Author Topic: Main match rifle question  (Read 3770 times)

Offline Cherokee Reb

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Main match rifle question
« on: April 29, 2011, 05:33:04 AM »
I realize it's not terribly practical, but could an 1876 clone in , say, 40-60 or 45-75 be used as a main match rifle. Just wondering if the calibers would be considered too hot for the rifle targets.

CR
Member SASS,NCOWS and Knob Creek Regulators

Offline River City John

• NCOWS Senator
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Mr. & Mrs. John Covert
  • NCOWS #: L-146
  • GAF #: 275
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 484
Re: Main match rifle question
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2011, 07:46:43 AM »
By-Laws do state pistol calibre rifles. At a Regional or the National you'd be restricted to side matches for that model and chambering.
At a typical local monthly match, you may get dispensation on a case by case basis from your Judge.

We did have a Pard shoot his .40-65 '76 in our local match at BRR with no damage to targets. Very satisfying clang and clouds of BP smoke.

RCJ
"I was born by the river in a little tent, and just like the river I've been running ever since." - Sam Cooke
"He who will not look backward with reverence, will not look forward with hope." - Edmund Burke
". . .freedom is not everything or the only thing, perhaps we will put that discovery behind us and comprehend, before it's too late, that without freedom all else is nothing."- G. Warren Nutter
NCOWS #L146
GAF #275

Offline Pancho Peacemaker

• NCOWS Texican Senator
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #3120, SASS #75813
    • Pancho's Videos
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2011, 08:37:19 AM »
I realize it's not terribly practical, but could an 1876 clone in , say, 40-60 or 45-75 be used as a main match rifle. Just wondering if the calibers would be considered too hot for the rifle targets.

CR

Cherokee Reb,

Just to add to RCJ's excellent response:  Those heavy rifle calibers put alot of wear and tear on the mild steel targets we all use as main match targets, thus leading to early target failure.  This is the reason for the restriction to pistol caliber rounds for your main match rifle.

You do see some posse's set up "Cody/Dixon" classes where a shooter can fire their big bore rifle at specially designated long distance targets in place of the the usual main match targets.
NRA - Life
NRA-ILA
TSRA - Life
S&W Collectors Association

"A vote is like a rifle: its usefulness depends upon the character of the user."
-T. Roosevelt (1858 - 1919)

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 03:46:06 PM »

Offline Tascosa Joe

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 2770
  • NCOWS #: L-168
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 11
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2011, 08:56:55 AM »
We had a shooter shooting a Walker with 60 gr of BP and it made pretty big dents in the targets.  I would suppose a 45-60 with 35 gr of 2F and a round ball might work.  She might not chamber very well.

NRA Life, TSRA Life, NCOWS  Life

Offline Books OToole

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Michael Tatham
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 91
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2011, 10:14:05 AM »

CR

All of the above answers are correct.  However, you can apply for an exemption to use your .45-60 and it will be upto the Ranger Master.  The Range Master's decision will be based on whether or not he believes that the targets at the range will be damaged or not.

Books
G.I.L.S.

K.V.C.
N.C.O.W.S. 2279 - Senator
Hiram's Rangers C-3
G.A.F. 415
S.F.T.A.

Offline Cherokee Reb

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2011, 06:15:18 PM »
Thanks for all the responses. Finally noticed the "pistol caliber" note on the rifles. I've given up on SASS shooting. Not really in to trick guns and pushing the bounds of what is legal for a couple thousands of a second time advantage. Besides , NCOWS dresses better and has better shoots.
Been selling off extra guns to concentrate on shooting fewer better and had a chance to get a nice 1876 . I'm a sucker for the odd gun and thought it would be a fun shooter. Heck, for laughs I shoot a converted Walker in some matches and recently picked up a Garrett Arms Gemmer-Sharps for long range shooting.
See you at the range if the floods ever subside.

CR
Member SASS,NCOWS and Knob Creek Regulators

Offline pony express

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2011, 09:25:15 PM »
My local club has over the years replaced all of our mild steel home made targets with better grade ones, I have shot some stages with 45/70 "carbine loads"(45/55/405) with no damage. Did manage to knock one over, though,last match.

Offline Patrick Henry Brown

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2011, 03:58:19 PM »
Outside of the Pistoleer and Working Cowboy Catagories, where do the Bylaws specify "pistol-caliber"? Where is "main match rifle" clarified?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com