Author Topic: Question in regards to shooting distances  (Read 14267 times)

Offline joec

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Question in regards to shooting distances
« on: March 31, 2011, 12:24:08 PM »
I've yet to attend any NCOWS events and was wondering a bit about shooting distances, size of target etc. I figure a pistol about about 7 to 10 yards but no idea on a rifle or shotgun (coach length). Now my R92 is due back from Rossi probably here if not by Saturday at least Monday. So I would like to set the sights for the average distance it is expected to shoot at. Thanks for any input on this.
Joe
NCOWS 3384

Offline Patrick Henry Brown

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Re: Question in regards to shooting distances
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2011, 12:50:56 PM »
50 yd zero works for me just fine with my rifles. We shoot at ranges usually between 40-60 yds, with some occasional shots up to 125 yds at Tyler, Tx range. Our rifle targets are around 16" square, as are our pistol targets which we set between 10-20 yds -- usually closer to the later. Hope that helps.

Offline joec

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2011, 01:03:30 PM »
Thanks Preacher I will keep that in mind. 25 yards is the longest I can set up for at my local indoor range so guess I will set it up for that while figuring out how the sights effect distance. I don't have a lot of experience with long guns but do with all kinds of hand guns. Also the eye ( I only have one ) is getting old on me but then so am I.  ;D
Joe
NCOWS 3384

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 08:39:24 PM »

Offline Tjackstephens

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2011, 01:48:23 PM »
Pistol targets are 11 yards or better, depending on the size at West Side NCOWS shoots. Tj
Texas Jack Stephens:   NRA, NCOWS #2312,  SASS # 12303, Hiram's Ranger #22,  GAF #641, USFA-CSS # 185, BOSS# 174,  Hartford Lodge 675, Johnson County Rangers,  Green River Gunslingers, Col. Bishop's Renegades, Kentucky Col.

Offline joec

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2011, 01:59:45 PM »
Pistol targets are 11 yards or better, depending on the size at West Side NCOWS shoots. Tj

Most of my pistol shooting is in the range of 7 to 10 yards max. This is due to mostly shooting self defensive type distances. But with my 45 LC pistols and rifle I will extend that out a bit though both pistols are still fairly short 4.75" and 5.5". With my 9mm and 45acp are in the 3.5" to 5" range as far as barrel length range with higher velocity ammo. If my eye will let me I will adapt I'm sure.  ;)
Joe
NCOWS 3384

Offline Tjackstephens

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2011, 04:12:34 PM »
joec, One thing I like about NCOWS shoots, you will have to use your sights and most targets will be offset, not in a line. Are you the cowboy that is near the Johnson County Rangers? If so, their targets tend to be a little more difficult, you will have a good time with them though. Tj
Texas Jack Stephens:   NRA, NCOWS #2312,  SASS # 12303, Hiram's Ranger #22,  GAF #641, USFA-CSS # 185, BOSS# 174,  Hartford Lodge 675, Johnson County Rangers,  Green River Gunslingers, Col. Bishop's Renegades, Kentucky Col.

Offline Ottawa Creek Bill

• Vietnam Vet 1966,67 First place, Southeast Asia Rifle Team, "66/67"
  • Top Active Citizen
  • OCB, A Newer, More Gentler NCOWS Member...........
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2011, 04:13:40 PM »
SMVS...
10-20 yards pistol
30-70 yards rifle

Bill
Vice Chairman American Indian Council of Indianapolis
Vice Chairman Inter tribal Council of Indiana
Member, Ottawa-Chippewa Band of Indians of Michigan
SASS # 2434
NCOWS # 2140
CMSA # 3119
NRA LIFER

Offline joec

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2011, 04:24:17 PM »
joec, One thing I like about NCOWS shoots, you will have to use your sights and most targets will be offset, not in a line. Are you the cowboy that is near the Johnson County Rangers? If so, their targets tend to be a little more difficult, you will have a good time with them though. Tj

