Author Topic: AWA Lightning Rifle  (Read 5237 times)

Offline Colt Fanning

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
AWA Lightning Rifle
« on: February 09, 2011, 04:53:14 PM »
Howdy,
Does anyone have any experience with the Colt Lightning Rifles made by American Western Arms?

Regards
Colt

Offline Pancho Peacemaker

• NCOWS Texican Senator
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #3120, SASS #75813
    • Pancho's Videos
  • Liked:
Re: AWA Lightning Rifle
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2011, 06:44:17 PM »
Howdy,
Does anyone have any experience with the Colt Lightning Rifles made by American Western Arms?

Regards
Colt

Regarding Lightning replicas: 

1)  I had a very bad experience with the Beretta/Uberti replica
2)  I've had very good experience with the Pedersoli replica  (you are welcome to shoot mine at a match if you'd like.)

I've read lots of opinion on the internet regarding the AWA's.  What I've read indicates that they will work after some gunsmithing.

Pancho
NRA - Life
NRA-ILA
TSRA - Life
S&W Collectors Association

"A vote is like a rifle: its usefulness depends upon the character of the user."
-T. Roosevelt (1858 - 1919)

Offline Digger

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2011, 11:54:50 AM »
I have one [AWA] that I've been very pleased with.  .38 special.  I've used it in a couple of matches with no problems out-of-the-box.  I haven't had anything done to it, but I have been planning to strip it down for a cleaning and look for any burrs, etc.  The manual recommends RNFP, but I have occasionally used wad cutters and RN when it was all I had, without problems.  Being a tube magazine, I'd recommend couldn't hurt to stick to some kind of flat nose.

I'm actually considering getting one in .45LC too (or maybe a Henry), so yes, I'd buy another.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 04:46:12 PM »

Offline Patrick Henry Brown

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2011, 12:02:30 PM »
I have a Beretta Gold Rush that I bought a month or so ago from Oklahoma Tom. Had some problems when I first got it, but removed the buttstock and gave it a real good cleaning to remove as much of the factory grease and goop that I could. Tried it out last week with BVAC 255 grain 45LC ammo from Cheaper Than Dirt and ran 50 rounds thru it with no problems. I've also shot their 200 grn. RNFP as well. My carbine has been refurbed by the Beretta folks. I'm keeping my fingers crossed since I know Pancho had some real problems with his. I'm planning on shooting it Saturday at the Ten Horns, so we'll see how it and I do in the heat of battle.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com