Author Topic: California NCOWS Membership?  (Read 6242 times)

Offline TwoWalks Baldridge

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
California NCOWS Membership?
« on: May 31, 2011, 05:50:51 PM »
I live in Central California and have been looking at and into NCOWS for a few months now.  This past weekend I went to a good sized CAS shoot in Railroad Flat California and had a great time.  While I was there I seen a few folks that were members of NCOWS.  For a number of reasons, I did not get a chance to talk too any of them so that brings me to my question:

There is only one club, the Hat Creek Regulators out of Bakersfield California for all the west coast states according to the NCOWS Posse map.  What are the advantages of membership when there are no local clubs?
When guns are banned, fear the man with a hammer

Offline WaddWatsonEllis

• Watt and Wadd Watson Ellis
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Howdy, Pardner! Sacramento, Ca here ....
  • Liked:
Re: California NCOWS Membership?
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2011, 06:47:35 PM »
TwoWalks,

I live in Sacramento, and hope to get down to the Hat Creek Regulators someday for a shoot ....
In between, I have a whole campsite to make up and an identity to choose.

But I figure that the cost is at least worth the Shootist if nothing else ....
My moniker is my great grandfather's name. He served with the 2nd Florida Mounted Regiment in the Civil War. Afterward, he came home, packed his wife into a wagon, and was one of the first NorteAmericanos on the Frio River southwest of San Antonio ..... Kinda where present day Dilley is ...

"Courage is being scared to death and saddling up anyway." John Wayne
NCOWS #3403

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2011, 10:53:07 AM »
TwoWalks,

I live in Sacramento, and hope to get down to the Hat Creek Regulators someday for a shoot ....
In between, I have a whole campsite to make up and an identity to choose.

But I figure that the cost is at least worth the Shootist if nothing else ....

Wadd, thanks for the reply.  Like yourself, I look forward to getting down Bakersfield way and hooking up with thee Hat Creek Regulators.  Of course I had better do it pretty soon, I am not getting any younger.

I finally found this on the NCOWS site and it answers my question.

"We believe that the greatest benefit in joining the National Congress of Old West
Shootists is in becoming part of a group of good people interested in the same things you are.
Additional benefits ofNCOWS membership include:

•The critically-acclaimed bi-monthly magazine, The Shootist, to keep you up-to-date on
NCOWS events, news, new products, articles on weapons and clothing, poetry and fiction,
and much more. The Shootist was the first magazine to be devoted solely to Western Action
Shooting. For a complementary copy, drop us a note, call, or e-mail us.

•$1 ,000,000 broad-based liability insurance while participating in official NCOWS events.

•An official NCOWS logo lapel pin and logo decal.

•A copy of The Tally Book, the official NCOWS rules and regulations, including full
details on appropriate weapons, clothing and accouterments.

•The opportunity to fully participate in a democratic, non-profit organization run for
western enthusiasts by western enthusiasts."

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 04:42:14 PM »

Offline RickB

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Black Jack
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2011, 03:34:58 PM »
Never forget that you can find a few pards and start your own posse. If memory serves me it only takes 3 or 4 people to form a posse. That way you can bring your friends into the sport and get some local action going. Find a place to shoot and work with them on setting up some shoots. Look into the NCOWS rules for what it takes.

Hope this helps.  :)
Ride Safe and Shoot Straight.
Rick.

Offline WaddWatsonEllis

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2011, 04:26:19 PM »
Okay,

RickB has broached a question that I have been meaning to ask.

Although I will probably rarely (if ever) get to shoot with them, I, like my great Gradnfather Wadd Watson Ellis I, am a member of the Florida 'Cracker ' Cow Cavalry, and I  do not wish to loose this connection.

If a NorCal possee were started, can I be a member of two NCOWS clubs at the same time?
My moniker is my great grandfather's name. He served with the 2nd Florida Mounted Regiment in the Civil War. Afterward, he came home, packed his wife into a wagon, and was one of the first NorteAmericanos on the Frio River southwest of San Antonio ..... Kinda where present day Dilley is ...

NCOWS #3403

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2011, 05:58:30 PM »
Thanks RickB, I started looking into that direction today.  Having past the 65 year mark, the added work is probably not something I need, but then perhaps I need it more than I think ... time will tell.

