Author Topic: Shirt  (Read 7810 times)

Offline Cash Creek

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • In GOD we trust..all others cash only..
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Shirt
« on: July 22, 2011, 11:17:31 PM »
Would a shirt like this be legal in NCOWS??? looks like a long john top..
Hiram Ranger #100, Westside Sportsmen Club, NCOWS 3395, SASS 90169, NRA, Col. Bishop's Renegades... Cowgirls are like barbed wire…handle with care.

Offline St. George

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS , GAF, B.O.L.D., Order of St. George, SOCOM,
  • Liked:
Re: Shirt
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2011, 11:13:55 AM »
Yes.

And you should be able to install a 'paper collar' on it as well - by adding a couple of small buttons.

Vaya,

Scouts Out!
"It Wasn't Cowboys and Ponies - It Was Horses and Men.
It Wasn't Schoolboys and Ladies - It Was Cowtowns and Sin..."

Offline Tjackstephens

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2011, 11:54:31 AM »
Cash,That shirt is made from material they did not have before 1900. It is called a cool shirt and does very well. I have two of them that I wear when it is hot and I am shooting at a SASS match. Some of them look very correct, except no buttons on the cuffs. I have wondered with a little help if they might be ok for NCOWS events. Sure would have helped at the National, but I fell they would not be proper. If St. George fells they would be ok, then they may be. Tj
Texas Jack Stephens:   NRA, NCOWS #2312,  SASS # 12303, Hiram's Ranger #22,  GAF #641, USFA-CSS # 185, BOSS# 174,  Hartford Lodge 675, Johnson County Rangers,  Green River Gunslingers, Col. Bishop's Renegades, Kentucky Col.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 02:50:01 PM »

Offline Irish Dave

• Retired Marshal
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2011, 12:35:10 PM »

That image is really too small to make a definitive judgement on. It's cut looks appropriate from what can be seen, but TJ makes some good points. I haven't seen one of the "cool shirts" up close. They may or may not be appropriate. Really couldn't tell from this image or without seeing one in person.

Dave Scott aka Irish Dave
NCOWS Marshal Retired
NCOWS Senator and Member 132-L
Great Lakes Freight & Mining Co.
SASS 5857-L
NRA Life

irishdave5857@aol.com

Offline Tjackstephens

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2011, 12:58:38 PM »
You can see it at www.jhornaday.com   Tj
Texas Jack Stephens:   NRA, NCOWS #2312,  SASS # 12303, Hiram's Ranger #22,  GAF #641, USFA-CSS # 185, BOSS# 174,  Hartford Lodge 675, Johnson County Rangers,  Green River Gunslingers, Col. Bishop's Renegades, Kentucky Col.

Offline Cash Creek

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2011, 02:31:52 PM »
This links shows all the different colors..and styles..
http://www.jhornaday.com/home/available-styles/
Hiram Ranger #100, Westside Sportsmen Club, NCOWS 3395, SASS 90169, NRA, Col. Bishop's Renegades... Cowgirls are like barbed wire…handle with care.

Offline St. George

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS , GAF, B.O.L.D., Order of St. George, SOCOM,
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2011, 03:05:02 PM »
Well, now...

Somehow, the material used in its construction completely eluded me, and I went with the general styling of the garment.

The style is right - but if the material isn't - then the shirt can't be used.

Vaya,

Scouts Out!
"It Wasn't Cowboys and Ponies - It Was Horses and Men.
It Wasn't Schoolboys and Ladies - It Was Cowtowns and Sin..."

Offline Pancho Peacemaker

• NCOWS Texican Senator
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #3120, SASS #75813
    • Pancho's Videos
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2011, 06:43:51 PM »
I've been wearing these shirts all spring and summer here in Texas.

That's the only type of shirt I wore at Nationals this year.  Books and Trap had a chance to look them over.

They are very good for hot wearther shooting.  I believe they are appropriate for shooters aiming for Level 1 authenticity or any shooter on a hot day.  The materials aren't PC, but the styling is.

I wrote a write up about these for "The Shootist".

These are a few photos:

NRA - Life
NRA-ILA
TSRA - Life
S&W Collectors Association

"A vote is like a rifle: its usefulness depends upon the character of the user."
-T. Roosevelt (1858 - 1919)

Offline Cliff Fendley

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 373
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2011, 10:50:11 PM »
Looks to me like if the styling is right then it should be allowed even if the materials are a little off. Provided it has the same look as original.

Otherwise where do you draw the line? nobody's clothes unless they make their own will be completely correct with the materials. I'm sure they are using polyester thread or something that wasn't used 19th century.

