73 shoots high..

Started by Cash Creek, July 03, 2011, 08:13:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cash Creek

My Ubreti 73 shoot about 6 inches high, and I can't lower the back sight it's down as far as it will go, do they make a front sight that is higher or do I have to build the one I have up???..
Hiram Ranger #100, Westside Sportsmen Club, NCOWS 3395, SASS 90169, NRA, Col. Bishop's Renegades... Cowgirls are like barbed wire...handle with care.

Marshal Deadwood

http://www.buffaloarms.com/Products.aspx?CAT=4087

The sights get progressively taller as you go from page one to page two to page three,,etc.

I put one of the 'ivory' (I'm sure it's not real ivory but it is nice) on my '73win.

MD

Cash Creek

Thanks Deadwood, now I have another question do you know the height of the front sight as it comes from the factory on a Ubreti Winchester 73 ??? I need one that is a little higher.. I looked on the internet and can't find it..As you can tell I'm NOT a gunsmith.. :o
Hiram Ranger #100, Westside Sportsmen Club, NCOWS 3395, SASS 90169, NRA, Col. Bishop's Renegades... Cowgirls are like barbed wire...handle with care.

River City John

What caliber and what weight bullet are you shooting?
RCJ
"I was born by the river in a little tent, and just like the river I've been running ever since." - Sam Cooke
"He who will not look backward with reverence, will not look forward with hope." - Edmund Burke
". . .freedom is not everything or the only thing, perhaps we will put that discovery behind us and comprehend, before it's too late, that without freedom all else is nothing."- G. Warren Nutter
NCOWS #L146
GAF #275

Cash Creek

45lc 200 grain  5.7 trail Boss.

River City John

Try a 250gr before changing sights.

RCJ
"I was born by the river in a little tent, and just like the river I've been running ever since." - Sam Cooke
"He who will not look backward with reverence, will not look forward with hope." - Edmund Burke
". . .freedom is not everything or the only thing, perhaps we will put that discovery behind us and comprehend, before it's too late, that without freedom all else is nothing."- G. Warren Nutter
NCOWS #L146
GAF #275

Cash Creek

I give the 250 a try..thanks..

Coal Creek Griff

I had the same issue with my 44 WCF a few years ago.  My factory sight on my 20" barrel rifle was .38" high.  I tried a sight that was .410", but it was still not high enough.  I can't recall the exact height that I ended up with (and I don't want to take it off the gun to check).  If you need it, I'll try to find out the exact sight I'm using.

CC Griff
Manager, WT Ranch--Coal Creek Division

BOLD #921
BOSS #196
1860 Henry Rifle Shooter #173
SSS #573

Cash Creek

CC Griff:
  I'm going to take it to a gunsmith Tuesday, I'm sure he has had this happen before, I will tell him to put one on high enough...I can always raise the back sight to get it right..thanks
Then maybe I can shoot a clean match... ;D

Cash Creek

Gunsmith said call Uberti..so now I need a new Gunsmith also..

Snakebite

Cash. I had to put a 0.500 tall one on one of my 73s for the same reason.
Not too hard to change out. Had to use a pc of brass and hit the snot out of
it with a hammer.
I can give you info on where I got mine if you like.

Goody

How high is gonna depend on what sort of sight picture you prefer, but the .5 that Snakebite mentions would be a good shot at it. As for changing, you don't need a smith for that. A small hammer and something softer than the steel in the barrel will drive the old one out. I've used a hard wood dowel, a piece of delren is really good if you can find it. Even a brass dowel available from the local hobby shop. Just remember that the dovetail is tapered and will only go one way. As you hold the rifle in a shooting position the sight will drift out towards the right, the loading port side of the gun. The new sight will tap in from the same side. You can get real close eyeballing it, then take your drift and hammer toi the next trip to the range for any fine tuning.

Cole Bluesteele

Cash,

No one has mentioned the little screw in the Uberti front sight.  be sure to loosen it and the front sight before you tap it out of the dovetail.

Te

Cash Creek

Snakebite:

Deadwood sent me this website..but there are so many I don't know where to start, and I don't find anything about them fitting a Uberti 73..
http://www.buffaloarms.com/Products.aspx?CAT=4087

Where did you get your from???
Thanks CC

Sir Charles deMouton-Black

I know from experience that the Browning designed leverguns, the '86 & '92, shoot LOWER as the power of the load rises.  Unless you are settled on the load, try a bit more powder and see if the POI drops.

I can't recall how the '73 reacts to power changes.  If you are settled on your load, change the sights.
NCOWS #1154, SCORRS, STORM, BROW, 1860 Henry, Dirty Rat 502, CHINOOK COUNTRY
THE SUBLYME & HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT (SHOTS)
Those who are no longer ignorant of History may relive it,
without the Blood, Sweat, and Tears.
With apologies to George Santayana & W. S. Churchill

"As Mark Twain once put it, "History doesn't repeat itself, but it does rhyme."

Snakebite

I used one of the grabber sights from Longhunter.
Here is the link.

http://www.longhunt.com/gunparts/grabber.htm

Cash Creek

More question..I'm sure The Grabber sight will fix my gun from shooting high, but is it NCOWS legal?????????

The book says
"Sights for all firearms shall be of original design or configuration".

Irish Dave

Not really familiar with The Grabber. Would have to check on it, but my gut says probably not.
Dave Scott aka Irish Dave
NCOWS Marshal Retired
NCOWS Senator and Member 132-L
Great Lakes Freight & Mining Co.
SASS 5857-L
NRA Life

irishdave5857@aol.com

Cash Creek

Order a new sight today..  :) it's got to look better that the one I made to see how much higher it had to be, I tape a piece of a nail  :o to the top of the sight I have now and I shot 4 shot that are about 1/2 inch off to the high side, and 1 inch off to the right side,  ;D maybe I could just paint the tape and nail black and no one would notice... :-X

Tjackstephens

Cash, Do you want me to bring my yellowboy to the Green river shoot? It shoots dead on with 200 grain 45's loaded with 4.8 grains of clays? You are welcome to use it, or I'll just bring it for your back up, if you wish.Tj
Texas Jack Stephens:   NRA, NCOWS #2312,  SASS # 12303, Hiram's Ranger #22,  GAF #641, USFA-CSS # 185, BOSS# 174,  Hartford Lodge 675, Johnson County Rangers,  Green River Gunslingers, Col. Bishop's Renegades, Kentucky Col.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com