Renegades... Cowgirls are like barbed wire…handle with care.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com