Author Topic: How many if any have shot a clean match  (Read 14433 times)

Offline Bitterwheat

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
How many if any have shot a clean match
« on: August 10, 2005, 01:15:36 PM »
How many have shot a clean match there first time out? If not how long did it take to shoot your first clean match

Offline Silver Creek Slim

• Buckaroo
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 2329
  • GAF #: 144
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 120
Re: How many if any have shot a clean match
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2005, 01:20:04 PM »
This is my fourth year of CAS. I haven't shot a clean match, yet.

Slim
NCOWS 2329, WartHog, SCORRS, SBSS, BHR, GAF, RBCS, Dirty RATS, BTBM, IPSAC, Cosie-in-training
I love the smell of Black Powder in the morning!

Badlands Walker

« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2005, 01:23:43 PM »
ME! 8)

That's a lie pard! ;)

Ain't been to my first official match yet! :-\ :'( :'( :'(

Heck, don't even know iffn' I'll ever make one? ::)

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 03:45:31 PM »

The Arapaho Kid

« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2005, 01:26:00 PM »
Well now.....I haven't been doing CAS shooting very long and have only been in two matches, so far, but I shot both of them clean!  In the second match they had some special bonus targets.  I took those out!  I'm working with good irons and they put the bullets where I want them to go.  I always wind up on the bottom of the barrel on the score sheet, but I have fun getting there.  So. for me...two matches....both clean!

Offline Arcey

• Underlord of Soot
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2005, 02:09:57 PM »
Third shoot ever was clean.  The Pony Express Challenge, '97.  R.D., dude, if you're lurkin' out there readin' this, I miss yer company it Blue Ridge.  Hope yer gettin' along ok.  I'll bet the Marshal remembers the P.E.C.

Been a bunch since then 'n a big bunch more I had ta have a stinkin' miss on.  The last two have been clean.  The last three would have been but had me a l'il problem with a cap fallin' off a nipple.  Eleven straight stages.  Personal record is fourteen straight.  Got a two day, ten stage comin' up week after next.  You can bet the barn the first four are gonna be real deliberate.

Honorary Life Member of the Pungo Posse. Badge #1. An honor bestowed by the posse. Couldn’t be more proud or humbled.

All I did was name it ‘n get it started. The posse made it great. A debt I can never repay. Thank you, mi amigos.

Offline Howdy Doody

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2005, 03:07:05 PM »
Yup, I have had some. My first got me a golden stealth bullet award from Col. Dan. Cool. I had one the first shoot with my new club as a member. I almost had one last Sunday until the last stage and I missed two pistol targets, but my favorite so far was the one I got when I tried W3G for the first time. I think that because it was my first experience at something new, that I might have been concentrating hard each stage. Maybe that is the secret. Concentrating real hard, taking some time with the front sight and hoping for the best.
I have a pard, I'll name him, I don't think he would mind,  that shoots a clean match every time. He shoots clean at monthlies and shoots clean at the big matches. Sounds unbelievable, huh? Trust me, he always shoots clean and he is a good pard to shoot with to boot. Plus he does RO chores. That would be Percy Hallen. I have possied with him many times and always a clean one. Unbelievable.
I am glad this came up, because I am getting ready to head on out to the W3G World Cup match. I might just try and concentrate, shoot at a comfortable pace and not over my head so to speak and see if I can rack up a clean one. If I do,  I would have to thank Bitterwheat for jogging my mindset into it.  :)
yer pard,
Howdy Doody
Notorious BP shooter

Offline Joyce (AnnieLee)

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2005, 03:15:26 PM »
October will be my second anniversary of shooting CAS. My first clean match came on my first anniversary, shooting double duelist. My second was a few weeks ago, shooting Gunfighter at my home club.

Now that I know what Arcey will be doing at that two day.... I'm gonna be tempted to mess with him...

But I won't.

:D

AnnieLee

Unrepentant WartHog
Heathen Gunfighter
Pepper Mill Creek Gang
RATS
and
Wielder of "Elle KaBong", the WartHog cast iron skillet
Nasty Lady

Offline Cherokee Charlie

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2005, 03:19:03 PM »
Back in my younger days(11 years ago) it was not unusual for me to shoot clean matches.  Five lower back, two neck, both shoulders and one knee operation later it seems that I can't buy a clean match.  Last year I shot two clean matches back to back and I haven't done it since.  Now you must understand that I am a graduate of Sawyer's shooting school and I have followed his advice and sold all my guns because they were missing and bought all new ones.  When I get the hang of these new ones then I will go back to shooting clean.  Mind you, I didn't say fast.
Cherokee Charlie is not who I really am but who I should have been.
Regulator #4967
Cherokee Cowboys #1

Offline Tascosa

• Very Active Citizen
  • Amarillo, Texas-The heart of cattle country
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2005, 03:33:00 PM »
I've shot clean matches a few times. I use the same mode of thnking when  my daddy would let me rope calves to brand. He said it don't matter how quick I miss the calf, I still missed! So I generally take my time as fast as I can shooting or ropin' and have shot some clean matches. BUT I never won a match. And that don't bother me so much as missing a tin plate woiuld. I think of the tin plate as one bad hombre, and he might miss me on his first shot so I'd better be sure to hit him when I do shoot.
Jest my opinion but I got to tell ya boys, my daddy never steered me wrong!
Tascosa
Ex-feedlot cowboy (ret)
Ex-cowboy (ret)
Ex-Sheriff's Sgt. (ret)
Ex-Chief of Police (ret)
BOLD 476

Offline Joyce (AnnieLee)

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2005, 03:40:03 PM »
I'm with Tascosa on this. I've eaten close to 10 seconds on a reload after jacking a round out of my rifle. A miss is a bad guy left standing.

