Author Topic: Tang Sight For Henry Big Boy  (Read 17222 times)

Offline norman1938

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Tang Sight For Henry Big Boy
« on: July 10, 2011, 04:45:12 PM »
I have been struck with the buy another gun thing because of watching the Outdoor Channel. I am going to buy a Henry Big Boy 44 Magnum. I am going to install a Tang Sight on the rifle. I won't pay $500.00 for a tang sight. I have done some research on Tang Sights and found prices from $65.00 to $500.00. What shoud I look for in regards to quality when buying a Tang Sight?  I am still researching to learn about Tang Sights.  Thanks Norm  :-\

Offline Fox Creek Kid

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 108
Re: Tang Sight For Henry Big Boy
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2011, 06:25:07 PM »
Norm, with all due respect, this is a forum for originals as well the AUTHENTIC copies of the REAL Henry and not the Big Boy which has no basis in history despite all the false advertsing the company portrays as direct lineage. You'd have better luck asking this in the Gunsmithing Forum here on CAS City and probably even better luck on the SASS Wire as SASS allows the Big Boy.  ;)

Offline norman1938

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2011, 07:45:27 PM »
Norm, with all due respect, this is a forum for originals as well the AUTHENTIC copies of the REAL Henry and not the Big Boy which has no basis in history despite all the false advertsing the company portrays as direct lineage. You'd have better luck asking this in the Gunsmithing Forum here on CAS City and probably even better luck on the SASS Wire as SASS allows the Big Boy.  ;)

Very interesting. I thought like many others that the Henry Rifle Company had direct lineage to the original Henry Rifle.  Is the mechanics of the current manufacture Henry Rilfe the same as the original ?  Who makes authentic copies ? I'm glad I posted in the wrong place to be given this information.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 12:26:46 AM »

Offline Fox Creek Kid

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 108
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2011, 10:39:29 PM »
Very interesting. I thought like many others that the Henry Rifle Company had direct lineage to the original Henry Rifle.  Is the mechanics of the current manufacture Henry Rilfe the same as the original ?  Who makes authentic copies ? I'm glad I posted in the wrong place to be given this information.

Only the Uberti is an authentic copy. Obviously, it's not 100% as no one makes .44 Rimfire ammo, but it's damn close.

I really hate to see a layman get hoodwinked into believing that the Big Boy is a "real" Henry.  >:(  NCOWS had a huge debacle with the company when they solicited their "rifle" for approval. It was not pretty.

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 435
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2011, 02:32:02 AM »
The other morning, I caught an infomercial for Henry ....it was done like a Talk show host and the guest was the CEO Mr. Imperato ( His Dad founded the Company and was instrumental in the Colt 3rd Gen BP Signature Series ).

The good news is the Company based in New York , is American made .... as it stands.
Sadly, though they through advertisement claim linage to Tyler B. Henry...aside from the mame "HENRY" they are afar cry from anything Henry.

They paid SASS a Royalty, and SASS prostituted themselves and the gun is Legal for SASS
It is not nor will be legal for NCOWS.

The Big Boy is in 45, 44 Spcl and I think 38/357 and now they offer 30/30.... Their line may well be fine for white tail or for the plinker (22cal.)
The Big Boy is a poor choice for WAS .... as the action has way to much going on to be anyway near quick.

when planets align...do the deal !

Offline SGT John Chapman

• Top Active Citizen
  • And from the mists and darkness, He came.........
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2011, 07:35:59 AM »
Yup,.....It looks NOTHING like my Henry,......ok,..so it has a brass frame.....

This is a Henry

The people that made this do everything to tell you it's a Henry,....But It's Not....

Regards,
Sgt Chapman

##**EXTREME WARTHOG**##
            ~~GAF #143~~
               **SCORRS**
             ~*RATS #165*~

CAS City Profile For Sgt John Chapman

Offline Major 2

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2011, 08:32:56 AM »
My Brass Frame and Iron Frame

Offline matt45

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 13
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2011, 04:35:34 PM »
Hello the camp
     Trying to explain to a layman what the difference between a real henry and the modern 'henry arms' rifle is almost impossible w/out a picture or, better yet, a rifle in hand.  I had quite a discussion w/ a guy who was insistent on getting a real Henry in 44 magnum.  I reckon he could fire it once.

Offline Grizzly Adams

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2011, 04:47:12 PM »

They paid SASS a Royalty, and SASS prostituted themselves and the gun is Legal for SASS
It is not nor will be legal for NCOWS.

Major 2, not to be confrontational, but exactly what evidence do you have to support this statement? :)
If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you can read this in English, thank a Veteran!
COMNAVFORV, NRA life, SASS Life, TG, STORM Rider #36.
GAF

Offline Major 2

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2011, 06:24:40 PM »
which part ?

SASS part ? .... Henry Repeating Arms advertised it was CAS legal before it actually was...
Lobbied SASS for approval.
Offered paid advertisement in the Chronical and voila it was legal....

NCOWS Part ?... It is not nor will be legal for NCOWS It is listed in the Tally Book as a unapproved firearm..
I sit on the NCOWS Authenticity Committee.
It was unapproved before I was appointed, however I would have vetoed it had I been seated at the time.
As it is not a 19th. Century firearm nor does it replicate one.

