2012 National Stages?

Started by J.R. Logan, January 16, 2012, 09:14:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tjackstephens

J.R. Butch and Sundance would be good. The real Wild Bunch, can't wait. Write some good ones. Tj

Could call it Hole in the Wall Gang too.
Texas Jack Stephens:   NRA, NCOWS #2312,  SASS # 12303, Hiram's Ranger #22,  GAF #641, USFA-CSS # 185, BOSS# 174,  Hartford Lodge 675, Johnson County Rangers,  Green River Gunslingers, Col. Bishop's Renegades, Kentucky Col.

Cash Creek

J.R....Make sure you have one where you run up the stairs and shoot off the roof, like they did in the movie Northfield that I watch last night..shoot your rifle off of the roof, then roll off the roof to the ground and use your handgun.  ;D
Hiram Ranger #100, Westside Sportsmen Club, NCOWS 3395, SASS 90169, NRA, Col. Bishop's Renegades... Cowgirls are like barbed wire...handle with care.

Rowdy Fulcher

Texas Jack
That would be the Match Directors call .

Cole Bluesteele

Books,

Saturday evening after 7:00 pm. 

Ted

Pancho Peacemaker

Quote from: Books OToole on January 17, 2012, 10:40:09 AM

Which leads me to the 2012 NCOWS National Side Matches.  Last year at the National Match I discussed a future side-match concept with shooters from posses all over the country.  It was pretty much agreed upon to have diffeent Posses each sponser and over see a side match.

It is time to step up and let me know what you would like to do.

And...

Books
Side Match Coordinator

I spoke with the leadership at The Texas Peacemakers.  They will host a side match called  "The Gambler".  We shot this side match at the SW Regional.  It was popular.  It is designed to test the skills necessary for success in a gambling hall.

Set up:

This should be shot from an enclosed stage, preferably the Saloon/Cantina or the Chapel,  (let us know which is available)

2 large pistol targets at 5 yards.

1 pocket pistol, 1 derringer, 1 fixed blade knife

1 deck of period playing cards (no wild cards)

Start with pocket pistol  and derringer loaded on table/shelf.  Knife on table also.  RO shuffles card deck and place on table.

Shooter remains sitting through the stage.

Shooter yells:  "Give me my damn cards."

At buzzer:

Stab knife into table.  Knife must remain vertical. (Proceedural if knife is not standing at the end of the stage).

Two derringer shots on Target one.

5 PP shots on Target two.

Both guns return to the table.

Shooter then draws top five cards off of the deck:  If a pair or better is drawn, Shooter subtracts 3 seconds from their time.

Shooter will need a derringer (C. Sharps pepper box as an alternative), a pocket pistol (NCOWS regs: 4" or shorter barrel), and a fixed blade knife.   The Peacemakers will provide 'loner' guns & ammo for folks who do not have derringers or pocket pistols.

4 members of the Texas Peacemakers will be in attendance and will RO this stage.
NRA - Life
NRA-ILA
TSRA - Life
S&W Collectors Association

"A vote is like a rifle: its usefulness depends upon the character of the user."
-T. Roosevelt (1858 - 1919)

Dollysdad

"If we use Derringers, that needs better policing on authenticity.  At last year's Nationals, I saw three folks shoot "Bond" derringers for score on the side matches.  That should not be allowed."

Pancho, what derringers are considered ok for NCOWS use? I do not have a Bond but did buy a Cimarron from Oklahoma Tom last year that I enjoy but do not know if it is ok for NCOWS or not.
Thanks,

Pancho Peacemaker

Quote from: Dollysdad on January 23, 2012, 12:24:09 PM
"If we use Derringers, that needs better policing on authenticity.  At last year's Nationals, I saw three folks shoot "Bond" derringers for score on the side matches.  That should not be allowed."

Pancho, what derringers are considered ok for NCOWS use? I do not have a Bond but did buy a Cimarron from Oklahoma Tom last year that I enjoy but do not know if it is ok for NCOWS or not.
Thanks,

Larry,

NCOWS does not have an official delineation of "approved/disapproved" derringers.  To provide one would be difficult in light of what is currently available.  We do have our general firearms covenant which says:

No modern (post 1899) firearms will be allowed unless they are authentic reproductions of traditional firearms or very markedly resemble traditional firearms. Traditional firearms are defined as those manufactured prior to or during the era 1865-1899 and in documented use on the North American Frontier within that time period. Center-fire calibers may substitute for original rim-fire calibers in reproduction firearms. Reproduction firearms chambered in calibers not utilized in original models shall be allowed as long as such calibers are original to the period or are otherwise approved by the National Congress of Old West Shootists.

Currently, no direct reproductions are being made of pre-1900 cartridge derringer designs.  Cobra, Chiappa, & American Derringer all currently make derringers that "somewhat" resemble The Remington model 95 Derringer.

Remington (original pre-1899 derringer):

Chiappa:

Cobra:

American:

The Bond is a very well made firearm, but it's dimensions and silhouette push the envelope on our "very markedly resemble" clause.  You be the judge:

Bond "Cowboy Defender:

Bond "Texas Defender:

This is my opinion, but I just don't think the Bond should be at an NCOWS National event.   (FYI:   I do own a Bond and a Chiappa, so this is not a personal issue.)

Opinions?
NRA - Life
NRA-ILA
TSRA - Life

"A vote is like a rifle: its usefulness depends upon the character of the user."

