Author Topic: New AMC Western - Hell on Wheels  (Read 37440 times)

Offline Trinity

• AKA the Chicory Kid
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Here's to Miss AnnieLee!
    • Trinity aka Chicory Kid Rides
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: New AMC Western - Hell on Wheels
« Reply #20 on: July 17, 2011, 09:51:18 PM »
Thanks Triple W for posting this.  I don't watch much TV and was not aware of this.  I'll be tuning in for sure!
"Finest partner I ever had.  Cleans his paws and buries his leavin's.  Lot more than some folks I know."

"I fumbled through my closet for my clothes, And found my cleanest dirty shirt" - K.Kristofferson

Online Mogorilla

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3306
  • GAF #: 883
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 109
« Reply #21 on: November 09, 2011, 12:10:54 PM »
Kind of a BTT and just curious if anyone watched it Sunday night?  I recorded it and have seen about 20 minutes of it and not bad. 

Offline Leo Tanner

• RATS #401 STORM 330
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Life is Good
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: November 09, 2011, 01:49:01 PM »
My wife saw it but I had a long day and fell asleep.  She said it was pert near good, I was hoping they would do an encore before next Sunday.
"When you have to shoot, shoot.  Don't talk."
     Tuco--The Good the Bad and the Ugly

"First comes smiles, then lies.  Last is gunfire."
     Roland Deschain

"Every man steps in the manure now an again, trick is not ta stick yer foot in yer mouth afterward"

religio SENIOR est exordium of scientia : tamen fossor contemno sapientia quod instruction.

Advertising

« Reply #23 on: Today at 07:06:08 PM »

Offline John Smith

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: November 09, 2011, 02:10:08 PM »
They are going to have encore showings Thur, Fri, and Sat.  I don't know what times though.  You can also see it on line.

Offline joec

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: November 09, 2011, 02:39:48 PM »
They are going to have encore showings Thur, Fri, and Sat.  I don't know what times though.  You can also see it on line.

It has 3 listings before the next episode Sunday. Those would be:

Sat 11/19 at 10PM
Sun 11/20 at 2 AM
Sun 11/20 at 8 AM.

All are shown on DirecTV on channel 254.
Joe
NCOWS 3384

Offline Leo Tanner

• RATS #401 STORM 330
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Life is Good
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: November 09, 2011, 03:22:05 PM »
Thanks guys.  I have sudden link but I will check the scedual on AMC.  'Preciate the heads up.

Roland Deschain

"Every man steps in the manure now an again, trick is not ta stick yer foot in yer mouth afterward"

religio SENIOR est exordium of scientia : tamen fossor contemno sapientia quod instruction.

Offline Sam Cobra

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: November 09, 2011, 03:23:35 PM »
I watched it and enjoyed it though it did have some cliche's in there   ;)  

of course I usually start my morning with a huge mug of coffee and a Have Gun Will Travel episode  ;D

Offline Mako

• Shooter of the "holy Black", Frontier Gunfighter #1, STORM, Henry 1860
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Cowboying since the Mid-20th Century
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 8
« Reply #27 on: November 09, 2011, 03:26:15 PM »
We have a discussion concerning the firearms used on the show going over on The Darksider's Den. I know some of you check over there or are regular members on that board as well, but for those of you that don't, come on over and check it out.

http://www.cascity.com/forumhall/index.php/topic,40582.msg512929.html#msg512929

Regards,
Mako
A brace of 1860s, a Yellowboy Saddle Rifle and a '78 Pattern Colt Scattergun
MCA, MCIA, MOAA, MCL, SMAS, ASME, SAME, BMES

Offline Steel Horse Bailey

• Jeff "Steel Horse Bailey" - BP Warthog & C&B Shooter
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • A Master of the Sublime & Holy Order or the Soot
  • SASS #: 27463
  • NCOWS #: 1919
  • Liked:
« Reply #28 on: November 13, 2011, 02:55:45 AM »
(As if I were a glutton for punishment ... ) I'll say this - I saw the pilot last night (thanks AMC, for re-running it before tonight's new episode) and I give it a B for effort.

