Author Topic: 1911 Pattern Pack  (Read 56923 times)

Offline Slowhand Bob

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: 1911 Pattern Pack
« Reply #60 on: September 07, 2011, 07:44:14 PM »
Outrider, you have been a good friend to me and always willing to step forward and for this I thank you.  You sir are a cowboy.  I received my 'Christmas in September' package from Will and consider his latest patterns to be even better than his earlier work.  Guys, just be sure that if you order the WG conchos not to drop one on your toe, these are not the cheap leather craft store fare, these are heavy.  Now to save up for those two custom stamps.

Offline Dalton Masterson

• Freeda Bee Mee's driver and ammo loader
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Wheeeeee!
    • Dalton Masterson's site
  • SASS #: 51139
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #61 on: September 07, 2011, 08:33:10 PM »
Bob,
Those stamps are very nice to have. I havent used them a lot, but when I do use them, they look great.

Will,
How long do you think it will be on the 1911 pack? I have a few people in mind for some Christmas presents from this.

Thanks,
DM
SASS #51139L
Former Territorial Governor of the Platte Valley Gunslingers (Ret)
GAF (Bvt.) Major in command of Battalion of Western Nebraska
SUDDS 194--Double Duelist and proud of it!
RATS #65
SCORRS
Gunfighting Soot Lord from Nebrasky
44 spoke, and it sent lead and smoke, and 17 inches of flame.
https://www.facebook.com/Plum-Creek-Leatherworks-194791150591003/
www.runniron.com

Offline will ghormley

• Top Active Citizen
    • Will Ghormley - Maker
  • Liked:
« Reply #62 on: September 07, 2011, 11:07:46 PM »
Hey Dalton,

I've been slavin' away workin' long hours to get it wrapped up, off to the printers, for distribution through TLF, (Tandy Leather Factory).  I'm still probably two weeks from gettin' it all on paper to be scanned, and that's optimistic.  Two to three months from when I send it off to the printers, (depending on the printer's schedule and how fast TLF can get it distributed).

But, bein' a one-man-shop, there are always unforeseen events that can slow stuff down.  Take the bike accident I had two weeks ago.  My friends have been tellin' me, "Will, you're too old to be jumpin' your mountain bike down a flight of stairs!"  And I keep tellin' 'em, "No, I'm plenty young enough to jump my bike down a flight of stairs.  I'm just too old to wreck the stunt."

Then there is my vintage, collectors item, 1987 2500 GMC Suburban that I took the train to Utah to buy, (the truck of my dreams, the last vehicle I will every buy).  It still needs a fresh coat of paint and undercoating before it can survive a winter of salt here on the arctic plains of Ioway country, (it has no rust bein' a western truck).  But, my bike stunt has left me a week behind on the sanding and priming because I couldn't function properly.  The good news is, now it is all sanded down to the metal and primed.  Next step is the mil spec flat desert sand paint job, (with flat white Normandy "Invasion Stars" painted on the doors, back barn doors, and hood).  Then it is good-to-go for it's first winter here in the frozen tundra.  Next year will be the custom full-length luggage rack, spare tire rack, jerry can rack, military bumpers, and winch. Can you say, "Most awe inspiring off-road, adventure vehicle ever!?"  It's all manual and factory stripped, (it doesn't even have floor coverings, AC, power windows, or a headliner), so there is little to break down or need maintenance.  Like I always say, "You can live in your Suburban, but you can't drive your house to work!"

So, if everything goes well, (and in my world that is always a very big "if"), you may have the patterns in time to work night and day to get everything done for the blessed season of our Lord's birth.  But, since you are waiting on it, I will redouble my efforts and try to speed things along.

Will

"When Liberty is illegal, only the outlaws will be free."  Will Ghormley

"Exploit your strengths.  Compensate for your weaknesses."
Will Ghormley

Advertising

« Reply #63 on: Today at 04:11:09 PM »

Offline Dalton Masterson

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Wheeeeee!
  • Liked:
« Reply #63 on: September 07, 2011, 11:14:31 PM »
No hurry Will. I would rather you have some enjoyment working on your truck some too! I have to get my 63 Galaxie weatherstrip job finished before winter too, so I know how that goes.
And stairs and bikes. Been there, would do it again....but faster. ;)
DM
SASS #51139L
RATS #65
SCORRS
www.runniron.com

Offline Blackey Cole

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #64 on: September 08, 2011, 10:48:47 PM »
Will, sorry the leather washer and a quick glance made me think it was an original style swivel.  I can not wait to get this pattern.  I plan on doing some Wild Bunch leather here soon to replace the "Big Store" stuff that I have.  For Cowboy I made everything except two items on my belt the holsters(Long Hunter Custom order Plain Black) and the Cap pouch.  I need to make some more ammo pouches since I sold my last one that had a belt clip instead of belt loops. 

