Author Topic: Army/Navy Hybrid Conversion ?  (Read 5671 times)

Offline Two-Step

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Army/Navy Hybrid Conversion ?
« on: February 06, 2012, 05:34:44 PM »
I am looking for information relating to the "Colt type" Army or Navy cartridge conversion with either the Thunderer or birdhead grip (aka Mason/Thunderer conversion?).

I know that there are a few people who have these "hybrids" and I am hoping that folks will share details about the use, construction, and part sources for them. I am very interested in building or buying one and any information would be helpful.

Thanks Ya'll
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the outcome of the vote. -Benjamin Franklin

Offline Slowhand Bob

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Re: Army/Navy Hybrid Conversion ?
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2012, 08:04:11 PM »
This might be of some interest to you.  http://www.cascity.com/forumhall/index.php/topic,41851.0.html

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • SASS #: 27489
  • NCOWS #: 3958
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1275
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2012, 08:20:25 PM »
You mean like this one?   Thunderer-Mason Conversions

Both of these Thunderer grip frames came from guns, not just new parts from a bin.  I think that is why they are a perfect fit to the '51 conversion frames.  I have noticed that some new backstraps have been proud of the gun frame when bolted on and would require filing/sanding down to fit, which would then require re-bluing.  That may not always be the case, but it certainly might.  If you change a Model P to a Thunderer, you can keep the original triggerguard and just buy the Thunderer backstrap, but the brass Navy triggerguard will not work, so you will need both a triggerguard and backstrap.  Now, on to the grips.  The pearlite grip came with the gripframe, so it was already perfectly fitted.  The wood grip had been mounted to a gun, but not this particular grip frame.  I had the luxury of picking between several grips to see which one fit the gripframe best, and it is okay.  It fits well to the backstrap and so-so to the frontstrap.  I was considering sanding the grip to get a perfect fit, which would go through the finish and require refinishing.  That's okay, I like an oil finish anyway.  But I actually don't have these grips on the guns any more.  They have been sporting the original Navy gripframes with Tru-Ivory grips.  But I do really like the guns with the Thunderer grips, so I might put them back on now and then.

By the way, I tried putting the Navy gripframe on my Thunderer which gave up its pearlite grips to the conversion, but stopped when the triggerguard would not fit.  The trigger did not fit through the slot in the triggerguard.  The slot would have needed opening up towards the rear, and I didn't want to mess with it since it was going back to the conversion at some point.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 06:52:27 PM »

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 132
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2012, 12:20:37 PM »
Abilene,

Gonna take a lot of sanding and polishing to get all the "scratches" off those guns.  I'd take 'me off tour hands even though it'd be a lot of work  ;D

Coffinmaker

Offline Two-Step

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2012, 02:42:16 PM »
Thanks and everyone please feel free to post any conversion pics and information.
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the outcome of the vote. -Benjamin Franklin

Offline Flint

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2012, 12:01:20 PM »
My Thunderer grips came from VTIgunparts, and fit well.  I do have a spare pair...

Shortest barrel, checking for fit.

R&D conversion cylinders.  72 Opentop ejectors.

Same guns one with different barrel and both with early Kirst gateless conversions.
The man who beats his sword into a plowshare shall farm for the man who did not.

SASS 976, NRA Life
Los Vaqueros and Tombstone Ghost Riders, Tucson/Tombstone, AZ.
Alumnus of Hole in the Wall Gang, Piru, CA, Panorama Sportsman's Club, Sylmar, CA, Ojai Desperados, Ojai, CA, SWPL, Los Angeles, CA

Offline Two-Step

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2012, 04:15:50 PM »
Flint,
Very nice. I particularly like the '72 R&D.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com