Yes I'm the one near Johnson County Rangers. I expect to get the rifle back on Saturday, as I just talked to Rossi and got the FedEx number. At any rate it will be fun either way just trying to get a handle on what is involved since the last time I shot this type of stuff was at Quantico, Virginia in '79 when I trained for a few weeks. Never been much of a rifleman really due to little use since very young. For me it has been all kinds of pistols over the years. I have always been able to adapt pretty quickly however but then not had the need for a couple of decades now.  ;D

Oh and once the rifle is back I expect a couple more weeks of tuning it by a local gunsmith as per Steve Gunz setup. I have the parts, the gunsmith has the DVD and now just need the smoothing of the action. Both pistols are fine for me out of the box, a new Uberti 5.5" Cattlemen and a used older ASM 4.75" barrel that I would think has been done already by someone. I have shot both pistols and faith in both up to about 10 yards but have only shot the rifle a few rounds due to failure to eject.
Joe
NCOWS 3384

Offline Cliff Fendley

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 373
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2011, 05:52:36 PM »
Someone else may chime in that knows the exact distances but I'd say the rifle targets across the creek at Johnson County Rangers are at least 50 yards. I'd guess the pistol targets are from 10 to 15 yards. The targets are not what I would consider real hard but you'll need to use the sights.

You will only need one pistol.

Look forward to seeing you in a couple weeks.
http://www.fendleyknives.com/

NCOWS 3345  RATS 576 NRA Life member

Johnson County Rangers

Offline joec

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2011, 06:54:28 PM »
Someone else may chime in that knows the exact distances but I'd say the rifle targets across the creek at Johnson County Rangers are at least 50 yards. I'd guess the pistol targets are from 10 to 15 yards. The targets are not what I would consider real hard but you'll need to use the sights.

You will only need one pistol.

Look forward to seeing you in a couple weeks.

Hopefully Cliff. My only problem is now my wife shots with a ladies group at Bud's on the 3rd Saturday every month at least till the end of the year. I will see if I can sneak away in time to make it as you are a good hour or so from me with me in Lexington. I'm also hoping the rifle gets the bugs worked out before I can shot it a bit more than I did upon buying it. Meanwhile I will also need some information on the holsters, gun belt, cloths, hat and boots etc that I own as to if they are legal for NCOWS. I am looking forward to both competing and learning the history a bit better also.  ;D
Joe
NCOWS 3384

Offline Tjackstephens

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2011, 02:36:33 AM »
joec, You couldn't be with a better group. A couple good leather makers shoot with them too. Have fun. Tj

Offline Cliff Fendley

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 373
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2011, 10:45:32 PM »
Just come shoot and have fun, dress as close as you can and the outfit will come together over time. Someone will probably have a rifle you can borrow and if you need a holster or belt I may have something you can borrow depending on your size. Just let me know and I'll bring an extra rig.

See if you can talk the ladies group into coming to Shelbyville :D I think I've got my wife talked into coming and trying it and I've got a friend coming also.

The 16th is opening day of turkey season but the turkeys will need to wait a day. ;D
http://www.fendleyknives.com/

NCOWS 3345  RATS 576 NRA Life member

Johnson County Rangers

Offline joec

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2011, 07:48:19 AM »
Just come shoot and have fun, dress as close as you can and the outfit will come together over time. Someone will probably have a rifle you can borrow and if you need a holster or belt I may have something you can borrow depending on your size. Just let me know and I'll bring an extra rig.

See if you can talk the ladies group into coming to Shelbyville :D I think I've got my wife talked into coming and trying it and I've got a friend coming also.

The 16th is opening day of turkey season but the turkeys will need to wait a day. ;D

My wife tells me a few of them are very interested in NCOWS as she brought it up at their last meeting. At this time they are heavy into tactical training and self defense but after the initial commitment she will probably come over also.

