Original 1894 Winchester SRC

Started by triple w, March 10, 2011, 10:36:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

triple w

I have a original 1894 SRC in 30 WCF, could I use it in my impression of a Lawman/Pinkerton of the 1895-99 era as long as I use lead cast bullets?  :-\

BOLD# 986, STORM# 352,   The Winchester 1876 Society,
1860 Henry Rifle Shooters Roster #123, Spencer Shooting Society #318

Irish Dave

TripleW:

Firstly, very nice rifle!

Secondly, the .30WCF cartridge would be great as a side match caliber, but as a recognized "rifle" cartridge would not be a legal Main Match cartridge. It's pretty much pistol cartridges only with an occasional exception (.56-50 Spencer etc) that have specifically been approved by the Congress for Main Match use -- and even then only with the OK of the host, if I recall correctly.
Obviously, it's the issue of power levels, target damage etc. that limit Mains cartridges to pistol calibers.

Hope this helps.

Dave Scott aka Irish Dave
NCOWS Marshal Retired
NCOWS Senator and Member 132-L
Great Lakes Freight & Mining Co.
SASS 5857-L
NRA Life

irishdave5857@aol.com

triple w

I found this interesting article and thought I would try these loads (w/soft lead) in my 94. I had better keep my 1866 carbine replica too! ;)

In December of 1896, Winchester began offering special .30 W.C.F. "Short Range" ammunition for to be used for "small game where the more powerful cartridge is not necessary". Cartridges contained a 100 gr. lead bullet and 6 grains of powder. The cartridge illustration in this catalog was shown as the .30-6-100.

Back in those days of yore, when it took several weeks of pay just to buy one rifle, the versatility offered by these new "Short Range" cartridges allowed a family the use of one gun for all hunting situations.

In 1904, Winchester increased the lead bullet weight from 100 to 117 grs. and changed the bullet profile from a round nose to a flat point. UMC ( Union Metallic Cartridge Co.) had similar offerings.

These "Short Range" cartridges were easily identified by having a cannelure part way down the case neck. It was used to keep the soft, pure lead bullet from being pushed into the case under spring pressure while in the magazine.

Winchester .30 W.C.F. "Short Range" ammunition was cataloged until the mid 1920's when it was taken out of production.

Velocities were never listed in any of the catalogs, but some original lead bulleted cartridges were obtained, the obsolete powder and bullets extracted and reload into modern brass. Velocities ranged between 1120 to 1200 f.p.s. depending on bullet weight.

In an effort to duplicate this historical ammunition, numerous current powders were tested and it was found that 5.5 grains of Winchesters 231 or Hodgdon's HP38 worked the best, giving velocities in the same range (between 1120 to 1200 f.p.s. depending on bullet weight). 6 grains of 4756 also worked well and matched the original powder charge. 6.0 grains of Trail boss works very well, and, in fact, just may be the best powder for that application since it fills about 1/2 of the case.

Bullets used were the 100 gr. RCBS and Lyman's 115 gr. 3118 made from wheel weights and sized to .311 dia. Marshall's 115 gr. FP would work well too.
(Since these bullets are much harder than pure lead, they will stay where they are seated even if they are not crimped.)

No fillers of any kind were used and accuracy was excellent, giving groups of 3/4" to 1 1/4" at 50 yards and 1 1/2" - 2 1/2" groups at 100 yards. I have fired them out to 200 meters on the NRA High Power Steel Chickens and they perform well at that distance! What fun!

These loads work the same way in the game fields today, as they did 100 years ago. So, if you want to step back in time, go woods wandering with your favorite .30-30 lever gun in small game season with it's magazine filled with replications of this historic ammunition.

In that bygone era when mother nature provided the meat supply, the soft spoken report of the .30 W.C.F. "Short Range" cartridge meant sustenance for many families.
(article credits: http://shootersforum.com/showthread.htm?t=2202)
BOLD# 986, STORM# 352,   The Winchester 1876 Society,
1860 Henry Rifle Shooters Roster #123, Spencer Shooting Society #318

Irish Dave

Interesting information, TW. Can't say I've read that before. Thanks for sharing it with us.

Dave Scott aka Irish Dave
NCOWS Marshal Retired
NCOWS Senator and Member 132-L
Great Lakes Freight & Mining Co.
SASS 5857-L
NRA Life

irishdave5857@aol.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com