Author Topic: Open top help  (Read 22653 times)

Offline Long Johns Wolf

• Top Active Citizen
  • "Centaures will make you become addicted"
    • Belgian Colt, aka Centaure, aka Centennial Army, aka "1960 NEW MODEL ARMY"
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 45
Re: Open top help
« Reply #20 on: November 05, 2011, 03:50:17 AM »
Thanks for the thoughtful & kind offer, Coffinmaker and I am certain that is a well considered decision.
But after I read about this sight blackening I might give her another chance. Particularly since we are now in the darker season of the year here in Europe.
Long Johns Wolf
BOSS 156, CRR 169 (Hon.), FROCS 2, Henry Board, SCORRS, STORM 229, SV Hofheim 1938, VDW, BDS, SASS

Offline RWK

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #21 on: November 05, 2011, 07:46:17 AM »

Dont REAL Cowboys just POINT Shoot anyway?  :o

Offline Mako

• Shooter of the "holy Black", Frontier Gunfighter #1, STORM, Henry 1860
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Cowboying since the Mid-20th Century
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 8
« Reply #22 on: November 05, 2011, 10:18:28 AM »

Dont REAL Cowboys just POINT Shoot anyway?  :o

The ones that died young did.

~Mako
A brace of 1860s, a Yellowboy Saddle Rifle and a '78 Pattern Colt Scattergun
MCA, MCIA, MOAA, MCL, SMAS, ASME, SAME, BMES

Advertising

« Reply #23 on: Today at 06:09:16 PM »

Offline RWK

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: March 07, 2012, 04:29:11 PM »
Update

No news-  except that she doesn't know who told me 4 months because its more like 6 months

Well

I ordered two Army 71/2 open tops 72 38sp and nickel.
They will be here in about 4 months ( we will see)

If I cant see them in the bright sun I will just blacken them with my carbide smoker from my hi-power days

Thanks to all

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 436
« Reply #24 on: March 07, 2012, 05:47:11 PM »
Update

No news-  except that she doesn't know who told me 4 months because its more like 6 months

been there...heard that !   :(   sorry 

when planets align...do the deal !

Offline Bangor Dan

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: March 10, 2012, 07:05:56 PM »
Taylor says 3 to 4 months for nickel (not sure it worth it, its also $90.00 more)the wait. She would be pretty though

They don't have consecutive serial # in 7 1/2 but they do in 8 or 5 1/2 inch. If I get 2

So many decisions on guns I know little about.

Thanks for all the help so far

RWK,
Hope I'm not jinxing you, but it took Taylors 2 years to get my nickeled '72 OpenTop (2009-2011) delivered from Italy. I've found that Cimarron, if they have the base gun in stock, can get it custom nickeled in a couple of months.

Offline Steel Horse Bailey

• Jeff "Steel Horse Bailey" - BP Warthog & C&B Shooter
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • A Master of the Sublime & Holy Order or the Soot
  • SASS #: 27463
  • NCOWS #: 1919
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: March 16, 2012, 12:25:27 PM »
Whatever you decide on is gonna be great!

As someone (River City John I think) pointed out, some of the guns were true 1860 conversions so they kept the same 8" barrel as the C&B guns.  The 1851 that the 38 conversions came from, I'm pretty sure had 7 1/2" barrels.  The (1860) Late issue Army Open top which is called the 1871 by Colt and has 1872 engraved by the wedge  ??? Has the 7 1/2" barrel & the longer Army 1860 grip size.  I'm not sure about the smaller (38) guns made by Uberti on the 1851 design.

Clear as mud, right?

I got an 1871 Open Top last August.  It is the late model - which has the longer Army grip, 7.5" barrel, and is chambered in 44 Special.  This gives me the choice of shooting 4 different rounds:  44 American (not likely because the ammo isn't available), 44 Special of course, 44 Russian - which is a GREAT option and very popular, and the (new type) 44 Colt round (my choice) which isn't much smaller than 44 Special, but is close to authentic of the era.  (Alas, the original 44 Colt is a heel-based round that is actually 45 caliber.)
 :o  ::)

Go figure.

You'll love it.  Major 2 is one of a large group of us who think the 1860 Army (so also the 1861 & 1862 Colt C&B guns are, too) is the prettiest and best-LOOKING   firearm EVER made.  They have those looooonnggg flowing lines and a sleekness not seen on many any other guns I can think of.

"May Your Powder always be Dry and Black; Your Smoke always White; and Your Flames Always Light the Way to Eternal Shooting Fulfillment !"

Offline RWK

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #27 on: August 14, 2012, 03:58:03 PM »
I will pick up two Army 71/2 open tops 72 38sp and nickel on 8/15/12
only took 9 months (lol)  They raised the price 11.00 each

Well

I ordered two Army 71/2 open tops 72 38sp and nickel.
They will be here in about 4 months ( we will see)

If I cant see them in the bright sun I will just blacken them with my carbide smoker from my hi-power days

Thanks to all

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 436
« Reply #28 on: August 14, 2012, 11:36:46 PM »

"You'll love it.  Major 2 is one of a large group of us who think the 1860 Army (so also the 1861 & 1862 Colt C&B guns are, too) is the prettiest and best-LOOKING   firearm EVER made.  They have those looooonnggg flowing lines and a sleekness not seen on many any other guns I can think of."

you can say that again !  :)
when planets align...do the deal !

