1911 Pattern Pack

Started by will ghormley, August 12, 2011, 10:00:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dalton Masterson

Will, I think the bulky look is fine. Its not that noticeable to me, especially with all the other things going on with the design.

Good job!
DM
SASS #51139L
Former Territorial Governor of the Platte Valley Gunslingers (Ret)
GAF (Bvt.) Major in command of Battalion of Western Nebraska
SUDDS 194--Double Duelist and proud of it!
RATS #65
SCORRS
Gunfighting Soot Lord from Nebrasky
44 spoke, and it sent lead and smoke, and 17 inches of flame.
https://www.facebook.com/Plum-Creek-Leatherworks-194791150591003/
www.runniron.com

mtgelaude

I actually like the tooled one on the right.  ;D Of course, I like the entire look of the one on the right more than the left.  I do not know how hard it would be to "slim down" one pattern, but I prefer a good fit with not too much extra.  Just my two bits.....oh, did I say I love those rigs.  But I really like the one on the left.  Great work.

Matt

Rossmaker

Amazing job Will! I love both patterns they turned out awesome! I don't think the bulk of the spotted holster takes anything away from the look at all. Great designs all the way around.
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do those things to other people and I require the same of them." (John Wayne, the Shootist)

Slowhand Bob

They look very good Will, the one with the cut away trigger guard would be very popular with the competitive shooters.  As to the extra volume included for weird trigger guards and sight sets, it would be a simple matter to add the fix or two for those with standard guns.  First the space would allow room for a heavy liner to be used where desired.  A second fix would be the addition of a pair of parallel dotted lines running down the fold area of the pattern with instructions on how to remove this strip to snug the holster if desired.  I think that 3/8" to 1/2" strip would go a fair ways without impacting the spot/concho pattern to terribly.

A thought on the military pattern, I like your idea on the close facsimile more so than trying to acheive a perfect clone to the original.  I am sure some would disagree but I think looks good is close enough for ninety percent or more of your market.  I, for one, will be patiently waiting to place my order! 

Boothill Bob

Lovely Will. Cant wait to get my dirty hands on the pattern  :)
Shoot fast and aim straight

SASS#83079 SWS#1246

will ghormley

Thanks for the continuing feedback guys.

I'm contemplating adding a narrower spotted pattern, (lace holes, spot layout, concho layout, skirt width, loop size, will all be effected by trimming down the holster and my obsessive/compulsive tendencies, [which by the way improve the quality of my patterns and overall detailed work], have me leaning towards starting from scratch.

Slowhand, I'm with you.  The expense of purchasing period correct military spec hardware for the holster would inhibit most folks from actually making authentically correct military holsters.  I believe by simplifying the pattern to attain the "look" of the military holsters, and using readily available hardware, I can best serve the larger number of holster makers and hobbyists.  I will have to make the correct military gear to suit my own proclivities, but those patterns and hardware packets can be sold separately.

I'll be sewing up another, very abbreviated "Tom Threepersons" styled tooled western holster this afternoon.  I'll post the photo on the 1911 page when I get 'er done.  Don't know how secure it will be.  May have to redesign it with a security strap.

Will

"When Liberty is illegal, only the outlaws will be free."  Will Ghormley

"Exploit your strengths.  Compensate for your weaknesses."
Will Ghormley

will ghormley

Got photos up of the third proto-type, (Tom Threepersons).  It's my new favorite!

http://www.willghormley-maker.com/1911.html

Will

Will Ghormley

Dalton Masterson

Very nice Will. How is the retention? That looks to be a very quick holster for WB.

Thats a nice looking early 1911 in there too!
DM
SASS #51139L
RATS #65
SCORRS
www.runniron.com

will ghormley

Hey Dalton,

I jumped up and down vigorously and the gun didn't budge a bit.  I figure it would work for just about any shooting competition.  If I were riding a horse, or in a combat environment, I would want a strap on it.  One could be snapped to the face of the pouch, but would have to be backed with thin leather to keep from scratchin' the weapon.

I couldn't be happier with the 1911!  It is offered by Cimarron and made in the Philippines.  The quality and reputation of the Philippine-made 1911s is very good.  They are not high-performance race-guns, but they are workman-like guns that stand the gaff and put the lead down range.  The thumb safety isn't quite right for the earliest model, but all the other aspects of the gun are worth overlooking that one slight shortcoming, (and the thumb safety is easier to use as is).  I will be gettin' me some 550 cord and making a lanyard that will retain the pistol and the first discarded mag.

I was the only guy I ever knew in the Army who still used the lanyard for the 1911A1.  I always dropped the empty mags down my shirt.  Some of those were hot!

