"George Washington" california pattern holster by Gallatin in Packing Iron

Started by G.W. Strong, February 18, 2012, 08:36:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

G.W. Strong

I am very interested in the E.L. Gallatin holster that features the face of our founding father, George Washington, pictured on p. 84 of Packing Iron.

It has the silver toe cap more commonly seen on pommel holsters. I was wondering if anyone has additional photos of it. I am very interested in seeing the suede lining, the back the seam and I am especially curious about the toe cap.

It is my second favorite slim Jim holster in the book. My current favorite is the holster made by Gallatin on the facing page owned by R. M. Bachman. These two holsters really appeal to me.
George Washington "Hopalong" Strong
Grand Army of the Frontier #774, (Bvt.) Colonel commanding the Department of the Missouri.
SASS #91251
Good Guy's Posse & Bristol Plains Pistoleros
NCOWS #3477
Sweetwater Regulators

Cliff Fendley

Those are some very cool holsters. For a long time I've considered making one like the George Washington one but those toe caps are a lot of work. I would like to see more photos of it as well. I would LOVE to see it in person.
http://www.fendleyknives.com/

NCOWS 3345  RATS 576 NRA Life member

Johnson County Rangers

Marshal Will Wingam

On page 8 of the original "Show us yer stuff" thread, Triggersmith used a silver napkin ring for a similar effect.

http://www.cascity.com/forumhall/index.php/topic,228.175.html

Perhaps you could silver solder a cap on a napkin ring or find a small silver shot glass to use for a cap.

SCORRS     SASS     BHR     STORM #446

Major 2

Ray (Triggersmith) and I still colaberate, I think he sold the Walker holster to a fellow in Colo.

I used to both hand make my nose caps, and used napkin rings on the Pommal Holsters I made, back in the day.

I made this one holster w/ cap for my Avenging Angel recently , it gets it's influence from a pair featured in Packing Iron.
But I chose russet & brass, the belt is also similar to the PI pair...I used a Florida brass 6 point star two piece buckel.
when planets align...do the deal !

Cliff Fendley

Isn't the toe closed on the Washington holster? I didn't think that was just a ring.

It appears the cap consists of a cap and ring probably soldered together. Would be easier to make that way. I would love to inspect that holster in person.

If I make one I would use nickle silver like on knife sheaths. High end Bowie knives of the period had German silver fittings and the sheaths were usually capped if not a complete silver outer shell.
http://www.fendleyknives.com/

NCOWS 3345  RATS 576 NRA Life member

Johnson County Rangers

G.W. Strong

I also believe the toe is as Cliff describes it. I would like to see more pics to be sure.
Grand Army of the Frontier #774, (Bvt.) Colonel commanding the Department of the Missouri.
SASS #91251
NCOWS #3477
Sweetwater Regulators

Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

NRA, SASS# 69595, NCOWS#3123 Leather Shop, RATTS# 369, SCORRS, BROW, ROWSS #40   Shoot Straight, Have Fun, That's What It's All About

Marshal Will Wingam

I agree with TW. Nice holster, M2. Yours looks better than the originals that inspired you. 8)

SCORRS     SASS     BHR     STORM #446

Major 2

wow you think ?  thank you both  :)

I'm flattered , have seen your work
when planets align...do the deal !

TwoWalks Baldridge

Major the avenging angel and holster are both outstanding ... 2 thumbs up!!
When guns are banned, fear the man with a hammer

G.W. Strong

is there anyone who has additional pics of the George Washington holster by Gallatin?
SASS #91251
NCOWS #3477
Sweetwater Regulators

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com