Stupid Question

Started by triple w, May 25, 2011, 10:17:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

triple w

I have a somewhat stupid question, are cap and ball weapons allowed in NCOWS ? ::)
BOLD# 986, STORM# 352,   The Winchester 1876 Society,
1860 Henry Rifle Shooters Roster #123, Spencer Shooting Society #318

Books OToole

Of course.

They even have their own class; if that is what you want.
[Pistoleer}

Books
G.I.L.S.

K.V.C.
N.C.O.W.S. 2279 - Senator
Hiram's Rangers C-3
G.A.F. 415
S.F.T.A.

Deadeye Dick

The only stupid question is the one unasked. Yes, cap and ball guns are allowed in NCOWS, but they must be period correct.
Deadeye Dick
NRA LIFE, NCOWS #3270, BLACK POWDER WARTHOG, STORM #254,
  DIRTY RATS #411, HENRY #139, PM KEIZER LODGE #219  AF&AM

triple w

Quote from: Books OToole on May 25, 2011, 10:20:42 AM
Of course.

They even have their own class; if that is what you want.
[Pistoleer}

Books

Thought so, but in reviewing the Aproved List I noticed only Cartridge guns were listed.

Thanks

Patrick Henry Brown

A peculiar anamoly about the approved weapons list and the cap and ball issue. Nonetheless, our Bylaws make provisions for the use of weapons not on the Approved List. Our Approved List and Disapproved List is not all encompassing. I've waged some very vocal discussions about this, later to realize my wasted effort and energy. Avoid any 1851 chambered in 44 caliber or brass framed. Likewise, avoid any brass framed Remington 1858's. Best bet is Colt 1851 clones in 36, 1860 Colts in 44, 1861 Colts in 36, Remington 1858's in 36 or 44, as long as all are steel framed. No questions with these. When you move to the brass frames, the burdon shifts to the shooter to document the authenticity of his selection. Good luck and good shooting. BTW, no dumb questions, except the ones not asked, as mentioned above. Godspeed.

Pancho Peacemaker

If you shoot C&B in NCOWS, you'll want to avoid the Ruger "Old Army" as it has no historic provenance.

BTW:  We see a fair number of C&B shooters at the NCOWS posses here in Texas.
NRA - Life
NRA-ILA
TSRA - Life
S&W Collectors Association

"A vote is like a rifle: its usefulness depends upon the character of the user."
-T. Roosevelt (1858 - 1919)

Sir Charles deMouton-Black

Here is an extract from the NCOWS Bylaws that sets out the general rule;

7-2. No modern (post 1899) firearms will be allowed unless they are authentic reproductions of traditional firearms or very markedly resemble traditional firearms. Traditional firearms are defined as those manufactured prior to or during the era 1865-1899 and in documented use on the North American Frontier within that time period. Center-fire calibers may substitute for original rim-fire calibers in reproduction firearms. Reproduction firearms chambered in calibers not utilized in original models shall be allowed as long as such calibers are original to the period or are otherwise approved by the National Congress of Old West Shootists. (Amended March, 2010)

Notice the key terms, "Traditional Firearms" and "Authentic reproductions".  This is the essence of the rule. The horsefly in the linament is the term "markedly resemble".

There was a VERY LONG thread recently that attempted to explain how it works, or doesn't work! If you are a member you can see it here;

http://www.cascity.com/forumhall/index.php/topic,36042.0.html
NCOWS #1154, SCORRS, STORM, BROW, 1860 Henry, Dirty Rat 502, CHINOOK COUNTRY
THE SUBLYME & HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT (SHOTS)
Those who are no longer ignorant of History may relive it,
without the Blood, Sweat, and Tears.
With apologies to George Santayana & W. S. Churchill

"As Mark Twain once put it, "History doesn't repeat itself, but it does rhyme."

Cherokee Bodie

Quote from: triple w on May 25, 2011, 10:17:26 AM
I have a somewhat stupid question, are cap and ball weapons allowed in NCOWS ? ::)

Its not a clear answer in the Tally Book but in my first NCOWS shoot I used an 1860 army C&B, Pedersoli percussion 10 gage Fowler, and a Henry rifle. Did a copy and paste from By-Law 10 and here it is. For my 2nd NCOWS I will shoot the same. What a blast.
Men's and Women's Pistoleer: Shooters are restricted to the use of percussion revolvers, pre-1873
percussion or original/authentic reproductions of rimfi re cartridge pocket pistols, exposed-hammer doublebarrel
shotguns (percussion or cartridge), and reproduction or original pre-1873 pistol-caliber repeating
rifl es (e.g. 1860 Henry, Spencer, 1866 Winchester, etc: Shooters must shoot blackpowder or approved
blackpowder substitute powder in all fi rearms except those chambered for rimfi re cartridges. Pistols and
revolvers must be shot one-handed. Pistoleer shooters will shoot the same course of fi re as the other
competitors except that in a stage requiring more than two shotgun rounds the Pistoleer shooter would not
be required to shoot the extra rounds.