It has something of a dark look, similar to Deadwood, but the language doesn't curl your hair!  I won't go into the authenticity issues brought up on the other board that Mako linked to, but overall it looked decent.

And better (IMHO) than the current rage of horror shows and the like!  Like Ol' Gabe, I really enjoy Wes Studi and everything I've seen him in. 

The way I understand it, the character portrayed by Colm Meany is the only figure from real-life.  I don't know about how accurate his portrayal is, but I can see a dastardly figure like he portrays could have existed.  His scheme of milking the Government for his "$16,000 per mile of track laid" might have happened in those days of limited communication and such.  He's a REAL S.O.B. and quite the schemer.

Watch it for entertainment if you want, NOT for a possible history lesson!

Del (Glen) while I enjoy my cable TV more than you, I'll agree that it isn't wonderful and your 90% figure just might be a little HIGH some times!
 ;)

"May Your Powder always be Dry and Black; Your Smoke always White; and Your Flames Always Light the Way to Eternal Shooting Fulfillment !"

Offline Cash Creek

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • In GOD we trust..all others cash only..
  • Liked:
« Reply #29 on: November 13, 2011, 05:47:11 AM »
Just set the VDR to record the show it on with two differ shows today one at 7 AM and the other at 9 PM..
Hiram Ranger #100, Westside Sportsmen Club, NCOWS 3395, SASS 90169, NRA, Col. Bishop's Renegades... Cowgirls are like barbed wire…handle with care.

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #30 on: November 13, 2011, 09:05:36 AM »
Jeff, I also watched it last night, partly being really curious, partly thanks to a bug that had me down.  Since I'm not that big on TV I watched it on my old 17 or what ever CRT TV in my workshop, the one wife and kids got me for Christmas about 15 years ago.  (I think it was a Black Friday special) 

Trust me, I know a lot are going to complain/whine about the guns in it, that's OK, but I'm guessing those that do that's about how far their knowledge of history really goes, I saw some much bigger flaws that the guns. ;D

As for the TV network and their self proclaimed "experts" I must say, one it was much better than sending Little Joe to go fetch the 92 Winny with the forearm removed and the receiver spray painted gold. ;D  The other, coment on that, is it's TV, you can have another pair of those experts free if you just pay shipping and handling. ;)

As for the PC of it, see the UP building started from Omaha, not Council Bluff Iowa, no sense in building a couple miles of track that ended in the bluffs east of town or at the river which would have no bridge for years and was still a ways off from a connection to the east.   

Can't figure out why they were blasting on fairly level ground with no rock. 

Have no idea why the surveyer and his wife were working on that steep hill since they built it on the flat going up creek drainage's in Nebraska, remember it all had to be built on a 1% grade, you went around hills not over them. 

Why neither boss caught that the workers were using pickaxes  on already soft and dug up soil is beyond me, it also appeared they'd dug the grade far below the 1% or less there.

I would like to know how the Congressman got 50,000 acres to speculate on that Durant was able to scare him saying he'd go around it and miss it.

For a moment I thought the Blacks were going to sing Camptown Races and somebody was gonna get whacked with a shovel. ;D

OH, the term "Hell On Wheels" wasn't used till the winter 0f 1865-1866 when they were stopped near North Platte Nebraska.

Beyond that, since I don't expect anything like that to be anywhere near historically correct. (Yeah right, folks complain the pilot was slow when it's not PC ::))  I thought it was one of the best thing I've seen come out on the networks for an awful long time.  But that's like saying one of our locally owned steakhouses that sell prime Nebraska beef is better than McDonalds or Burger King. ;)

I left the DVR set up to record the series or at least for now I did.

Mongrel Historian

Always get the water for the coffee upstream from the herd.

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

The time has passed so quick, the years all run together now.

