Author Topic: 51 Navy Conversion, what to do with the loading lever hook.  (Read 2522 times)

Offline swampyankee

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
51 Navy Conversion, what to do with the loading lever hook.
« on: March 31, 2012, 03:48:18 PM »
 I've gone the full measure in converting my 51 Navy to include adding the ejector rod (Kirst). Now I have that little hook hanging off the end of my barrel with nothing to do. I'm considering cutting it off and reblueing the resulting white metal, that way it won't go from a hook to a slot. I'm just wondering what others might have done and if anyone might know of someone selling a replacement filler for those who might want to drift the original piece out.

Offline swampman

• blacksmith mechanic
  • Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
Re: 51 Navy Conversion, what to do with the loading lever hook.
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2012, 04:50:48 PM »
I've gone the full measure in converting my 51 Navy to include adding the ejector rod (Kirst). Now I have that little hook hanging off the end of my barrel with nothing to do. I'm considering cutting it off and reblueing the resulting white metal, that way it won't go from a hook to a slot. I'm just wondering what others might have done and if anyone might know of someone selling a replacement filler for those who might want to drift the original piece out.

On my '51 Navy that is presently over at Hoof's place having the ring and cylinder fitted, I just cut the hook off almost flush with the barrel and worked it down with a hand file. the parting lines are still visible, but that's the look I was going for, a blacksmith conversion look. The only drawback is you will need to refinish the barrel. This wasn't an issue with me as I was removing the Italian markings anyways and the whole gun will be nickle plated in the end. I'm not aware of anyone making a ready-made filler piece. I found it easier to just modify what was there. 5 minutes with a Dremel and about 45 minutes to dress it down with the file. Then polished the flats to 1200 grit, which took a bit longer. Hoof should be getting to mine soon, maybe he'll post some pics and you can see how it turned out.

A lot of what is taken for engineering fact, if you dig into it far enough, is often just someone's opinion.

Offline swampyankee

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2012, 07:05:37 PM »
 Off the topic some, could you explain what you meant by having the ring and cylinder fitted?

Always like to see pictures.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 06:46:52 PM »

Offline swampman

• blacksmith mechanic
  • Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2012, 11:20:06 PM »
Off the topic some, could you explain what you meant by having the ring and cylinder fitted?

Always like to see pictures.

I bought a R&D cylinder and gated ring for the build because I like the way the ring is actually secured to the frame with screws. Also R&D is the only maker that has the engraved cylinder. Since I'll be having the gun nickeled, the cylinder scene will really stand out over leaving the gun blued. I used to have access to a machine shop to do the conversion work, but that is no more and I figured since I've never fitted a conversion before I'd let someone with a bit more experience and the facilities do it. I'm having him fit the ring and cylinder, set the head space, fit a modified Kirst ejector, and tune the action.

As for pics, I don't have any yet. But Hoof should be getting to it shortly and hopefully he'll post some pics. It's a bit on the ugly side right now, it being two-tone. As I said I'd been polishing the barrel and I sent it out with the barrel in the white and the rest still cased and blued.
A lot of what is taken for engineering fact, if you dig into it far enough, is often just someone's opinion.

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 132
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2012, 09:03:37 PM »

Simple.  Cut the barrel even with the ejector assembly and add a new front sight.

Coffinmaker

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com