Author Topic: James Arness  (Read 2861 times)

Offline Cash Creek

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • In GOD we trust..all others cash only..
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
James Arness
« on: June 03, 2011, 11:28:35 PM »

James Arness

James Arness, the towering actor best known for portraying Marshal Matt Dillon, the strong and commanding symbol of frontier justice on the landmark TV Western series "Gunsmoke," died Friday. He was 88.

Arness died of natural causes at his home in Brentwood, family spokesperson Ginny Fazer said.

"Gunsmoke" debuted on CBS on Sept. 10, 1955, and, with the start of "The Life and Legend of Wyatt Earp" on ABC four days earlier, a new era in television horse operas was launched: the adult Western. Whereas "Wyatt Earp" ended its run in 1961, "Gunsmoke" ran until 1975, far outdistancing its many competitors and becoming one of the longest-running prime-time series in network TV history.
Hiram Ranger #100, Westside Sportsmen Club, NCOWS 3395, SASS 90169, NRA, Col. Bishop's Renegades... Cowgirls are like barbed wire…handle with care.

Offline Tjackstephens

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Re: James Arness
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2011, 09:09:57 AM »
Cash Creek, I always loved Gunsmoke. James Arness was a very good actor. Saw him on a WW 2 movie the other night, think it was about the 101 during WW2. From what I have read he had quite a war record. Still see Gunsmoke on cable. Tj
Texas Jack Stephens:   NRA, NCOWS #2312,  SASS # 12303, Hiram's Ranger #22,  GAF #641, USFA-CSS # 185, BOSS# 174,  Hartford Lodge 675, Johnson County Rangers,  Green River Gunslingers, Col. Bishop's Renegades, Kentucky Col.

Offline River City John

• NCOWS Senator
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Mr. & Mrs. John Covert
  • NCOWS #: L-146
  • GAF #: 275
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 484
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2011, 03:57:06 PM »
The first movie that scared the bejeebers out of me, that I had to go crawl into bed with Mom and Dad, was the original The Thing.

James Arness played the title role.

RCJ
"I was born by the river in a little tent, and just like the river I've been running ever since." - Sam Cooke
"He who will not look backward with reverence, will not look forward with hope." - Edmund Burke
". . .freedom is not everything or the only thing, perhaps we will put that discovery behind us and comprehend, before it's too late, that without freedom all else is nothing."- G. Warren Nutter
NCOWS #L146
GAF #275

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 04:36:22 PM »

Offline Tjackstephens

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2011, 04:22:36 PM »
I think the movie about the 101 was Battleground. Tj
Texas Jack Stephens:   NRA, NCOWS #2312,  SASS # 12303, Hiram's Ranger #22,  GAF #641, USFA-CSS # 185, BOSS# 174,  Hartford Lodge 675, Johnson County Rangers,  Green River Gunslingers, Col. Bishop's Renegades, Kentucky Col.

Offline Johnny McCrae

• Bristol Plains Pistoleros, Sweetwater Regulators
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • The older the violin, the finer the music
    • Johnny McCrae
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 281
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2011, 12:00:37 PM »
James Arness did a great job on "Gunsmoke". It was one of my favorite TV westerns.

I saw "The Thing" with James Arness when I was ten years old. It was dark when the movie let out and I ran all of the way home. I still get chills when I think of "The Thing's" severed arm moving on the table.
You need to learn to like all the little everday things like a sip of good whiskey, a soft bed, a glass of buttermilk,  and a feisty old gentleman like myself

Offline TwoWalks Baldridge

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2011, 12:29:50 PM »
James Arness was one of my all time favorite western actors.  What has shocked me the most about his passing, is the lack of news coverage.  Since Friday, I have not heard on one major news outlet any mention of his passing, is it possible that I just missed it?  I did see where "Doctor Death" Jack Kevorkian died and there was a good 30 minutes of coverage on CNN as well as a whole history on 3 of my local news shows.
When guns are banned, fear the man with a hammer

Offline Deadeye Dick

• Top Active Citizen
  • Deadeye & His Belle
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2011, 12:51:42 PM »
http://www.cbsnews.com/video/watch/?id=7368351n&tag=mncol;lst;1
CBS Sunday Morning also had a video on James Arness

Deadeye Dick
NRA LIFE, NCOWS #3270, BLACK POWDER WARTHOG, STORM #254,
  DIRTY RATS #411, HENRY #139, PM KEIZER LODGE #219  AF&AM

Offline Steel Horse Bailey

• Jeff "Steel Horse Bailey" - BP Warthog & C&B Shooter
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • A Master of the Sublime & Holy Order or the Soot
  • SASS #: 27463
  • NCOWS #: 1919
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2011, 10:14:52 PM »
I have his autobiography.  It's a VERY interesting read.

God bless, and Rest in Peace.
"May Your Powder always be Dry and Black; Your Smoke always White; and Your Flames Always Light the Way to Eternal Shooting Fulfillment !"

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com