All of these guys that are wearing factory holsters and belts with nylon thread are all wrong too :D
http://www.fendleyknives.com/

NCOWS 3345  RATS 576 NRA Life member

Johnson County Rangers

Online Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2011, 09:32:44 AM »
So since I don't see it on the website does anyone have time to look in one of them and tell me what magic fabric these shirts are made of that is cooler than cotton?  If it's like the work shirts made today it's a polyester/cotton blend and it isn't cooler than pure cotton it just stays drier than cotton.
Mongrel Historian

Always get the water for the coffee upstream from the herd.

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

The time has passed so quick, the years all run together now.

Offline Tjackstephens

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2011, 11:24:11 AM »
Del, I don't know what they are made of. They do stay dry. The last time I wore one, my paints were soaking wet, but my shirt was dry. So you may be right. However I do not even think the style is correct for a shirt. The cuffs have no buttons. But the way I sweat, they sure are a help. I'll go by what ever the Judge says, got plenty of correct shirts I can wear at NCOWS events. Tj

Just checked the tag, 100% poly.

Online Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2011, 11:31:32 AM »
Just checked the tag, 100% poly.

Even worse than I thought, you may feel cooler and drier but you are not.  You sweat to cool your body, cotton holds it and allows it to evaporate slowly helping to cool you.  That would give you a false sense of being cooler.  Also I would not let anyone wearing one near one of my cook fires.  Polyester is nasty stuff around fires.  I've had to wear polyeaster in places I've had to wear uniforms.  A cotton T-Shirt needs to be worn under them when working in the heat to allow the body to cool naturally.  Wouldn't wear one if someone gave me one, let alone buy one.
Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

• NCOWS Texican Senator
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Pancho's Videos
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2011, 03:18:22 PM »
Even worse than I thought, you may feel cooler and drier but you are not.  You sweat to cool your body, cotton holds it and allows it to evaporate slowly helping to cool you.  That would give you a false sense of being cooler.  Also I would not let anyone wearing one near one of my cook fires.  Polyester is nasty stuff around fires.  I've had to wear polyeaster in places I've had to wear uniforms.  A cotton T-Shirt needs to be worn under them when working in the heat to allow the body to cool naturally.  Wouldn't wear one if someone gave me one, let alone buy one.

Why then does Under Armor sell so well?

Pancho

(I do agree with your fire danger comment.  100% polyester is known to go up in flame quickly.  US Military has banned Under Armor due to the fire danger from polyester.)

NRA - Life
NRA-ILA
TSRA - Life

"A vote is like a rifle: its usefulness depends upon the character of the user."

Online Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2011, 03:38:20 PM »
Why then does Under Armor sell so well?

Pancho

(I do agree with your fire danger comment.  100% polyester is known to go up in flame quickly.  US Military has banned Under Armor due to the fire danger from polyester.)

I have no idea what under armor is.
Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

• NCOWS Texican Senator
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Pancho's Videos
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2011, 05:39:47 PM »
I have no idea what under armor is.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Under_Armour

http://investor.underarmour.com/company/techspecs.cfm

I've spoken with the proprietor at the Horaday Dry Goods shop.  The style of polyester weave used in these shirts is designed to mimic the thermal requlation properties of Under Armor. 

The idea is improved cooling.  Sweat cools the body when it evaporates.  These shirts enhance evaporation.  When liquid sweat is heated enough to evaporate, energy is used up.  When you have a damp, saturated cotton shirt next to your skin, you do not evaporate as efficiently.  These modern polyester weaves "wick" sweat away from the body to the shirt surface, thus keeping a dry surface next to the skin.  This allows the body's evaporative cooling mechanism to work at it's peak.  Caveat:  you do need some air movement for this to all work.

Pancho
NRA - Life
NRA-ILA
TSRA - Life

Offline Tjackstephens

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: July 24, 2011, 06:41:58 PM »
My son and grandsons wear under armour when hunting in the winter. They really like it. I think the cool shirts are made of the same design as the T-shirts that the foot ball player Tebow is seen wearing on tv. Tj

Offline Cash Creek

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: July 24, 2011, 07:20:29 PM »
Pancho & Tj...
Do they make Under Armor boxer underwear.  :o .I know they are NCOWS legal because NO  ::) one going to check what you have on...  ;D

Online Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: July 24, 2011, 10:22:29 PM »
Pancho & Tj...
Do they make Under Armor boxer underwear.  :o .I know they are NCOWS legal because NO  ::) one going to check what you have on...  ;D

Oh some may want to, but just say no. ;)
Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com