22cal. 51 navy??

Started by willy, March 23, 2011, 06:56:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

willy

I have a 51 navy by Uberti that is extremly accurate.
It has taken over my S&W model 17 for my small game gun.
I know that I could get on of the" MAN WITH NO NAME " guns in 38spl.
But What I would really like is a 22CAL. 51navy .
Is there any conversions out there .
Or bettre yet is there anyone else out there that would make it worth it for Uberti to turn some out!!!
Or am I the only one?  ???

Raven

Willy,

We will be introducing a .22 converter for the Colts, but we have several projects ahead of it. It is quite likely that the Italians will wait to see if ours is commercialy viable before introducing their own version, much like they did with the Remington conversion and then they will probably have to sell it as a cartridge firearm and not a conversion part due to the Laws in Italy.
If you can't wait for the production version we can build a custom version for you but it will be a little pricey as you will need to buy a standard Kirst converter and have it converted to .22. If you can wait the price will be the same as the standard converter plus the cost of the .22 barrel insert.

Raven AKA Jay Strite
Kirst Konverter LLC

Sir Charles deMouton-Black

Raven;  I think it would be neat to have a .22 conversion for my Uberti '62 Police, but after I have a conversion for my '51 and '61.
NCOWS #1154, SCORRS, STORM, BROW, 1860 Henry, Dirty Rat 502, CHINOOK COUNTRY
THE SUBLYME & HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT (SHOTS)
Those who are no longer ignorant of History may relive it,
without the Blood, Sweat, and Tears.
With apologies to George Santayana & W. S. Churchill

"As Mark Twain once put it, "History doesn't repeat itself, but it does rhyme."

Raven

Our idea is to make a converter that will fit both the 49 and the 62. We are working on it but it will take a little time.

Raven

Abilene

Those sound very cool.  Recently somebody (John Boy?) was talking about setting up to load BP .22 rounds, they would be great for this type of conversion!

Joe Lansing

Many years ago, I saw a repro '51 converted to .22 LR. It was a nice job, but it was heavy as hell.....all that barrel and cylinder thickness. I personally would like to see a long barrel '49 pocket pistol in .22.

J.L.

Bishop Creek

Quote from: Joe Lansing on March 24, 2011, 11:36:05 AM
    Many years ago, I saw a repro '51 converted to .22 LR. It was a nice job, but it was heavy as hell.....all that barrel and cylinder thickness. I personally would like to see a long barrel '49 pocket pistol in .22.

J.L.

Yes, I would like one for my 2nd Gen Colt 1862 Police, and based on Raven's comments above, it looks like that will happen.

Jamestown John

This sounds like a really neat idea!!
Jamestown John

STORM #186
American Plainsmen Society #18

willy

ok RAVEN
Looks like I'll be waiting and saving$$
I am first in line ,,,right ::)

rifle

I saw in a magazine where EMF is coming out this season with a conversion kit in 22cal.  for the Remington "58". Short cylinder with a breech chamber block in front of it.
I always thought a 22cal. rimfire Colt or Remington comversion would be quite convenient.

Raven

The .22 conversion that EMF is selling is the Kirst Konverter.

Raven
AKA Jay Strite
Kirst Konverter LLC

rifle

That is good to know Raven,since Kirst products are good ones.
I wondered how long the 22 barrel is  for the Remington?
Will the Colt have a short cylinder and that breech block type set up?

willy

Quote from: Raven on March 23, 2011, 07:09:12 PM
Willy,

We will be introducing a .22 converter for the Colts, Raven AKA Jay Strite
Kirst Konverter LLC

Not trying to tell you how to do things .
But just an idea for keeping the weight down with the 22cal. barrel would be to use a thin barrel inside the 36 cal. barrel with a barrel nut on the front and rear of the barrel on the order of the Dan Wesson revolvers.
And maybe aluminum inserts with steel sleeves in the chambers for the 22 round.
BTW-If these ideas are usable...I would be getting a discount on that first gun off the line ..right??? ;D

Raven

QuoteBTW-If these ideas are usable...I would be getting a discount on that first gun off the line ..right???
We have put a lot of thought to this project and we have to be carefull not to infringe on any patents out there. We have it worked out pretty well at this point.. so it's only a matter of time.
The prototypes are allready made... locked in the safe. You might be surprized how many people suggest ideas that we have allready incorperated in the design and they all want a free one for their idea. If we had to give away a free one to every person who thinks they contributed to our project there wouldn't be any point in making them as we would be so deep in a hole we would never make a profit. So dream on ;D
I can tell you all the design work is done before we even start talking to the public about it.

Raven ;D

Bishop Creek

Quote from: Raven on March 27, 2011, 03:55:23 PM
The prototypes are allready made... locked in the safe.

Raven ;D

Which makes me curious as to how I ended up with a prototype .45 Kirst Konverter from the '90s (on the right in the picture below). Where these sold Raven?

Raven

Bishop Creek,

What you have is not a prototype. It is a very very early production model from just before the Patent being issued. The set screws are a feature listed in the patent as an adjustable foot. For ease of production the feature was changed to the foot in current use which is adjustable with a few strokes of a file.
Some of the earliest prototypes were actualy castings.
We are constantly making improvements to the design as can be seen by comparing the two converters you have. The most recent cylinders are the closest to a true drop-in as we have ever produced but it will be hard to tell from just looking at them.

Raven

Raven

As products make it to the market place a few "prototypes" have been sold.
I have been buying back or trading for some of those that have made it out there. At this point I believe I have most of the major variations of Walt's invention in my personal collection. I even have the original prototypes and Walt's patent model Remington and several variations of the Ring and Cylinder made for it 8)
I plan on building a display that documents the evolution of the Kirst Konverter.
Raven

Bishop Creek

Thanks Raven. Any idea as to what year mine was made? I bought it in 2001.

Raven

The way batch numbers are marked has changed over time, But I would say May 2000. I will check with Walt and get back to you

Raven

Bishop Creek

Thanks. That would explain why it works so well in my 1999 made Pietta Remington. The cylinder timing is off when I place it in my other three, and later, made Pietta Remingtons.

P.S. When you get the display case finished, post a picture of it on this forum. I think the Kirst Konverter, even my early one, is a wonderful design.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com