Tjackstephens

2011 National side matches. Dodge Boy and I ran the pocket pistol, derringers, and speed pistol side matches last year. We had our hands full to say the least. We pretty much trusted those that signed up to shoot the correct equipment. If you saw something that was not right, it should have been brought up THEN! The NCOWS Judge was on the grounds, he could not be every where. However he could have been found. I have also heard that a class winner in the main match shot handgunds that were not approved. The time of the event is the time to get the Judge involved. Tj

Several things were brought up and the Judge addressed those. That is his job and if he is made awear he will check it out. Tj
Texas Jack Stephens:   NRA, NCOWS #2312,  SASS # 12303, Hiram's Ranger #22,  GAF #641, USFA-CSS # 185, BOSS# 174,  Hartford Lodge 675, Johnson County Rangers,  Green River Gunslingers, Col. Bishop's Renegades, Kentucky Col.

Books OToole

Pancho;

Do you guys have any stage requirements, or can I put you any where?

I spoke to Cole Blue Steele Saturday.  I have a call in for Duke Henry.

So far we have:

Stage 1 - Mine Car - Colonel Bishop's Regulators
Stage 2 & 3 (Fort & Gallows) - A team match - Berger Sharpshooters
Stage 4 (Church) - Precision Rifle - Kansas Vigilance Committee
Stage ? (Rosa's Cantina) - Gambler match (Pocket Pistol & derringer) Texas Peacemakers

Books
G.I.L.S.

K.V.C.
N.C.O.W.S. 2279 - Senator
Hiram's Rangers C-3
G.A.F. 415
S.F.T.A.

Pancho Peacemaker

Quote from: Books OToole on January 24, 2012, 09:34:30 AM
Pancho;

Do you guys have any state requirement, or can I put you any where?

I spoke to Cole Blue Steele Saturday.  I have a call in for Duke Henry.

So far we have:

Stage 1 - Mine Car - Colonel Bishop's Regulators
Stage 2 & 3 - A team match - Berger Sharpshooters
Stage 4 - Precision Rifle - Kansas Vigilance Committee

Books

The Gambler would be best shot from the Saloon/Cantina or the Chapel (need some where with a shelf and window to stage pistols).

Pancho
NRA - Life
NRA-ILA
TSRA - Life

Books OToole

I would love to put you in Rosa's Cantina; I can't remember for sure it it has what you need.

Books
G.I.L.S.

K.V.C.
Hiram's Rangers C-3
G.A.F. 415
S.F.T.A.

Pancho Peacemaker

Quote from: Books OToole on January 24, 2012, 09:39:09 AM
I would love to put you in Rosa's Cantina; I can't remember for sure it it has what you need.

Books

It does.  I checked my photos from last Nat'l.  Cantina would be perfect for this side match.
NRA - Life
NRA-ILA
TSRA - Life

Books OToole

Pancho;

Do you remember the stage number for Rosa's?

Books
G.I.L.S.

K.V.C.
Hiram's Rangers C-3
G.A.F. 415
S.F.T.A.

Tjackstephens

Books, There will be some changes made to the cowboy town. I know one is the gallows, not sure what else. Duke should know. By the way it's Col. Bishops Renegades. Tj

Pancho Peacemaker

Quote from: Books OToole on January 24, 2012, 10:06:49 AM
Pancho;

Do you remember the stage number for Rosa's?

Books

No luck there, none of my pictures show a stage number.

NRA - Life
NRA-ILA
TSRA - Life

Books OToole

I have edited the list above to:

So far we have:

Stage 1 - Mine Car - Colonel Bishop's Renegades
Stage 2 & 3 (Fort & Gallows) - A team match - Berger Sharpshooters
Stage 4 (Church) - Precision Rifle - Kansas Vigilance Committee
Stage ? (Rosa's Cantina) - Gambler match (Pocket Pistol & derringer) Texas Peacemakers

Books
G.I.L.S.

K.V.C.
Hiram's Rangers C-3
G.A.F. 415
S.F.T.A.

Pancho Peacemaker

Quote from: Tjackstephens on January 23, 2012, 05:50:58 PM
2011 National side matches. Dodge Boy and I ran the pocket pistol, derringers, and speed pistol side matches last year. We had our hands full to say the least. We pretty much trusted those that signed up to shoot the correct equipment. If you saw something that was not right, it should have been brought up THEN! The NCOWS Judge was on the grounds, he could not be every where. However he could have been found. I have also heard that a class winner in the main match shot handgunds that were not approved. The time of the event is the time to get the Judge involved. Tj

Several things were brought up and the Judge addressed those. That is his job and if he is made awear he will check it out. Tj

Texas Jack:  No dissrespect was ment to you or the other RO's at the last Nat'l.   Ya'll did a fantastic job.   I think some forethought could help us all run an even better Nat'l this year.  Please see this post in the 'secure area': 

http://www.cascity.com/forumhall/index.php/topic,41850.0.html
NRA - Life
NRA-ILA
TSRA - Life

bowiemaker

The 10 stages at the nationals were:
1. Mine Cart
2. Fort
3. Gallows
4. Church
5. Stagecoach
6. Saloon
7. Cantina
8. OK Corral
9. Blacksmith Shop
10. Open

Pictures of each stage here: http://www.jcrangers.com/2011nationals.htm
NCOWS #3405   RATS #612

Tjackstephens

Books, Pretty sure the gallows is in for a rebuild and may be moved. Duke has feet on the ground and should have been in on the planning meeting at West Side. He is the one that can let you know just what is in for a rebuild and will be moved. I do remember he told me the gallows will be rebuilt and some other changes in cowboy town. I will see if I can fine out. Any one that uses two stages for a side match would want them side by side. Will get back with you. Tj

Books OToole

Thanks Bowiemaker, that is helpful.

Jack; I called Duke on Saturday and left a message.

I don't think the Sharpshooters need the Gallows per se, just two stages next to each other.

Books
G.I.L.S.

K.V.C.
Hiram's Rangers C-3
G.A.F. 415
S.F.T.A.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com