For Wild Bunch I wish to make a new belt with the 1911 buckle then the holster.  Follow that by the 5 Round 45 and 5 Round 12Ga loops on a slide.  Then the Mag pouches.
SASS, NRA, NMSA
NRA  RSO
SASS RO II
Gaming Gunfighter in Training

Offline Marshal Will Wingam

• Garden Variety
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Smile. It makes people wonder what you're up to.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 308
« Reply #65 on: September 09, 2011, 12:10:56 AM »
Those paramilitary holsters are really good. I particularly like the swivel holster. You captured the look beautifully. Thumbs-up.

SCORRS     SASS     BHR     STORM #446

Offline will ghormley

• Top Active Citizen
    • Will Ghormley - Maker
  • Liked:
« Reply #66 on: September 15, 2011, 08:51:15 PM »
Well, I re-worked the "pancake" holster, (yeah I know it's not a true "pancake", but I'm too lazy to make up a new name for it),  before I got what I wanted, (three times it took me!).

http://www.willghormley-maker.com/1911.html

The close-up inset photo is of how I recessed the female snap into the 4-5 oz. leather liner so it would be less likely to touch the finish of the pistol.  The holster itself is 9-10 oz. leather with the 4-5 oz. liner, makin' it a pretty heavy-duty holster.  I went with the lining so the snaps on the thumb release, (a modern design feature), wouldn't wear on the pistol's finish.

I'm also re-designing the Pancho holster, (the holster with the skirt), to fit over a three inch belt, and widened the skirt by a quarter inch on each side.  There will also be a straight-hang version of the Pancho in the pattern pack.

I'm also re-designing the Tom Threepersons-style holster to make it a little more secure.

I need to add the para-military tanker's rig and the mag pouches and that'll be this pattern pack.  I may have to make another 1911 pattern, or even, (I can't believe I'm sayin' this!), a modern holster pattern pack that'll fit more than just the 1911.  I can't stand the idea of makin' holsters for them plastic play guns!  But, I need to raise money to buy me an old house in a little town where my family will be safe.  I don't want to be in the capital city when everything falls to pieces next year.

Will

Will Ghormley

Offline Dalton Masterson

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Wheeeeee!
  • Liked:
« Reply #67 on: September 15, 2011, 09:14:44 PM »
Wow Will. You have been busy.
They all still look great! I cant wait for the pack to be done!

Sadly, the modern plasticy type guns are what I have been making the most of right now. I would gladly take a pattern pack for them too. I have several blue guns I could loan you if needed, as well.

DM
SASS #51139L
RATS #65
SCORRS
www.runniron.com

Offline Arizona Cattleman

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #68 on: September 15, 2011, 09:33:37 PM »
I'm with you Will, thats why I live where I live now.  Just a hop skip and a jump from the uninhabited desert.  Would like to see a verision of the 1911 that rides high  on the belt for CCW.  Your decision, but that last one is so beautiful.  I would like one of the pattern packs  when they are done.  Keep us advised.

AC
SASS Member #86387
NRA Member
USCCA Member

Offline will ghormley

• Top Active Citizen
    • Will Ghormley - Maker
  • Liked:
« Reply #69 on: September 16, 2011, 08:08:27 AM »
Hey AC,

That fake "pancake" could actually ride higher by moving the pouch up.  I hadn't even thought about that till you mentioned it.  I can add a different set of attachment lines so the holster can be sewn on higher up on the belt plate.  Great idea!

Will

Will Ghormley

Offline Sgt. C.J. Sabre

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #70 on: September 16, 2011, 01:45:37 PM »
Hey AC,

That fake "pancake" could actually ride higher by moving the pouch up.  I hadn't even thought about that till you mentioned it.  I can add a different set of attachment lines so the holster can be sewn on higher up on the belt plate.  Great idea!

Will

You could probably even mount t-nuts as anchors for the pancake in the holster, and have several sets of holes to mount the paddle on. Or even different types of attatchments, (belt loop, paddle, etc).