Offline Leo Tanner

• RATS #401 STORM 330
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Life is Good
  • Liked:
« Reply #31 on: November 13, 2011, 12:09:58 PM »
i caught it last night too.  They put Open Range on before it and I enjoyed watching both on a lazy evening.  Gonna try ta stay up for the second one, got no DVR an I gotta be up early. 

Roland Deschain

Offline Dollysdad

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #32 on: November 29, 2011, 03:40:37 PM »
My wife and I both enjoy the show. Yeah, it could be more accurate but at least it is a western, not a cop, lawyer, doctor, brain-dead "comedy" or so called reality show!  If it is a success perhaps it will help created  a demand for more westerns on tv or the silver screen and perhaps some of them will be more PC.

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #33 on: November 29, 2011, 05:23:31 PM »
My wife and I both enjoy the show. Yeah, it could be more accurate but at least it is a western, not a cop, lawyer, doctor, brain-dead "comedy" or so called reality show!  If it is a success perhaps it will help created  a demand for more westerns on tv or the silver screen and perhaps some of them will be more PC.

Well said, I've only watched the pilot so far but have them recorded.  Just been to busy with other things to sit down and really watch it.
Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #34 on: November 30, 2011, 02:40:00 AM »
Well said, I've only watched the pilot so far but have them recorded.  Just been to busy with other things to sit down and really watch it.

What??!!?  Real Life interrupting your cable TV experience?

Perish the thought!

Now that your roof is done maybe you can catch up.  I think the last episode shown was #4.  As so well spoken by Mr. Dolly, it beats the Hell out of most of the other shows, especially the not-really- reality shows and the situation comedies of no worth.  It is sooooooo true -what Bruce Springsteen wrote in one of his songs, only worse: 

"57 channels and nuthin's on ... "

(Apologies if it wasn't Bruce, but y'all get the idea!)

"May Your Powder always be Dry and Black; Your Smoke always White; and Your Flames Always Light the Way to Eternal Shooting Fulfillment !"

Online Mogorilla

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3306
  • GAF #: 883
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 109
« Reply #35 on: November 30, 2011, 06:53:36 AM »
I am two behind, but have enjoyed the first two episodes.  Looking to catch up this weekend.   Since I am a chemist, I have to say that Big Bang Theory is the best show on television, but this one is getting right up there!

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #36 on: November 30, 2011, 08:04:16 AM »

What??!!?  Real Life interrupting your cable TV experience?

Perish the thought!

I know, a lot of the world would not let that happen.  I get a lot of them on my Labrador Retriever board, you show them a picture of something you've made and they whine they wish they had time to do stuff like that, at the same time they are in three different threads about three different TV shows they watched last night. ::)

BTW the new loading bench is getting about done. ;)
Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #37 on: November 30, 2011, 11:27:19 AM »
I know, a lot of the world would not let that happen.  I get a lot of them on my Labrador Retriever board, you show them a picture of something you've made and they whine they wish they had time to do stuff like that, at the same time they are in three different threads about three different TV shows they watched last night. ::)

BTW the new loading bench is getting about done. ;)

Cool!

As always, your pictures documenting the build are both requested and welcome!

Offline Leo Tanner

• RATS #401 STORM 330
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Life is Good
  • Liked:
« Reply #38 on: November 30, 2011, 12:42:30 PM »
Durring the last one they showed an ad for another new western series, but I don't recall the name.  Should be out in February.  It looks perty good as well. 

Roland Deschain

Offline Tjackstephens

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #39 on: November 30, 2011, 02:02:49 PM »
I watch very little tv. Tuesday night is NCIS. Wednesday is outdoor channel. Roy Rogers on RFD and now Hell on Wheels. Also watch the westerns when they are on.  I like Hell on Wheels. Don't care if it's not 100% PC, sure beats about every thing else that's on the tube. Tj
Texas Jack Stephens:   NRA, NCOWS #2312,  SASS # 12303, Hiram's Ranger #22,  GAF #641, USFA-CSS # 185, BOSS# 174,  Hartford Lodge 675, Johnson County Rangers,  Green River Gunslingers, Col. Bishop's Renegades, Kentucky Col.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com