Author Topic: Conversion holster  (Read 1810 times)

Offline swampman

• blacksmith mechanic
  • Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
Conversion holster
« on: March 14, 2012, 11:17:32 AM »
While I'm waiting for Hoof Hearted to finish up my Navy conversion, I've been trying to locate a certain holster. I saw it in 'Packing Iron', it is a military flap holster with cartridge loops added right below the opening where the flap covers them. Has anyone ever seen a reproduction of this setup? Push comes to shove, I can build it myself, but my leather just never looks as well finished as a factory-made piece.
A lot of what is taken for engineering fact, if you dig into it far enough, is often just someone's opinion.

Offline James Hunt

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Conversion holster
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2012, 12:29:26 PM »
Shown on page 30 of Packing Iron it is attributed to the San Antonio Arsenal 1885 - 1895. It is described as "experimental, right hand design, often credited to Captain James Ropes of the 8th Cavalry Regiment of Fort Ringgold Texas, incorporates the extended belt loop/back skirt reminiscent of the civilian Mexican loop holster. Constructed of black weight bridal leather, it features a full-flap top with strap and finial closure, ten sewn-in cartridge loops at the mouth of the holster beneath the flap, and an extended blet loop.skirt attached to the holster by a single, riveted strap or loop."

It is intended for a Colt SAA or Schofield revolver. Very unusual, sort of neat, but long after any use of a conversion type revolver by the military. I don't know of any commercial maker offering one, but custom makers such as Rick Bachman or Stan Dolgea would probably make one for you.
NCOWS, CMSA, NRA
"The duty is ours, the results are God's." (John Quincy Adams)

Offline swampman

• blacksmith mechanic
  • Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2012, 02:50:00 PM »
I was unsure of the holster's time frame, I just remembered seeing it in 'Packing Iron'. My copy is still packed away from moving so I thought I'd ask. I just thought it'd be an interesting way to pack the pistol and some extra rounds while ATVing or wearing around the homestead without wearing a full on cartridge belt. Looks like I'll have to make a trip over to the Tandy store in Tampa and build my own version. Now if I can just find all my leather tools...
A lot of what is taken for engineering fact, if you dig into it far enough, is often just someone's opinion.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 06:27:06 PM »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com