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #29 on: August 15, 2012, 02:25:54 AM »
See above ...

;)
"May Your Powder always be Dry and Black; Your Smoke always White; and Your Flames Always Light the Way to Eternal Shooting Fulfillment !"

Offline rifle

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #30 on: August 15, 2012, 09:33:42 AM »
Caswell  Industries which sells all manner of metal finish "stuff" sells a home kit for nickle. I've talked to people on other forums in the past that used and succeeded and enjoyed the nickle plate kit. Said it was easy to do. Electroless nickle plate.

Offline theshoer

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #31 on: August 15, 2012, 03:02:12 PM »
Caswell  Industries which sells all manner of metal finish "stuff" sells a home kit for nickle. I've talked to people on other forums in the past that used and succeeded and enjoyed the nickle plate kit. Said it was easy to do. Electroless nickle plate.

I have used that kit, it is a very good kit. I like it very much just make sure you follow all the direction to the T or you will get a bad plate job like i did on some parts I did
I may not be the most important person in your life, but when you hear my name, I hope you smile and say That's My Friend

Offline Mike

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #32 on: August 17, 2012, 10:03:38 PM »
Long Johns that is a mighty fine Centaure Nickle RM. (late in on this thread)
I was offered a 1860 Army not long ago.

Buffalochip

Offline RWK

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #33 on: August 18, 2012, 03:29:25 PM »
These 1872s sure are pretty guns

They have 1871 and 1872 patents on them but have 1871 near wedge
Call Taylor they had some old stock 1872 and new stock that are all marked the same way

Also the are 3 serial # apart.
I could wait another 9mo or keep these.
They apologized told me Uberti does this all the time.

One guy waited 2 years. Then Uberti sent them and they weren't consecutive.

Offline RWK

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #34 on: August 26, 2012, 06:44:44 PM »
Thanks for all the help

Offline Bangor Dan

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #35 on: August 27, 2012, 08:11:29 PM »
Playing the waiting game again for a Cimarron Mod P to be nickeled (in the U.S.). Ordered it through my dealer in February of this year, and stilll waitiing.

Spent my first gun collecting years solely on older military firearms, and wouldn't touch a chromed or nickeled gun then, since it indicated a refinished gun. Now that I'm accumulating cowoy stuff I've found that the nickel finish is very appealing.

Bangor Dan

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #36 on: August 28, 2012, 04:27:16 AM »
I hear ya, pard!

I think you'll be happy you spent $90 on the finish.  When I bought my O/T (like I mentioned in my last post response to you) I decided NOT to pay the $90.  I later found out the name of the place that Cim. sends their guns to when they need nickle.  If YOU (or I) send our guns directly to this place in Florida it'll cost about $200 PLUS shipping, insurance, etc.

That may help make the extra money and time (since Feb) settle a bit better.

I now WISH I'd have decided on waiting for my O/T to get the nickle finish.  I was too anxious to get my new "toy" and didn't want to wait.

But waiting since February DOES seem a bit excessive, since they told you 3-4 months!  So it goes ...

Offline RWK

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #37 on: August 28, 2012, 06:41:19 AM »
Its my understanding that Uberti sends Taylor nickle firearms. and they are nickled at Uberti
I may be wrong with my next statement
But wouldn't Cimarron be considered a refinish

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • SASS #: 27489
  • NCOWS #: 3958
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1275
« Reply #38 on: August 28, 2012, 06:59:03 AM »
Cimarron used to get their nickled guns from Uberti.  They still do get a few from them that way (nickled Cavalry "scout").  But two problems, one being that Uberti's nickle plating is not consistent and sometimes flakes.  Also time.  Cimarron will keep a few nickled guns in stock, like 4 3/4" Model P's for instance, that are very popular.  But with the huge variety of models of guns available, you never know what someone will want nickled and ordering it that way from Uberti can take a long time.  So they started getting the guns nickled at Ford Plating in Florida, a very reputable outfit.  I don't know what Taylor's is doing these days.  I think they still order plated guns from Uberti but they may have started getting some plated in the states as well.

Bangor Dan, since yours took so long I'm guessing either the gun wasn't in stock so they had to wait to get it from Uberti and then get it plated.  Or if you had special grips like Tru-Ivory the gun has to get plated first then get the grips (or vice-versa) since the grip frame is sent to Tru-Ivory (and they are reeeeeally slow).  But that's just a guess.

RWK, I've never heard of it being considered a refinish, but I guess it depends on how you define that.  Since the guns are brand-spanky new when nickled, there is probably only a minimum of polishing needed before plating.

Offline Bangor Dan

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #39 on: August 28, 2012, 05:49:47 PM »
Abilene,

thanks for the info. I ordered this one through my cowboy dealer, Ultona. I'm positive I asked him if Cimarron had the gun in stock (after waiting two years for my Taylors gun to make it to the states I was a bit "gun" shy). Didn't order anything extra over and above the nickel job. He says that Cimarron is telling him that there is some "health issue" at the platers which is causing the delay, so I don't know what to make of the situation. I do know that it only took about one month on a previous (2 years ago) Cimarron Mod P. Go figure!

Bangor Dan

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com