Now as for the guns those I have covered as well as the outfits (clothing). I got two compete outfits including coats from http://www.wwmerc.com/cgi-bin/category.cgi?category=home. I also have Preacher boots and 2 hats all period correct as far as design goes. I doubt the fabrics are a 100%. Now I doubt actual fabrics would be 100% pure today but close. I also got my gun belt and two holsters from them as well but not real sure about them being completely authentic though they say the are from the late 1880 or so period in time. I am planing on having a holster rig built for myself. I then to no care for the heavily carved as well as silver all over it. I prefer more of the working type holsters in dark browns. Probably a single loop or double loop design will be fine with me. I also prefer them without lining as that just seems more to the point but again I'm not sure about it.  ;D

Joe
NCOWS 3384

Offline Tjackstephens

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2011, 09:53:38 AM »
joes, You are in luck as leather maker Homer Brown shoots with JCR. He usually donates a holster for the NCOWS National. He made me two holsters for my Schofields. Tj

Offline joec

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2011, 10:28:35 AM »
joes, You are in luck as leather maker Homer Brown shoots with JCR. He usually donates a holster for the NCOWS National. He made me two holsters for my Schofields. Tj

I am trying to make it on the 16th but don't know for sure yet. If nothing else I will at least try to get there and watch a bit.
Joe
NCOWS 3384

Offline River City John

• NCOWS Senator
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Mr. & Mrs. John Covert
  • NCOWS #: L-146
  • GAF #: 275
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 485
« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2011, 07:23:30 PM »
Homer does top notch work.

RCJ
"I was born by the river in a little tent, and just like the river I've been running ever since." - Sam Cooke
"He who will not look backward with reverence, will not look forward with hope." - Edmund Burke
". . .freedom is not everything or the only thing, perhaps we will put that discovery behind us and comprehend, before it's too late, that without freedom all else is nothing."- G. Warren Nutter
NCOWS #L146
GAF #275

Offline joec

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2011, 07:49:33 PM »
Homer does top notch work.

RCJ

Well if anyone has a phone number or way of contacting Homer please feel free to PM me or email as both are listed in my profile.
Joe
NCOWS 3384

Offline jefff

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2011, 10:49:12 AM »
i will bring a 45 colt rifle for you to use if you don't get yours back.just make shure you bring all lead ammo as jacketed and gas checked are not allowed.lokking forward to the first shoot.jeff

Offline Irish Dave

• Retired Marshal
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #18 on: April 04, 2011, 10:50:31 AM »
joec:

PM or e-mail Mike Tatham (Books O'Toole). He should have Homer's contact info since he was a vendor at this year's recent convention.
Dave Scott aka Irish Dave
NCOWS Marshal Retired
NCOWS Senator and Member 132-L
Great Lakes Freight & Mining Co.
SASS 5857-L
NRA Life

irishdave5857@aol.com

Offline joec

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: April 04, 2011, 12:04:45 PM »
i will bring a 45 colt rifle for you to use if you don't get yours back.just make shure you bring all lead ammo as jacketed and gas checked are not allowed.lokking forward to the first shoot.jeff

Thanks Jeff the rifle was supposed to be delivered Saturday however Fed Ex took it upon themselves to decide not to as they said we are closed on Saturday which we aren't. Besides we live where we work so either my wife are I are usually here. So now to further confuse things in spite of the fact this is a business it was shipped as a residential hence no deliveries on Monday. Needless to say after messing with Fed Ex all day Saturday trying to get my rifle I'm going to pick it up tomorrow after they deliver it at the station. So I do expect to have the rifle back. My main thing right now is hoping to get a 1000 rounds of 45LC CA ammo in time to make it. I can't find more than a box or two around here and at a pretty rich price to boot. I generally buy my ammo in bulk most of the time since I only shoot 45 acp, 9mm, 20 gauge and 45 LC.
Joe
NCOWS 3384

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com