Will

Will Ghormley

Kid Terico

Will thats some DARN NICE leather your showing. Thanks for showing. KT :)

Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

Very nice Will, this should work for all, my favorite is the Frazier#9

tEN wOLVES  ;D
NRA, SASS# 69595, NCOWS#3123 Leather Shop, RATTS# 369, SCORRS, BROW, ROWSS #40   Shoot Straight, Have Fun, That's What It's All About

Slowhand Bob

Will, I gotta disagree with you on this one.  My style is the second model, looks fast and the skirt style is beautiful while also adding the western flare.  Good job on all of them as far as I am concerned.  Are you ok on magazine pouch patterns for the various holster styles?  Though I really like the look of Outriders double pouch pattern more than mine, I would be glad to send mine for you to look at.  They are fairly easy to make and the individual pouches can be done as singles.

On the 1911, I actually have one of the High Standard versions of the same Philippine gun.  It tends to be a bit more picky with magazines than are my Colts but I am up to several that work well with it now and the more it is fired the more mags it is accepting.  Trigger pull is a bit rough but my daughter-in-law ran almost two hundred rounds through it in one outing and loved it!  She wants me to be sure and bring it back, with lots more ammo, on my next trip down home.   ;D

outrider

Will,  mighty fine looking leather there pardner....I agree with all that has been said by the other wrnglers on here...

Hey Slowhand..I know what your talking about as far as your daughter-in-law is concerned.  I made the mistake of giving my AR to my wife to try...now I never get to shoot the darn thing.
Outrider  (formerly "Dusty Dick" out of PA.)
SASS #2353
BOLD #895
Custom Leathersmith
Ocoee Rangers

will ghormley

I haven't spent much time thinkin' about mag pouches yet.  I'll probably be doin' something real similar to the old canvas pouch military doubles.  But, Outrider is sendin' me a pattern.  I may end up with several styles, if there is room in the pattern pack.

I'm thinkin' about makin' a deep SOB with a spare mag pouch built in, for those times when you are in a tee shirt and shorts but still want to pack heat.

The Tom Threepersons-type holster is goin' to Gov. Rick Perry this Saturday since he often goes heeled, (as an encouragement to keep on stickin' it in the eye of those who disagree with traditional American values).  It can be made straight, (as shown in the photo), or with a cant to it.  I'll probably make another one with a cant to replace it.

My wife loves to shoot 1911s rather than my wheel guns, (don't know what's wrong with that girl).  Since I haven't had time to shoot it at all, I should get 500 rounds from Cheaper Than Dirt and send her out to break it in.

Will

Will Ghormley

Slowhand Bob

Had my head been screwed on straight I would have used a bigger envelope and included my mag pouch with the order I just sent to you.  It looks very similar to the single mag version Chuck used with his rig but mounted as doubles on a belt slide.  From talking with some of the guys who use these in SASS competition it is important that the slides be made to place both mags facing forward on the off side.  I actually think this allows a standard index finger forward draw and insert technique for the 1911 in any competition.

PS: I think SASS rules do not allow mag pouches to have any cant angle, mags must hang at 90deg.

Dalton Masterson

Yep. Straight hang mag pouches, and 2" of the mag covered at least, if I recall.
DM
SASS #51139L
RATS #65
SCORRS
www.runniron.com

Marshal Will Wingam

Very nice designs, Will. I particularly like the Frazier. Darn beautiful holster, there.

SCORRS     SASS     BHR     STORM #446

will ghormley

I'm workin' on the pattern for para-military belt holsters right now.  The look will be very similar, but I'm makin' 'em with belt loops, rather than the wire military hangers for the web belts.  Even though it will detract from the overall correct "look", a feller won't have to go buyin' extra hardware to have somethin' that will do.  Even at that, I've found photos of non-issue, private purchase, belt holsters that were used in WWI/WWII.

Same as any other conflict, and even my own experience in the military, (I modified and added to my own gear, and that of fellers in my Company.)  I've noticed how many "personal purchase" items show-up in news feeds from Iraq and Afghanistan.  So, even though the holsters aren't mil issue, they are similar in appearance, functional, versatile, and easier to construct.  The leather is heavier than mil issue holsters so it doesn't need all the reinforcement redundancies built into the originals.

Gotta get back to work!
Will

Will Ghormley

will ghormley

Got two of the para-military belt holsters done.  One is made like the earliest Cavalry holsters with the swivel.  That's the one shown in the photo.  The other uses the same holster, but has a simple belt loop instead.

http://www.willghormley-maker.com/1911.html

Will

Will Ghormley

Dalton Masterson

Looks like the cats meow!! Good job on that design.
DM
SASS #51139L
RATS #65
SCORRS
www.runniron.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com