Offline Blackey Cole

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #71 on: September 16, 2011, 08:03:00 PM »
Will, great work I will be picking up the pack when you finish it myself even if it is two different packs.  I also have several blue guns I could loan you.  Taurus 24/7 & Springfield XD.
SASS, NRA, NMSA
NRA  RSO
SASS RO II
Gaming Gunfighter in Training

Offline will ghormley

• Top Active Citizen
    • Will Ghormley - Maker
  • Liked:
« Reply #72 on: September 16, 2011, 10:57:34 PM »
Thanks for the offers of the blue gun guys.  I may take you up on it.  I really don't know what sort of simi-autos are floatin' around out there.  I would probably have to go with a "large" holster and a "small" holster and make 'em gun buckets.  Or, I could have one style of holster modified for several different kinds of guns.  We'll just have to see...

TLF has expressed an interest in my moc patterns if I can reconfigure them to what they want to sell.  I think I can swing it and have three more patterns ready to go to market pretty fast.  But, first I have to get through this 1911 project.  It has been somethin' of a struggle adaptin' my thought process from wheel-guns to the 1911.  They just ain't build the same.  It seems that every pattern I have to take at least two runs at it before I get it right.  Oh well, I should be an expert by the time I get the pattern pack done.

Will

Will Ghormley

Offline Slowhand Bob

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #73 on: September 17, 2011, 07:57:41 AM »
Will, all of us really have so many ideas on this project but I fear you may have to step back and think about reducing how much one can reasonably offer in a single pattern pack at a reasonable price.  From what I have seen of your military prototype, I think that it is a winner and would sell more than a correct copy ever could.  The correct copy is fun for something informal, for such as the guys here but just such a tiny market elsewhere.  I also think your idea of going to a 'modern generic' set of patterns as an alternative to staying with the 1911.  This would be an untouched market filled with so many guns not covered by the pattern packs of the old school.  Good luck.

Offline knucklehead

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #74 on: September 17, 2011, 11:35:20 AM »
Will, I have been following this thread with great interest.
If tandy does not want these patterns I hope you will offer them on your website.

I personally like "The Frazier" style the best. this one would also look great with some floral or oakleaf toolling.

just sitting here waiting for the patterns to be available but its hard. im chomping at the bit to get these patterns :( ;D
I'M #330 DIRTY RAT.

Offline will ghormley

• Top Active Citizen
    • Will Ghormley - Maker
  • Liked:
« Reply #75 on: September 17, 2011, 03:26:12 PM »
Got the revision of the "Pancho" done and a photo posted on the page.  Don't know if I'll get any other work done on the pattern this weekend.

Will

Will Ghormley

Offline mtgelaude

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #76 on: September 18, 2011, 03:22:45 AM »
Wow, I like it.  I am not sure that I like it more than the last version, but I still like it a bunch.  How the heck do you make revisions and a holster as fast as you do?  I work on one holster for weeks between designing and making it.  Nice work.

Offline will ghormley

• Top Active Citizen
    • Will Ghormley - Maker
  • Liked:
« Reply #77 on: September 18, 2011, 11:01:42 AM »
Glad you like it mtgelaude.  As for how I get it done, this is all I do.  If I don't do it, my kids go hungry.  That's a pretty good motivator.

Will

Will Ghormley

Offline JD Alan

• Pistol Packin Parson
  • Top Active Citizen
    • New Life Church Website
  • Liked:
« Reply #78 on: September 20, 2011, 11:17:57 AM »
I sure am looking forward to this pattern pack becoming available. I would imagine that's true for many guys on this forum.

That carved Pancake holster is really sharp; well they're all sharp!

Someone may have already asked this, but what kind of leather are using for these holsters? Your leather always looks super nice, and  the color is outstanding.

Thanks Will, God bless, JD    
The man with an experience is never at the mercy of a man with an argument.

Offline will ghormley

• Top Active Citizen
    • Will Ghormley - Maker
  • Liked:
« Reply #79 on: September 20, 2011, 11:32:10 AM »
Hey JD,

This is the veg-tanned, half-hide, 9-10 oz. carving leather from TLF.  Actually, since I'm such a Scott, all of the holsters shown are made out of the scraps I wouldn't use on holsters for my payin' customer.

I've applied extra virgin olive oil and used gum tragacanth on the edges and backing.  Since most of the leather is old, it already has a nice color to it after it is oiled.  However, for those that were a little on the pale side, I set those in the sun for a couple of days.

I just finished what I call the "Over/Under Crossdraw" for concealed carry.  It can be made either way for either side.  Since I just made one proto-type, I took the photos wearing it first on the left side for right-hand draw, then on the right for left-hand draw.  I'd be interested in knowin' what you guys think of it.  It's kind'a different and my not be appealing.

Let me know.  Thanks,
Will

Will Ghormley

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com