Offline Grizzly Adams

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2011, 09:19:44 PM »
which part ?

SASS part ? .... Henry Repeating Arms advertised it was CAS legal before it actually was...
Lobbied SASS for approval.
Offered paid advertisement in the Chronical and voila it was legal....

The SASS part. :)  Lots of folks pay for advertising in the CC.  That hardly amounts to paying a "royalty" or "prostitution."  The decision was made, much to my horror and shock, by the Territorial Governors.  I was there....... :'(

I am no big fan of the Big Boy, or the HRRC's advertising, but to suggest that SASS approval was based on some kind of pay off, is inaccurate.  It was done by a vote by the TGs who represent their membership.  The HRRC is an American gun manufacturer, and I think that's what carried the day.

In any case, I am sure you and I have more to agree on regarding this subject than we have disagreement! :)  
If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you can read this in English, thank a Veteran!
COMNAVFORV, NRA life, SASS Life, TG, STORM Rider #36.
GAF

Offline Major 2

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2011, 11:59:34 PM »

"It was done by a vote by the TGs who represent their membership.  The HRRC is an American gun manufacturer, and I think that's what carried the day. "

very well  :-\

The fact that Henry Repeating Arms launched an advertising campaign stating it was SASS approved well before the Territorial Governors vote, leads one to think of some kind of pre-known outcome ....
Course, false and misleading advetisement is use to trace the Big Boy's roots to Tyler B. Henry.

"In any case, I am sure you and I have more to agree on regarding this subject than we have disagreement!"

I'll accept that  :)

Offline mr phil

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2011, 12:46:26 AM »
About two years ago when I decided to start shooting Cowboy I purchased a Henry Big Boy in 357. I was happy that it was made in the USA and like others I believed because of their advertising that it was the same makers of the original Henry. It was a very nice shooting rifle and seemed to be well made. I was very upset when I learned that their statements about their history were really intentionally misleading. I still used it in local SASS matches, but as soon as I came across a deal on a Urberti 1860 in 44-40 I snapped her up.That rifle is the one in my profile pic. I just love to shoot her.  ;D Then this spring my local gun shop had a beautiful 73 with a checkered stock and a 30 inch barrel in 45 cal which is what my rugers eat. I traded that Big Boy in a heartbeat. He gave my a real good trade in so I am very happy.
Next on my list is a 66.  I think the 60 and the 66's are so darn pretty. 
Fidgety Phil

Offline Buffalo Creek Law Dog

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2011, 10:09:25 AM »
I have a Rossi '92, Chaparral '66, and a Marlin '94 CB all in .357 however, I used my Henry Big Boy in .357 exclusively at the Canadian Championships and the SASS Canadian Championships this year. It is slick right out of the box and the point of aim is excellent for me and it will shoot .38s and .357s  plus, all the empties land just to the right of my right foot. :)
SASS 66621
BOLD 678
AFS 43
NFA
ABPA

Offline SGT John Chapman

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2011, 03:23:51 PM »
And that being said a good friend of mine decided to get one and try it,......it jamed at least twice a stage with everything he fed it,......
Regards,
Sgt Chapman

##**EXTREME WARTHOG**##
            ~~GAF #143~~
               **SCORRS**
             ~*RATS #165*~

Offline rickk

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2011, 07:20:34 PM »
SGT John,

If his Big Boy jams, all he needs to do is call Henry repeating arms company.

Anthony himself will more than likely answer the phone, and he will make it better.

Controversy aside, the quality is good, and the reputation of the manufacturer for standing behind the rifles is hard to compare with.

Rick

Offline SGT John Chapman

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: September 01, 2011, 07:05:51 AM »
I think the rifle in question was sold off/traded off long ago......
Regards,
Sgt Chapman

##**EXTREME WARTHOG**##
            ~~GAF #143~~
               **SCORRS**
             ~*RATS #165*~

Offline Major 2

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: September 01, 2011, 08:46:48 AM »
The Henry name (Tyler B Henry ) had passed into the public domain as I understand it.
Winchester had long since vacated it.

So it was legal to claim and Brand so Lou Imperato founded Henry Repeating Arms Co.
It had the same NY base address as his former company which brought us the 3rd Gen. BP Colts.

Henry Repeating Arms Co. boast 100% American made and American products (I:E: American Black Walnut & and steel from Pittsburg Foundries.
Which is a fine thing, I'm all for USA Job sourcing.

However, I presonally find them sorta butt ugly and not a true reproduction of anything.

Offline rickk

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: September 08, 2011, 07:20:16 PM »
It would be cool if the gun itself could be separated from the overzealous marketing campaign that was used to introduce it.

The marketing campaign doesn't work for most people, but the gun itself is SASS legal and does work.

Offline Major 2

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: September 08, 2011, 08:21:22 PM »
Steel Horse Bailey and I were over at the Indy Speedway today....amoung the famous cars most the actual 500 winners from
30's late 40's 50 60 70 etc and thur 2009.

In a class case are two Big Boys all gleaming in gold plate and lazer print , they are 100th anniversary commemorative.
I guess these were donated,  :-\ I'm not sure what HRA is offering them for.

I think I'll surf the web and see  ::)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com