Author Topic: Fish pommel slicker repair?  (Read 2828 times)

Offline John William McCandles

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
Fish pommel slicker repair?
« on: March 06, 2011, 05:16:55 AM »

Well I made a hole in my modern version of the Fish pommel slicker. Is there any way to do a repair?

Thanks
JW
NCOWS #1792
SASS #963
STORM #59
Johnson County Rangers
The Old West Players
Alpine Outlaws (Inactive)
NRA Life
NAHC Life
U.S. Navy Submarine Service Retired

Offline Shotgun Franklin

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Fish pommel slicker repair?
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2011, 08:32:43 AM »
Depends, what kinda hole and was material lost?
Yes, I do have more facial hair now.

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2011, 09:34:00 AM »
Sew the hole up, use a piece of muslin if needed.  Got to the hardware store and match the color as close as possible with acrylic latex and put a couple or three coats over the patch.

(The modern one use acrylic latex rather than the fish oil based oil paint of the originals.  That way they don't catch on fire as easily and don't smell like dead fish.  Ever wonder why they called them a fish?)
Mongrel Historian

Always get the water for the coffee upstream from the herd.

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

The time has passed so quick, the years all run together now.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 04:11:27 PM »

Offline River City John

• NCOWS Senator
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Mr. & Mrs. John Covert
  • NCOWS #: L-146
  • GAF #: 275
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 484
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2011, 10:30:43 AM »
If you could stand to have the bottom edge or the cuffs hemmed, that could give you some patching material that you wouldn't have to match colors.
Or, plenty of pictures of patching of clothes using other fabrics. Maybe just a patch of oil-cloth sewn over the hole. Might be a good conversation piece about how you received that bullet hole . . . .  ;)

If you haven't lost any material, just sewing up the tear would work.

The automotive product Armor-All TM would make a good waterproofing sealant to the sewn area.

RCJ
"I was born by the river in a little tent, and just like the river I've been running ever since." - Sam Cooke
"He who will not look backward with reverence, will not look forward with hope." - Edmund Burke
". . .freedom is not everything or the only thing, perhaps we will put that discovery behind us and comprehend, before it's too late, that without freedom all else is nothing."- G. Warren Nutter
NCOWS #L146
GAF #275

Offline Shotgun Franklin

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2011, 09:52:41 PM »
Often with a homemade slicker you'll find bits of excess fabric on the inside around pockets, the shoulders or along a long seam. If you want it to look authentic hand sew it. Rips are easier than missing fabric, usually.
Yes, I do have more facial hair now.

Offline Dutch Limbach

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Great Lakes Freight & Mining Co.
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2011, 10:54:54 PM »
When my Rendezvousing tent needed patching I took a piece of material similar to the tent and slightly larger than the hole. I laid the tent on a table with the inside up. I laid the patch material over the hole and lightly marked around it with a pencil. I spread a healthy coat of rubber cement in the marked area and on the patch. Placed the patch over the hole and pressed down firmly. I wiped off ant excess glue and let the glue set up for a while. Then I took a needle and thread and stitched over the hole.

When done I put a couple of coats of waterproofing on the inside and out.
"Men do not differ much about what they will call evils; they differ enormously about what evils they will call excusable."
-- G. K. Chesterton

"I guess when you turn off the main road, you have to be prepared to see some funny houses."
-- Stephen King

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com