Author Topic: Pyrodex P: clean enough for indoor ranges? Powder vs Pellets?  (Read 4738 times)

Offline Megabutter

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Pyrodex P: clean enough for indoor ranges? Powder vs Pellets?
« on: February 21, 2012, 04:07:22 PM »
My uncle is giving me a Pietta 1860 Army. So, I'm reading up and very excited.

I've read some about the Pyrodex P. What do you pros think?  And are the pellets any good?  Is it clean enough to se at an indoor range?

Re: Pyrodex P: clean enough for indoor ranges? Powder vs Pellets?
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2012, 04:19:31 PM »
No and No..

Pellets won't give good ignition all the time, in fact Pyrodex is not all that great in any form..IMHO

Too much smoke for an indoor range and you would be kicked out of ours...no BP of any kind allowed ....

Get some genuine BP, 3f if you can and go have fun...

Offline Megabutter

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2012, 08:01:06 PM »
Well, heck.

Probably dumb to ask, but any other suggestions?  I know it's silly, but we do much more indoor range shooting...

Advertising

Offline joec

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2012, 08:29:36 PM »
Well, heck.

Probably dumb to ask, but any other suggestions?  I know it's silly, but we do much more indoor range shooting...

I do at Bud's, which by the way does allow black powder. However they have a state of the art air filtration system to remove all smoke almost instantly. I wouldn't recommend most indoor ranges however as the guy next to you might just forget were the lane starts.  ;D
Joe
NCOWS 3384

Offline Megabutter

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2012, 09:55:51 PM »
Well, I'm still very excited. Guess I'll still need to fork out for the Cimmeron MWNN or other conversion as well!

Offline Slowhand Bob

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2012, 10:24:51 PM »
Is there no outdoor space available for shooters?  I am not real high on Pyrodex either, it seems to have the worst of both worlds when being compared to other subs or real black powder.

Offline Megabutter

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2012, 11:07:34 PM »
Yeah, I'm real close to a spot that does some cowboy shooting.  I hope to jump over there. However, the wife is big on on indoor ranges with her 1911 for whatever reason.  So to keep it a family event (shooting), we do mostly indoor....  ::)

Bummer about pyrodex.  If it sounds too good to be true...  ;)

Offline Slowhand Bob

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2012, 06:30:17 AM »
There are some claiming negatives about APP but I find it to be my favorite sub for black powder shooting BUT I am sure that any indoor range that would refuse real black powder would refuse APP also.  What I find real attractive about APP is that the need for special bullet lubes is eliminated, in fact they recommend no lube, but it tends to be slightly less powerful than real black but thats where Triple 7 can step up, it is slightly more powerful then real black!  I think it was a mistake to have dropped Pinnacle from the Goex line BUT only time will tell.  Goex was my black powder of choice and I was able to mix-match case lots of it with Pinnacle.

Offline Megabutter

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2012, 02:16:57 PM »
B APP do your mean the Pyrodex stuff? Or is that another brand. Please excuse my complete noobishness. I'm brand spanking at cap and ball.

Offline rickk

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: February 29, 2012, 12:11:57 PM »
BP smells like sulfur when it is shot. It smells like a fart but other than that it won't send you ducking for cover if the smoke heads in your direction.

Pyrodex on the other hand has this horrible acidity smoke that most people find intolerable to breathe. Indoors it would really P*** O*** most people if you started shooting it unless the range vent system did not let anything go back at all. There aren't many ranges that work so good that smoke does not come back into the shooting area at least a little.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com