Cliff Fendley

The Tally book is not clear about a lot of things. A new person has no idea what guns are used in many of the classes. It needs some serious work to make it clear for new shooters.
http://www.fendleyknives.com/

NCOWS 3345  RATS 576 NRA Life member

Johnson County Rangers

TwoWalks Baldridge

Quote from: Cliff Fendley on May 27, 2011, 07:15:32 AM
The Tally book is not clear about a lot of things. A new person has no idea what guns are used in many of the classes. It needs some serious work to make it clear for new shooters.

Amen Cliff ... As a new person looking into NCOWS, what I have seen reads like a lawyer wrote it and answers questions like a politician.   ;D
When guns are banned, fear the man with a hammer

triple w

Well, here she is, my new Ubetri 1851 "London" Navy. Now I get to make me another holster!  ;D

TW

Dr. Bob

Congrats!!

The Executive Committee is aware of the need to list percussion revolvers and discussion is under way.  I can't promise speedy resolution of this situation, but we are working toward some guidance for the NCOWS web site.
Regards, Doc
Dr. Bob Butcher,
NCOWS 2420, Senator
HR 4
GAF 405,
NRA Life,
KGC 8.
Warthog
Motto: Clean mind  -  Clean body,   Take your pick

bowiemaker

The rules and the Tally Book have been an ongoing point of confusion and frustration for me as a newcomer. For example; Duelist makes no mention of rifle or shotgun yet they are required. In fact, most shooting categories are not clear about the number or types of guns required. This seems like it could be pretty simpe fix to rewrite the rules with clearer definitions.

For shooting classes I would like to see clear definitions such as:

Men's and Women's Working Cowboy:
Required Guns: One pistol and one pistol caliber rifle
Powder: Smokeless or Black Powder cartridges
Pistol Grip: One or two hand
Specifics: No gun carts are to be used at any time.

If every shooting category had a simple heading like this it would eliminate a lot of confusion.
NCOWS #3405   RATS #612

wildman1

Quote from: bowiemaker on May 31, 2011, 01:28:08 PM
The rules and the Tally Book have been an ongoing point of confusion and frustration for me as a newcomer. For example; Duelist makes no mention of rifle or shotgun yet they are required. In fact, most shooting categories are not clear about the number or types of guns required. This seems like it could be pretty simpe fix to rewrite the rules with clearer definitions.

Men’s and Women’s Working Cowboy:

If every shooting category had a simple heading like this it would eliminate a lot of confusion.
I have to agree with you on that I think I actually had a clearer view before I tried to read the rules. WM
WARTHOG, Dirty Rat #600, BOLD #1056, CGCS,GCSAA, NMLRA, NRA, AF&AM, CBBRC.  If all that cowboy has ever seen is a stockdam, he ain't gonna believe ya when ya tell him about whales.

Pancho Peacemaker

Quote from: bowiemaker on May 31, 2011, 01:28:08 PM

Men's and Women's Working Cowboy:

Take a look about half way down this page:

http://www.bergersharpshooters.com/Rules_and_Regulations.html

It has a "chart" that was devised to help clear up the classes.

Feel free to copy and paste if needed.

NRA - Life
NRA-ILA
TSRA - Life

"A vote is like a rifle: its usefulness depends upon the character of the user."

bowiemaker

Quote from: Pancho Peacemaker on May 31, 2011, 02:08:08 PM
Take a look about half way down this page:

http://www.bergersharpshooters.com/Rules_and_Regulations.html

It has a "chart" that was devised to help clear up the classes.

Feel free to copy and paste if needed.

Pancho, that is a much clearer definition than is in the official rules. It needs to be incorporated into the NCOWS website where any interested party can easily find it.
NCOWS #3405   RATS #612

Dr. Bob

bowiemakerr,

That is a great idea.  I will take that to the Exec. Comm. too!  Thanks for everyone sharing ideas.  It's great to have others eyes looking and finding things that can be improved!
Regards, Doc
Dr. Bob Butcher,
NCOWS 2420, Senator
HR 4
GAF 405,
NRA Life,
KGC 8.
Warthog
Motto: Clean mind  -  Clean body,   Take your pick

Okefinokee Outlaw

Pancho,  Are your rules on the classes what would be stipulated at the Nationals?  I ask because several of the posses use 3 guns in place of the 4 guns at their local matches.

Pancho Peacemaker

Quote from: Okefinokee Outlaw on May 31, 2011, 02:44:30 PM
Pancho,  Are your rules on the classes what would be stipulated at the Nationals?  I ask because several of the posses use 3 guns in place of the 4 guns at their local matches.

The "class rules" on the BSS page were adopted based on current NCOWS class rules.  Those rules should be followed at all major NCOWS events, including the Nationals.

I know many posses have "local" class rules (i.e. Sod Buster, Range Detective, etc...)  These are fun and can have some good foundation in history.  However, those "local" rules should not be recoginzed at a major Regional or National NCOWS event.  The class structure that our NCOWS Congress votes on is the norm for the big matches.

Pancho
NRA - Life
NRA-ILA
TSRA - Life

bowiemaker

I think it is great that local posses try new classes like "sodbuster". If they work out and are popular they might be added as regular NCOWS classes.

However, I do not agree with changing the rules on established classes even at local shoots. It just adds to the confusion.
NCOWS #3405   RATS #612

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com