Wadd, today while reading, each posse sets its own requirements for membership, so I do not see why a person could not belong too two different posses, so it will be interesting to see the answer from the higher powers on this one.

Offline River City John

• NCOWS Senator
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Mr. & Mrs. John Covert
  • NCOWS #: L-146
  • GAF #: 275
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 484
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2011, 06:02:00 PM »
Wadd, yes, but you will need to declare a 'home posse' for insurance purposes.
"I was born by the river in a little tent, and just like the river I've been running ever since." - Sam Cooke
"He who will not look backward with reverence, will not look forward with hope." - Edmund Burke
". . .freedom is not everything or the only thing, perhaps we will put that discovery behind us and comprehend, before it's too late, that without freedom all else is nothing."- G. Warren Nutter
NCOWS #L146
GAF #275

Offline Pancho Peacemaker

• NCOWS Texican Senator
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #3120, SASS #75813
    • Pancho's Videos
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2011, 06:57:04 PM »

If a NorCal possee were started, can I be a member of two NCOWS clubs at the same time?

I am.  Many of our Texas members hold dual membership in the Peacemakers and the Sharpshooters.

I know a group is trying to form a posse down near Houston.  I'll likely join their ranks as well.
NRA - Life
NRA-ILA
TSRA - Life
S&W Collectors Association

"A vote is like a rifle: its usefulness depends upon the character of the user."
-T. Roosevelt (1858 - 1919)

Offline RickB

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Black Jack
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2011, 07:39:31 PM »
I'm not sure there is a limit to how many posses you can be a member of. At least I have never heard there was.
Ride Safe and Shoot Straight.
Rick.

Offline Irish Dave

• Retired Marshal
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2011, 10:25:25 AM »

You are naturally free to join as many posses as you wish, NCOWS encourages our members to support one another whenever possible.

As has been mentioned, however, when it comes to establishing member numbers for posse insurance purposes, you can be counted on only one posse... a "home" posse if you will.

Dave Scott aka Irish Dave
NCOWS Marshal Retired
NCOWS Senator and Member 132-L
Great Lakes Freight & Mining Co.
SASS 5857-L
NRA Life

irishdave5857@aol.com

Offline Books OToole

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Michael Tatham
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 91
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2011, 11:05:43 AM »
TwoWalks;

I tried to respond to your PM but the system does not recognize your name.  I tried eliminating the " " marks, the comma, etc. Nothing would work.  Anyway...

I will be leaving for the NCOWS National Match on Saturday and will spend the week there.  When I get back I will send you a Hooplehead's Guide to starting an NCOWS Posse.

Books  
G.I.L.S.

K.V.C.
N.C.O.W.S. 2279 - Senator
Hiram's Rangers C-3
G.A.F. 415
S.F.T.A.

Offline Tascosa Joe

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 2770
  • NCOWS #: L-168
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 11
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2011, 12:28:27 PM »
I am like Pancho, My home posse is the Berger Sharp Shooters in Texas, but I am also a member of the Saluda Saddle Tramps in SC.  Email Cole Bluesteele.  He has set up 2 NCOWS posse's of late.  Good luck to you folks setting up a posse out in gold rush country.
NRA Life, TSRA Life, NCOWS  Life

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2011, 12:36:06 PM »
TwoWalks;

I tried to respond to your PM but the system does not recognize your name.  I tried eliminating the " " marks, the comma, etc. Nothing would work.  Anyway...

I will be leaving for the NCOWS National Match on Saturday and will spend the week there.  When I get back I will send you a Hooplehead's Guide to starting an NCOWS Posse.

Books  

Books, much appreciated.  I forgot ... (symptom of age) ... I think my original user name on this forum is Flap jack.  ;D

Offline WaddWatsonEllis

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2011, 08:07:23 PM »
Books,

I had a similar problem trying to brin him up... so I just press on his name and 'Send a PM' on the profile page ....

And well met, Two Walks ... did you get the PM?

NCOWS #3403

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2011, 08:25:20 PM »
Books,

I had a similar problem trying to brin him up... so I just press on his name and 'Send a PM' on the profile page ....

And well met, Two Walks ... did you get the PM?

thats a negative .. probably not delivering to me.  I think I need to reregister as TwoWalks Baldridge if I want to get any love letters delivered here.  ;D

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com