:D

AnnieLee

Unrepentant WartHog
Heathen Gunfighter
Pepper Mill Creek Gang
RATS
and
Wielder of "Elle KaBong", the WartHog cast iron skillet
Nasty Lady

Offline Camille Eonich

• Top Active Citizen
    • Stump Water and Camille Eonich's Website
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2005, 03:48:15 PM »
Hey Charlie, I took Sawyer's school at EOT!  It was worth every penny that I paid for it and then some.

I've had one clean match since I started shooting.  Made it to the 8th stage at MDS last year before I had a miss then I had a miss on the last stage.  I've had several matches with only one miss.  Not in a while though :(
“Extremism is so easy. You've got your position, and that's it. It doesn't take much thought. And when you go far enough to the right you meet the same idiots coming around from the left.”
― Clint Eastwood

Offline Trooper Steve

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2005, 04:18:27 PM »
This year, Shot the VA state and the NE regional clean. No fun at all. If you ain't missing... you ain't trying hard enough!

Offline Arcey

• Underlord of Soot
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2005, 04:24:55 PM »
WAIT!  WHOA!  HOLD-UP!

Was out in the barn gettin' some ammo loaded with Holy Black.  The Holy Black reminded me of the '58 that messed me up three shoots ago - Ok, ok - the '58 I put the wrong caps on 'n fouled myself up.  And, that reminded me that was on the fifth stage of that shoot.  I used the Sheriff's model I brought along for a back-up on the sixth stage 'n shot it clean.

Soooooooooooooooooooooooo, that gives me twelve straight!  That's one less I got ta shoot to best myself.  All the while wunnerin' what Annies gonna do ta rattle me.

(Annie.  Got smoke bombs in the gun cart left o'er from the Charity Shoot)
Honorary Life Member of the Pungo Posse. Badge #1. An honor bestowed by the posse. Couldn’t be more proud or humbled.

All I did was name it ‘n get it started. The posse made it great. A debt I can never repay. Thank you, mi amigos.

Offline Will Ketchum

• Chief of Detectives
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Pete Ersland
  • SASS #: 4222
  • NCOWS #: 133
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2005, 04:29:40 PM »
I shot The Wisconsin State Championship clean last year and still managed a 3rd in my class (Senior Duelist).  Targets were too big and too close.  I'm not even shooting it this year :(

Will Ketchum
Will Ketchum's Rules of W&CAS: 1 Be Safe. 2 Have Fun. 3  Look Good Doin It!
F&AM, NRA Endowment Life, SASS Life 4222, NCOWS Life 133.  USMC for ever.
Madison, WI

Offline Cactus Cris

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2005, 06:20:03 PM »
I gots 15 stealth bullets in my 13 yrs.   All but 6 were with C&B & BP.  When ya goes slow --it happens.  I don't really think about it till I see I got 1-2 stages left and have not missed yet- Then I concentrate on it.    I am just happy when the toys work all the time. ::) ;D
Darksider- Gpa of 5- Rabid  C&Br,   DGB, Scorrs, ACSA, RSCAS,TONTO RIMM,  SASS #2790, 31 & counting Clean match's

Offline Russ T Chambers

• Littlest ol' fart Cowboy in Nevada Territory
  • CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Well preserved for my age!
  • SASS #: 262
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 20
« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2005, 06:35:52 PM »
Okay I guess we got a bunch of gamers out there!  ::) ??? ??? ??? ;D ;D  Only kidding!!  ;D ;D ;D

Been doing this for 15 years and still tryin' to prove ya can miss fast enough to win!!!! ::) ::)

Coarse if'n I really wanted to shoot clean I wouldn't be shootin' black stuff.   ::) ::)

Still have'n fun maken smoke and noise (even if they an't a lot of clangs after the bangs)  ;D
Russ T. Chambers
Roop County Cowboy Shooters Association
SASS Lifer/Regulator #262
WartHog
SBSS #1441
IPSAC
CRPA Lifer 
NSRPA Lifer
NRA Benefactor Member
Brother of the Arrow

Offline Big John Denny

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2005, 08:07:31 PM »
I didn't get a clean match until my fourth try. That last stage was a bear and I knew I was clean at the start of it.
Big John Denny, SASS 64775
US Army Retired
Los Vaqueros
BOLD #661
GOFWG #240
SBSS #1780 (Order of the Golden Bullet)
NMLRA
NRA
"Aim small....Miss small"

Offline Wes Virginian

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: August 10, 2005, 08:58:13 PM »
Shot my 1st clean match shooting GF about 2 weeks before the 2004 Ky State Match, Then shot clean in the Ky State match shooting Frontiersman. Haven't shot clean since.

Wes
Texican Rangers, Co. A, Kanawha Valley Regulators, NRA Life-Endowment, SASS Life 40471, NCOWS 2037, GAF, USN '60/'63.

Offline Four-Eyed Buck

• Top Active Citizen
  • Tusco LongRiders,
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: August 10, 2005, 09:42:53 PM »
Sure have, took three years to get the first one. Most I ever did was 7 matches in a row. Have three this year so far......Buck 8) ::) ;)
I might be slow, but I'm mostly accurate.....

Offline Wymore Wrangler

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: August 11, 2005, 11:14:47 AM »
I flirted with it but finally got my first follwed by several last year, (my third in CAS shooting), got two already this year and several with only one miss, now for speed, I'm slow as molasses...
Fast horses for sale, Discount for newly minted gold coins, no questions asked....

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com